Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2011
Banned

JeffreySiegel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffschultz View Post
It's my understanding that IOS 5, which will be released in Oct will include Flash support.
I'd be surprised to see Flash 11 support in Safari under IOS 5.

I know that Air 3 support will be there because it's there now under IOS 4.

I think a lot of people would be surprised to see how many thousands of games for the iPhone and especially the iPad were written in Flash/ActionScript/Air. Some of the hottest iPad games are well-known to have been written in Air/Flash:
http://www.flashstreamworks.com/arch..._id=1315521136

Flash 11 and Air 3 add a new 3D capability that is very nice. If you write 3D code to the new API, it'll use 3D hardware on the target platform if it exists and emulate it in software if it doesn't. This brings 3D capabilities to many more developers.

I'm working on a new, simple anchor alarm in Air right now (it's not 3D). For me it has the huge advantage of allowing it to run on the iPhone, iPad, and Android phone/tabs with the exact same code - zero code change. It could easily work inside a browser or on Windows/Mac too except they don't have native GPS support like iOS/Android does.

An anchor alarm is a great example of something that fits Air/Flash really well in my opinion. It only needs to do an update once a second which Flash can easily handle. Also, no one would use it, especially overnight, without plugging in the device.

I hope to publish the apps in the Apple App Store and Android Market. And of course, they'll be free.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-02-2012

griff7778 is on a distinguished road
Re: Active Captain & iPad Aarghhhhhh

sooooo...you can't use AC on the ipad then? i'm lost...if you can would someone be kind enough to explain how?
Old 08-02-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Sort of.

I cannot use the browser on the iPad to see the cruising guide on the AC website. Adobe Flash is not supported by Apple.

I can access the AC reviews through the Tides and Charts app that I use on the iPad.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 08-02-2012

Skippyman is on a distinguished road

I have "Charts & Tides" app on our I-pad and it is close to worthless when it comes to using AC. Is there any other app that will allow you to access routs as well as reviews from AC ?
Old 08-02-2012
Banned

I've been using Charts & Tides for over 2 years - I helped test and debug it. They only use NOAA vector charts so if there aren't NOAA vector charts for the area you're in, the chart support is poor. In all cases, the ActiveCaptain support is excellent - the best of all products that exist currently. They've also added Canadian CHS charts recently.

Today eSeaChart and SailTimer also support ActiveCaptain offline on the iPad. Garmin's app is about to be released with support as well. SailTimer is especially interesting because of the TDD/wind/tacking calculations they do. It just came out 2 weeks ago.
Old 08-02-2012

Thanks Jeff, now can you do something about the down load time.
Old 08-02-2012
Banned

The download time is only bad the first time you load the data - and it's compressed and doesn't use a lot of bandwidth even over cellular. After that, it only downloads the items that have changed since the last download.

Anyway, the reason it's big is because there's so much data - which is exactly why you want to load it in the first place!
Old 08-02-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyman View Post
I have "Charts & Tides" app on our I-pad and it is close to worthless when it comes to using AC. Is there any other app that will allow you to access routs as well as reviews from AC ?
I've been using Charts & Tides since its commercial release. It is a great app. Why do you think it is useless? Without really clear data I would think you're missing something.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 08-02-2012

Jef, I should have said that I was joking. I have spotty internet service. AC is great service and I have and would recommend it ti all my friends. As to the use of Charts & Tides, I was referring it my inability to see routs I have created and also the icons are just colored dots.
Old 08-02-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyman View Post
Jef, I should have said that I was joking. I have spotty internet service. AC is great service and I have and would recommend it ti all my friends. As to the use of Charts & Tides, I was referring it my inability to see routs I have created and also the icons are just colored dots.
Skippy. Go back and press the edit button on your post then, because that is not at all what you said and there was no ability to sense a joke.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.