Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2011
Much to learn...

Capt-T is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Capt-T
[QUOTE=Minnewaska;765222 However, I just bought an Ipad and it makes the thing seem as primitive as a chalkboard. Forget OpenCPN. You can get a real navigation app for $25 with no chart and gps integration work at all. The Ipad also works great inside a waterproof case. OpenCPN, which I've used, is cool because its free. However, its free for a reason.
[/QUOTE]

Minnewaska... I too am an iPad fan. Not even sure people would be actually talking about "Tablets" if it wasn't for the last year or so of the iPad explosion. I've seen a couple other tablets... HP is one that comes to mind... that are tremendously slow and can't even load a webpage at a reasonable speed, much less run a Navigation app.

Might want to check out this application... iNavX™ - Marine Navigation App for iPhone and iPad

I have no affiliation with the company and honestly am so new to sailing that I can't "recommend" the software... but I did take a look at it and it seems to be fairly powerful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-24-2011
Beneteau 411

prroots is on a distinguished road
Based largely upon feedback received, I would like to modify my requirements as follows:
- runs Windows or Ubuntu (ie, OpenCPN compatible)
- touch screen
- min 2 USB ports (for external mouse and keyboard)
- solid state drive (for reliability)
- screen size 10-12 inch
- low power consumption
- bootable USB capability (to install OS, etc)
- no fan or other moving parts
- price < $300 (used or new)

I'm imagining a very simple tablet type PC which would be dedicated to navigation. I would very much appreciate the names of candidate tablet PC to investigate.
Thanks.
Pete
Old 08-24-2011
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road
We've used tablets for the last 8 years at work.. the Viewsonic I pointed him to, was a "slate tablet without a keyboard," manufactured almost 10 years ago now. Unlike the IPAD, it had firewire, vga, touch screen, and could run things called PROGRAMS... like I dunno.... Office.

I like the iPad, but like everything Apple, it isn't new, or innovative, it is just "pretty." By "pretty" I mean generally needlessly expensive.

With your critieria... you eliminate the ipad, unless you want to do bluetooth for your keyboard and mouse.

You are likely better off with a Netbook.. in that price range... just saying. 10 inch is all I remember seeing in a netbook (I don't think they made a 12 in any brand).

the no fan or moving parts? Hmmm. So you want a netbook with a solid state hard drive then... I think the criteria are too high for that price range new I bet, unless you are talking used. Have you tried www.geeks.com and looked for one?

PS: blast me all you want, I own an iphone4, replaced my droid2 with it. Have to say I miss my Droid.. but the iphone is better built.

Last edited by SHNOOL; 08-24-2011 at 03:59 PM.
Old 08-24-2011
Beneteau 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHNOOL View Post
We've used tablets for the last 8 years at work.. the Viewsonic I pointed him to, was a "slate tablet without a keyboard," manufactured almost 10 years ago now. Unlike the IPAD, it had firewire, vga, touch screen, and could run things called PROGRAMS... like I dunno.... Office.

I like the iPad, but like everything Apple, it isn't new, or innovative, it is just "pretty." By "pretty" I mean generally needlessly expensive.

With your critieria... you eliminate the ipad, unless you want to do bluetooth for your keyboard and mouse.

You are likely better off with a Netbook.. in that price range... just saying. 10 inch is all I remember seeing in a netbook (I don't think they made a 12 in any brand).

the no fan or moving parts? Hmmm. So you want a netbook with a solid state hard drive then... I think the criteria are too high for that price range new I bet, unless you are talking used. Have you tried Geeks.com - Computer parts, Laptop computers, Desktop computers, Computer hardware and looked for one?

PS: blast me all you want, I own an iphone4, replaced my droid2 with it. Have to say I miss my Droid.. but the iphone is better built.
Yes, the iPad does not meet my criteria. A netbook doesn't either based upon my desire to mount a tablet without keyboard on a bulkhead. Yes, I may very well end up buying used to meet my price point. It won't take very high performance for a dedicated tablet PC to run OpenCPN. I'm still trying to figure out how to determine which tablets might run Ubuntu. That would make a very robust dedicated nav computer.
Pete
Old 08-24-2011
Much to learn...

