Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2011

ron_hudson is on a distinguished road
i Have been on a similar quest.
Although I sail on lake champlain I wanted a tablet with real gps. The reason being that the holding ground in many parts of the lake is not good so I wanted to use an anchor watch.
I wanted good battery life for a weekend sail. Nearly all tablets are a problem to recharge since they need to come down from 110 volts since they need a good transformer that will use a pure sine wave. I have read that this is not absolutely necessary, but i wanted to protect the battery as much as possible.
I wanted machine that would use apps; anchor watch, navionics etc.
I wanted a tablet with at least 9 inches of screen as this will make it easier for my wife to navigate by especially since you can change the zoom with your fingers; cant do that with windows easily.
So the one I have purchased is the le pan; a nicely made android machine that fits all of the above.It cost me just over $200.00 plus another $40 for the 32g sd card. So I have now loaded up music and all the boat manuals onto it.
I may have one problem and that is the fitting of the le pan into a mount. A le pan is not exactly the same size as an ipad its 9.3 inches as against the ipad's 9.5 . The mount I chose is the Konig and Meyer. It was originally meant for a music stand but I was told that it is quite rugged being German made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-19-2011
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
I don't understand all this concern about pure sine waves. Computers run off of DC voltage, and use heavy, inefficient rectifiers in their attempt to convert AC to DC current. A boat battery provides about the purest DC voltage that you're going to get. So forget the invertor and plug your laptop or tablet into a 12V DC outlet. If your computer needs 18-19v (as with some brands) get an auto power adapter that steps up the DC voltage directly, without converting to AC.

It seems to me to just be silly to use an inverter to convert the boat's DC to AC, then use an adapter to convert it back to DC again. Why not just leave it as DC?

What Android chart plotter apps are out there? I'd consider an Android tablet if there was a decent chart plotter app that could receive AIS via NMEA over Bluetooth.

Also, has anyone looked at this Windows tablet? I'm waiting for the price to come down and/or for Windows 8 to come out:

MSI WindPad 10-inch Windows Tablet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 12-20-2011

Thanks for the input on the sine wave; one less thing to worry about. I must confess the AIS input had not been a concern for me as I am on a lake.Although my wife insists that we turn tail and run as soon as a speck appears on the horizon. I do have earthNC on my tablet and it appears that they are linking up with google earth to incorporate AIS. I also downloaded an AIS app for my droid this morning and tried it out on the boat taxi from Hoboken to NYC. I was impressed, the chart was a little slow to up date but it also gives a list of nearby boats with distance and bearing and time to contact( nice euphamism).
Old 12-20-2011
Proud "picnic sailor"

Sorry, I didn't mean to mislead you about AIS. AIS is probably unnecessary on a lake. I sail on a busy river with a lot of freighters, so I need to stay out of their way. They all transmit their location, speed, course, vessel ID, etc. by AIS, so an AIS receiver is very useful for me. My AIS receiver is set to transmit its NMEA sentences by Bluetooth. My netbook picks up the Bluetooth and displays the ship locations on OpenCPN chartplotter software. It's all described in this thread, but probably more detail than you want to know.

When I referred to receiving AIS by Bluetooth, I was not referring to AIS websites or any AIS data that a Droid app would pull off the Internet. That data is not suitable for real-time navigation. The stuff you get off the Internet is subject to time delays and blackout zones. Do not rely on it while you're out on the boat. I was referring to a chartplotter app that could receive NMEA sentences (for GPS, AIS, and other instruments) over Bluetooth.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
Old 12-21-2011

mbu7454 is on a distinguished road
Dear Ron,
thank you for your replay.
I personal think it’s a better idea to have a DC converter from 12 volt to the needs of your PC, instead af gooing from 12 DC to 110 AC and back to DC for your PC., less power consumption.
At the other hand, I want to use a tablet as a fully navigation system, with Maxsea. If I put my laptop with the Maxsea maps in the cockpit table, the screen moves all the time and one day something go to brack,or the boat is under an angel and the PC goes from the left to the right, no good of corse.
The problem is, I don’t know if I can load Maxsea on that Le Pen pc. If I have to buy all the maps it go to be far too expensive.
Best regards.
Willy
Old 12-26-2011

The Kerig and Meyer mount came before Xmas, and although I liked the quality my tablet doesn't fit so is going to have to go back. So the lesson learnt is; if buying a non standard tablet for navigation be careful about the mount you buy. more research is needed.
Old 12-29-2011
Proud "picnic sailor"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_hudson View Post
The Kerig and Meyer mount came before Xmas, and although I liked the quality my tablet doesn't fit so is going to have to go back. So the lesson learnt is; if buying a non standard tablet for navigation be careful about the mount you buy. more research is needed.
The RAM Mount toughtray II should work perfectly, when purchased with the right hardware. I got mine at GPScity.com. I'm traveling now so can't link what I bought, but if you search my other posts you'll find a link with pics.

Old 01-06-2012

another idea

First I solved the mount problem...its a ram mount and I think it will be just fine very rugged and stable.
Does anyone know if Open CPN will work on Windows CE version 6? On the website it mentions that its compatible with windows 98.
Old 01-17-2012

bandaidmd is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
Good luck with your system. As you are probably aware, I have a netbook in the cockpit. It receives GPS and sends commands to the autopilot via duplex Bluetooth @ 4800 baud, and receives AIS via a second Bluetooth connection @ 38400 baud.

For all you iPad users out there, is the iPad with Navionics or iNavX able to receive AIS via Bluetooth? Could a low-end iPad (without built in GPS) receive the GPS via Bluetooth? If so, I might consider mounting an iPad onto the RAM mount used for my current system:

how does the netbook get the Ais info,Is it tied into a vhf radio, does it also broadcast
I have a droid based phone and have had the navionics program on it for sometime and this Christmas the wife got me a samsung tablet. I didnt even have to pay to put the navionics app on the Tablet so I'm definitely getting a ram mount and using the 10.1" screen instead of the 4.2" garmin screen on the boat. Now i have to research AIS capability as i have yet to do much research other than the web based program.

Last edited by bandaidmd; 01-17-2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old 01-17-2012

riddon is on a distinguished road
open CPN v raymarine v Ipad

Last year I sailed from bundaberg to Malaysia. I had a Raymarine plotter, a laptop running open CPN and an Ipad with Navionics. I found the Ipad to be the most useful for most things. Only a second hand Ipad 1 with 16gb but it astonished me.
Just my 2 pence worth.
Richard Iddon

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.