Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-29-2011

DHH is on a distinguished road
SSB Receiver recommendation

I am interested in any recommendations for a SSB receiver. I want to utilize it for areas (Bahamas) where I cannot hear weather, etc. on my VHF due to distance. I have a 54' Ocean Alexander. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-29-2011

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
The Degen, Kaito, Anjan, and similar models found on eBay have received good reports. They are mostly under $100.

Don't spend more than that for a receiver, especially not the SiTex and NASA receivers. Way too expensive for what they are.

Virtually all modern marine and ham transceivers have general coverage receivers these days, so if you're going to spend more than $100-150 then I'd suggest going for a transceiver, even if you don't plan right now to use the transmit capability. You might later, and could then install it for full transceive operation.

Bill

BTW, depending on where you are in the Bahamas there are WX nets on VHF as well as HF/SSB.
Old 10-29-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
I carry a Kaito 1103 on deliveries for weather fax. It or any of the others are acceptable. You'll do much better with a higher end shortwave receiver but as Bill points out you can get good deals on a ham transceiver and just use it as a receiver.

The big deal is to get as much antenna up in the air as you can to maximize capture area. Bell wire (Radio Shack sells it as "hook-up wire") in 14, 16, or 18 gauge is just fine. I carry about 100' of 18 gauge and haul it up with the main.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-30-2011

DHH is on a distinguished road
SSB recommendations

Thank You for the info. I'll start my research with the brands you suggested.
Old 10-30-2011

aa3jy is on a distinguished road
If you have a Ham Radio Outlet (HRO)or Amateur Electronic Supply(AES) nearby..good source for info plus hands on equipment to try.

Ham Radio Outlet - World's Largest Supplier of Amateur Radio (Ham Radio) Equipment. Sales, Supplies, and Service.

Welcome to AESHAM.COM
Old 01-01-2012

VetMike is on a distinguished road
I have an Icom 7000 transceiver HF thru 70cm bands. I really like it but it does not receive on all bands. Moreover, radio shops aren't really supposed to sell you a transceiver unless you are in the FCC database as having a license. If you want an all band receiver, Grundig, although expensive, makes the best. But why not just get your ticket? No code and not a lot to learn to get the Technician ticket.
Old 01-01-2012

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by VetMike View Post
I have an Icom 7000 transceiver HF thru 70cm bands. I really like it but it does not receive on all bands. Moreover, radio shops aren't really supposed to sell you a transceiver unless you are in the FCC database as having a license. If you want an all band receiver, Grundig, although expensive, makes the best. But why not just get your ticket? No code and not a lot to learn to get the Technician ticket.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. The IC-7000 has a wideband receive capability and and excellent DSP receiver, viz...

"The receiver covers 30 kHz to 200 MHz and 400 to 470 MHz. Modes include SSB, CW, AM, FM and RTTY. The receiver has WFM for listening to FM broadcast stations and TV audio."

The radio is intended for ham-band operation only. As with most radios, it is possible to modify it ("open it") so that it will transmit outside the ham bands, but to transmit outside the ham bands is illegal .... except in an extreme emergency. You can listen anywhere, though...to marine SSB channels, aircraft channels, land-mobile, law enforcement, emergency, international broadcast, etc., etc. and the IC-7000 would be an excellent piece of equipment to use for general listening. So, too, would most modern ham rigs which have wide-band receive capability.

If you have any interest at all in someday getting your ham license, then it makes much more sense to buy a decent ham transceiver with wideband receive capability than to spend just about as much money on a quality communications receiver only. There are cheap SSB-capable receivers around $100 which are minimally OK, but they can't match the receivers in most ham transceivers.

Anyone can own a transceiver, licensed or not. However, to transmit you do need a license. The IC-7000 is a ham transceiver and, if you have the appropriate ham license, you can transmit on the ham bands (ONLY). The General Class license is the minimum to really be of use on a boat, since it permits SSB operation on many ham bands. As VetMike said, it's easy to get your ham license these days with a bit of study online, with license guides, or with local amateur radio clubs.

Bill
WA6CCA

Last edited by btrayfors; 01-01-2012 at 08:16 PM.