I always love it when people post "criteria" for a new hardware device based on the pieces, parts, or other techno-useless-stats that it contains. I've always tried to define my "criteria" based on what I'm trying to accomplish. How I get there isn't as large a concern of mine as efficiency, usability and the ability to get the job done.

Henry Ford once said... "If I had asked my customers what they needed, they would have said 'A Faster Horse'"... I guess you know what you need more than I do... but I hope you honestly need an outdated firewire or usb port and aren't just including those because they sound Techno.

To the OP... The HP Touchpad should definitely be in your short list to look at. I think it will meet most of your criteria and should suit your needs well.
Old 08-24-2011
Beneteau 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt-T View Post
To the OP... The HP Touchpad should definitely be in your short list to look at. I think it will meet most of your criteria and should suit your needs well.
I'm confused. I took a look at the HP Touchpad and it seems to run something called WebOS? That doesn't sound OpenCPN compatible unless I missed something?
Pete
Old 08-24-2011
Much to learn...

Proots... based on your specific specifications, I had assumed you were willing to install your own OS. You had even mentioned in previous posts about installing your own OS via bootable USB (see post #12).

See the following article for more info... Ubuntu Linux will run on the HP TouchPad
Old 08-24-2011
Beneteau 411

Quote:
Proots... based on your specific specifications, I had assumed you were willing to install your own OS. You had even mentioned in previous posts about installing your own OS via bootable USB (see post #12).

See the following article for more info... Ubuntu Linux will run on the HP TouchPad
Sounds good although the article claims you must install Ubuntu alongside WebOS. Of course, if any are still available at $99 then one might make do! Looks like they're going for $250-300 on eBay. As an aside, I'd really like to find an article describing which tablets can accept Ubuntu.
Pete

Last edited by prroots; 08-24-2011 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-24-2011
Much to learn...

The $99 deal came and went like a flash. I even heard of some who had placed orders on Amazon that got later cancelled by Amazon because they didn't have enough stock to fulfill the order at $99. Hardly makes sense, seeing that a few days later they had them listed at $299... but possibly these were from different suppliers, as I know Amazon does utilize various third party suppliers.

[APOLOGY FOR GETTING ON MY SOAPBOX/] Problem is for me... Ubuntu, Windows, Linux and most other OS's I've worked with have needed way too much hand-holding and tinkering to keep them running smoothly... and sometimes far from that. I've worked in an IT related field for 20 years, so I know how to keep systems running. But I want my system to work for me, not the other way around. That's why I drank the koolaid and switched to iOS (believe me, it was a struggle). It just works and for the most part, I haven't found anything I'm not able to do.

I switched from trying to get my Horse to go Faster... and got an iPad. Haven't regretted it. [/APOLOGY END]
Old 08-24-2011
Beneteau 411

Quote:
The $99 deal came and went like a flash. I even heard of some who had placed orders on Amazon that got later cancelled by Amazon because they didn't have enough stock to fulfill the order at $99. Hardly makes sense, seeing that a few days later they had them listed at $299... but possibly these were from different suppliers, as I know Amazon does utilize various third party suppliers.

[APOLOGY FOR GETTING ON MY SOAPBOX/] Problem is for me... Ubuntu, Windows, Linux and most other OS's I've worked with have needed way too much hand-holding and tinkering to keep them running smoothly... and sometimes far from that. I've worked in an IT related field for 20 years, so I know how to keep systems running. But I want my system to work for me, not the other way around. That's why I drank the koolaid and switched to iOS (believe me, it was a struggle). It just works and for the most part, I haven't found anything I'm not able to do.

I switched from trying to get my Horse to go Faster... and got an iPad. Haven't regretted it. [/APOLOGY END]
Apology accepted. Actually I have a wide tolerance for different viewpoints; you learn more that way. It's interesting that Ubuntu is developing a new version just for tablets:
Ubuntu for Tablet PCs Coming Soon | Ubuntu Powered Tablets Coming in 2011
Pete

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.