Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-02-2011
No more curry buffets

Ritchard is on a distinguished road
ST40 wind - for powerboats?

I have been thinking of getting a set of ST40 instruments to partially modernize my older sailboat, settling on a set of ST40 (Wind, Bi-data, Compass Display) from Raymarine. However, looking on the Raymarine site, they mention that the ST40 with the Rotovecta is "designed for powerboat use"

Raymarine Marine Electronics - ST40 Wind System

I am surprised by this. I would think that the average powerboater would be only passingly interested in wind speed and direction. However, that being said, I imagine that a transducer that can stand up to 40 MPH+ runs in a powerboat can certainly stand up to any kind of breezes it would see at the top of my mast.

Is anyone using an ST40 on a sailboat? An I stuck upgrading to ST60 for much more $$$?

thanks,

R
Old 11-03-2011

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road
I had the ST40 bi data (speed & depth) as well as the ST40 wind with rotavecta on my Niagara 26 with no problem. I believe the issue is that the Rotavecta is straight up from the base compared to the ST60 transducer RAYMARINE STANDARD FORWARD WIND TRANSDUCER E22078 Binnacle.com which is forward of mast. If you have nothing in the way of the rotavecta transducer then you will be fine. You will likely need to get an extension to move your Wind Vane aft of mast RAYMARINE STANDARD FORWARD WIND TRANSDUCER E22078 Binnacle.com

I have seen ST40 wind used on a number of other sailboats as well. I personally prefer teh ST60 wind system but it costs 2.5 times the price of ST40

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-03-2011

szigi is on a distinguished road
AFAIK, the Rotavecta transducer is not very sensitive for wind direction in light winds. It operates on the principle that one os the wind cups have a small tab attached, and the rotation is unbalanced depending on the wind direction. It only works well when there is enough wind.

The ST60 etc. unit have separate windvane that is much more capable of sensing the direction on the light wind. Something you may want on a sailboat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook