ST40 wind - for powerboats? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 11-02-2011 Thread Starter
No more curry buffets

ST40 wind - for powerboats?

I have been thinking of getting a set of ST40 instruments to partially modernize my older sailboat, settling on a set of ST40 (Wind, Bi-data, Compass Display) from Raymarine. However, looking on the Raymarine site, they mention that the ST40 with the Rotovecta is "designed for powerboat use"

Raymarine Marine Electronics - ST40 Wind System

I am surprised by this. I would think that the average powerboater would be only passingly interested in wind speed and direction. However, that being said, I imagine that a transducer that can stand up to 40 MPH+ runs in a powerboat can certainly stand up to any kind of breezes it would see at the top of my mast.

Is anyone using an ST40 on a sailboat? An I stuck upgrading to ST60 for much more $$$?

thanks,

R

Bashing about on Lake Ontario and Beyond
"Ariel" '79 Endeavour 32
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-03-2011

I had the ST40 bi data (speed & depth) as well as the ST40 wind with rotavecta on my Niagara 26 with no problem. I believe the issue is that the Rotavecta is straight up from the base compared to the ST60 transducer RAYMARINE STANDARD FORWARD WIND TRANSDUCER E22078 Binnacle.com which is forward of mast. If you have nothing in the way of the rotavecta transducer then you will be fine. You will likely need to get an extension to move your Wind Vane aft of mast RAYMARINE STANDARD FORWARD WIND TRANSDUCER E22078 Binnacle.com

I have seen ST40 wind used on a number of other sailboats as well. I personally prefer teh ST60 wind system but it costs 2.5 times the price of ST40

Mike

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old 11-03-2011

AFAIK, the Rotavecta transducer is not very sensitive for wind direction in light winds. It operates on the principle that one os the wind cups have a small tab attached, and the rotation is unbalanced depending on the wind direction. It only works well when there is enough wind.

The ST60 etc. unit have separate windvane that is much more capable of sensing the direction on the light wind. Something you may want on a sailboat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.