Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tdw

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2011

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Question Raymarine X-5

I just finished the install yesterday. This replaced an old A4000S.
After going thru the initiation circle-turning, I tried the "learning" sequence, but it did not "pass". Dealer asks that we try it again, after correcting the motor polarity... and we will do so tomorrow.
No problem with doing so, and the dealer will do whatever it takes to make it right.
My question is more about other sailors' experiences with this unit. I figure that since it's been out since '08 (?) the bugs should be out by now.

So any anecdotal stuff/trivia would be interesting.

TIA,

LB
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-27-2011

f182 is on a distinguished road
We just replaced our old 4000 series with X5 GP tiller pilot took a few circles to swing the compass.
The auto learn went well under sail in 15knts just reaching in a 1.5m swell. Passed our auto learn by step 10.
Compared to the old pilot the X5 with gyro holds course very well in all conditions.
The pilot had a hard break-in period as the first 2 day of use we did two 180Nm days broad reach to square running poled out in 25 to 35 kntots and a combined sea and swell of up to 6m.
The old pilot would be driving very hard full lock prt to stb squared running but the new X5 just held course.

Great bit of kit.
Old 07-27-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
We have an X5 on the old girl.

Polarity thing is a good possibility. If that does not work check the positioning of your fluxgate. I had the same problem with the whole learning thing and it turned out to be the fluxgate position.
kymnlin likes this.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 08-09-2011

kymnlin is on a distinguished road
"We have an X5 on the old girl. "

Hi, what size is " the old girl" I am trying to decide if the X5 Will work on my 30ft Spencer it is about 4 tonne laden and a bit touchy down wind. The old st4000 after many hours of use and all most as many in the workshop at home being fixed has gone completely dead. It could not keep much of a course down wind in a 2 meter chop! Hoping the X5 would be better?

cheers

Alices venture
Old 08-09-2011

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb X-5 autopilot notes

Yesterday we did the "Learning" final step for the new AP and it Passed.
It is interesting to turn the control over to the AP and let it wander the boat in both directions while doing this. Took two tries when we started running out of room on one side of the river the first time. You really do need about a quarter mile of open water, front and both sides when commencing this part.

Looking back, the oddest part of the install was the need to reverse the polarity for the power to the motor drive. Our dealer said we might have to do this and he was right. Another boat in our moorage found the same problem when he did the same install a month ago. The Raymarine book is informative otherwise, but this should have been covered better.

Cheers,
LB

ps: I would have reported back sooner, but I lost a week on some pesky engine maintenance stuff what resulted in a whole new entry on my blog over at EY.org. (Sigh...)

pps: our boat is a 34 foot sloop that displaces about 11K pounds in light-load trim, if that helps anyone interpreting AP specs.

Last edited by olson34; 08-09-2011 at 06:48 PM.
Old 08-09-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by kymnlin View Post
"We have an X5 on the old girl. "

Hi, what size is " the old girl" I am trying to decide if the X5 Will work on my 30ft Spencer it is about 4 tonne laden and a bit touchy down wind. The old st4000 after many hours of use and all most as many in the workshop at home being fixed has gone completely dead. It could not keep much of a course down wind in a 2 meter chop! Hoping the X5 would be better?

cheers

Alices venture
The old girl is a 34' Van de Stadt sloop, aka Silver Raven. My guess would be that we displace a couple of tonnes more than you so you should be fine. X5 max displacement is 7.5 tonnes. We are around 6.5t off the plans though I'd reckon we are probably closer to seven fully loaded.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 08-10-2011

Cptken is on a distinguished road
Every time you secure power the X5 resets to a response level 5. Part of my leaving the dock checklist is to push the standby button until the response screen, then use the -1 button to reset it to 2 or 3 depending on the conditions. Really cuts down on the amount of self correction.
Old 08-10-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptken View Post
Every time you secure power the X5 resets to a response level 5. Part of my leaving the dock checklist is to push the standby button until the response screen, then use the -1 button to reset it to 2 or 3 depending on the conditions. Really cuts down on the amount of self correction.

In the setup menu there is a way to change the default response level. I don't have manula with me so cannot give you exact details but if you run through setup in the manual it will show you how.