SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Electronics (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electronics/)
-   -   Garmin hand held marine units (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electronics/80481-garmin-hand-held-marine-units.html)

Thestar 11-05-2011 12:57 PM

Garmin hand held marine units

At last a solution has been received for the Garmin hand held GPS H72 that I use to navigate with. From new out of the box it has NO software just a mini CD that contains a manual.

I can now do the following:

A. Back-up the entire units data, including partial data.
B. Restore any saved data. Fully or partially.
C. Create new data and export in to the unit.

Data being as below:
1. Tracks,
2. Way Points.
3. Routes.

NOTE:

The model H72 is only capable of holding ten (10) Tracks, five hundred (500) Way Points and fifty (50) Routes so is a little limited.

With the use of the software I can now hold ALL the required data files on a laptop and simply import and export as required. This removes the above limitations to some degree.

Software tested and works on the following Garmin hand held models 72, 72H, 78 and 78S these are the only marine hand held units I can confirm it works with.
It may work with other Garmin devices this I cannot confirm you are welcome to try but at your own risk!

N.B. The Software DOES NOT give you any navigational charts.

The software is available to any person with a Garmin unit if you would like a copy for your device please PM me and I shall give you the download link and instructions.

Orksail 11-09-2011 05:46 PM

Garmin Software

I'm only a junior member so can't send PMs but would very much like the link for the Garmin software. (My 72 does not communicate with Seaclear on a laptop running Windows XP but works fine on my desktop which runs Windows7)
Is there another way of doing this?

Many thanks.

Thestar 11-09-2011 06:31 PM

Hi ...Windows XP with service pack 3 requires the Garmin usb driver you can down load it here :
Garmin Communicator Plugin

That is the official Garmin product that also ensures your Hand Held device has the latest software update. It is FREE of charge although they request you supply serial number of your device or it's unit I.D.

Serial N/O is behind the lid that holds the batteries.

Unit I.D. is Under the Menu option SYSTEM INFO

I shall PM you details of how to obtain Garmins latest version of their Mapsource program from their website. For your product.

I personally use OpenCPN and Mapsource under Windows XP Pro. Windows 7 and Ubunto Garmin does not offically support Ubunto (Unix O/S)

Kindest Regards Will

walker3901 01-08-2012 07:08 PM

Garmin hand held marine units

I also am only a junior member so can't send PMs but would very much like the link for the Garmin software.

Thestar 01-09-2012 05:06 PM

Keep posting to enable Knowlage Shared

Quote:

Originally Posted by walker3901 (Post 814640)
I also am only a junior member so can't send PMs but would very much like the link for the Garmin software.

Hi,

I have sent you a private (PM) message with instruction any issues please do not hesitate in contacting me 4000+NM on my handheld gps in 2011 all of uk, IRE and two trips to Morocco I back up all to Mapsource & use Opencpn for added security again a FREE package just google it.

Kindest Regards & Fair Winds Always

SinbadOz 04-10-2012 09:28 AM

Re: Garmin hand held marine units

I've just bought a 72H unit, so would appreciate the link you're offering (Ditto the junior member limitation).

Cheers

Stu Jackson 04-10-2012 09:51 PM

I'm confused about the "secret" software. When you buy a Garmin, you get a disc with Mapsource and Track & Waypoint Manager with it. Th elatter seems to be what this "secret" thing is all about.

Why is it a secret?

SinbadOz 04-11-2012 07:24 AM

I bought a brand new Garmin 72H last Saturday (from an authorised reseller rather than from Garmin itself), and all that was in the box was the GPS unit, a wrist strap, a Quick Start Guide (hard copy) and the User Manual on disc, but no Mapsource and no Track & Waypoint Manager!

hellosailor 04-11-2012 01:54 PM

"and the User Manual on disc, but no Mapsource and no Track & Waypoint Manager! "

Garmin provides a variety of software FREE on their web, which is not distributed with the devices. That's not unusual for vendors these days, it promotes registration of the device and cuts down production and shipping costs, also making it easy to make sure you have current versions when you download the software instead of buying what has been sitting on a shelf.

No big deal here.

SinbadOz 04-13-2012 06:49 AM

If only! I have read that elsewhere, but...

I've registered my new GPS with Garmin, but despite searching every option in myGarmin, can find no reference to or facility to freely download a current copy of Mapsource or Track & Waypoint Manager - nor did I get any messages from Garmin offering these!