Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-02-2012
Well-wisher

pschoonveld is on a distinguished road
Re: Active Captain & iPad Aarghhhhhh

Technical politics aside, I like eseachart quite a lot. It's cheap and has raster charts, which I enjoy. It has quite a few usability issues, but my main purposes are at route planning at home and activecaptain while underway. With the iPad being poor at best in daylight, I wouldn't use much of the chart plotting underway.

The other thing is that I like using eseachart to look at distant places. I can explore key west, my old stomping grounds on the great lakes and NY harbor, with AC info, without buying more charts.

It doesn't replace more full featured options, but it suits my needs.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-03-2012

Skippyman is on a distinguished road

Minnewaska, you are absolutely correct. I worded the post poorly and I should have corrected it, as regarding AC. I do not like Charts and Tides for the reasons stated. Pschoonveld, Easeachart got poor reviews. "I've used this app a few times now and it's been okay. When it works it works well and gives you quick accurate info on depths and position. Unfortunately you can sail off the edge of the map. I couldn't get it to load the next map." "I bought this because it claims active captain support. I don't know because it won't allow me to enter my road runner email address as required for logging in to active captain. I reported this via email three times, and once via their web site. I get an auto reply, but that's the extent of their support." What has been your experience accessing Active Captain?
Old 08-03-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

The first download of the Active Captain database takes some time and is best done on a good wifi connection, not cellular. I update about monthly, which takes a minute or so via cellular. I had no trouble using my name and pwd.

p.s. skippy, you still haven't amended your post.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 08-05-2012
Banned

JeffreySiegel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Skippy. Go back and press the edit button on your post then, because that is not at all what you said and there was no ability to sense a joke.
It was OK. It's a common question - I'm happy to answer here and hit a dozen people with the same question rather than be asked it ten times in private.

There is another website (a major one too) that is implementing their own non-Flash support for ActiveCaptain. They're adding some significant other content to it too. It's a huge announcement set for the next few weeks and it'll provide another alternative that's totally free for online access to the data.