Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-14-2011

KnottyGurl is on a distinguished road
Like anything, but this is how the CG would like to see it in the perspective of having to come rescue, the more they know the better prepared they can be. Also they were insistent on me knowing that 45 KM off shore and this is totally mute.
There you need to be using high frequency unit or SSB and those should be the same as your main MMSI number, again if in a bailout situation once you leave the vessel way off shore you are on your own and if out of VHF limits it gets harder. Thats where EPIRB comes in, and or PLB. Again these numbers should and are usefull to the CG in tracking and knowing who and what they are dealing with along with sail plan, they would know if your intended desti was bermuda or bahamas or where ever, they will and plan search and rescue based on your filed sail plan, so there is some redundency in this approach.
imho
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-14-2011

fairbank56 is on a distinguished road
I'm all for DSC. I think it is very useful for many users. If an operator doesn't want to take the time and initiative to learn how to use his radio, that's his problem but the one really great thing about it is that any idiot can lift the door and press the red button in a true distress situation without knowing anything else about DSC. Assuming of course that the radio is fully enabled with MMSI and gps hookup. There's not much we can do about boat captains that won't even go that far.

As far as the Lt. in the video being foggy?, he was totally blind! I'm still just blown away by that video. Where, oh where, did he get his information for that class???? I have emailed RadioLabs (uploader of the youtube video) and the CG but have heard back from neither. I have also found the video on other websites.

Eric
Old 11-14-2011

Eric
Agreed if one wont or does not care enoigh to setup the minimum then thats what shall be expected to rescue then. Nada.
It will be dissmissed as a blank DSC alert.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-14-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
I have an FCC issued MMSI that is attached to the boat's station license. To get another for the handheld, it seems I would need two station licenses for the same boat. That makes no sense. Do I need a third for the mounted SSB? These aren't cheap either as I recall.

I rely more on the EPIRB for a distress call anyway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-14-2011

goboatingnow is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
Yeah, it introduces a degree and level of complexity which is bound to confuse things. For the operator. For the Coast Guard. For other boats.

Some see DSC as a blessing. I'm not a fancier, since I doubt if ANYONE out there will have the same understanding as others. Multiple users of complex systems not having a common understanding is a recipe for disaster.

It needn't be so messy, but it is. Mixed signals from ITU, local jurisdictions, manufacturers, users, and "testers". Clearly, from the video even the USCG has only a foggy notion -- mostly incorrect -- of DSC operation.

Even the MMSI number itself isn't inviolable: the U.S.-only MMSI number issued by Boat U.S. and by others is different from and not as useful as the FCC-issued MMSI number recognized by the ITU. Now, the UK is joining the mess. What a clusterf..k (to use a technical military term).

Basically, DSC is just like the SELCALL system used by aircraft. That system works very well. If only the basic DSC function(s) were used -- at least in the beginning until everyone understands and is comfortable with the system -- it mightn't be so misunderstood.

Let's see now, how do I initiate or respond to a 'group call' ?

IMHO,

Bill
Yes , youre quite right, DSC should have been solely used for Distress ALerts. Its all the "routine " DSC stuff thats complicates the system. It should have just been the red button and nothing else as was orginally forseen under GMDSS. But ship owners got into the fray and saw benefits and then the usual design by commitee followed.

BTW what the USCG are advocating , ie seperate MMSI for handhelds cannot be done with the FCC issued MMSIs, but then the USCG are spectacularly badly informed about DSC.

As you say its a clusterF*&k or a compete SNAFU.

Dave
Old 11-15-2011

update:
Prescott Coast guard just called me to update my inquires, and told me that Industry Canada is making it law that all handhelds with dsc/gps capabilities MUST have their own MMSI number.
Old 11-15-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Canada must issue international MMSI numbers differently than the US. If you simply applied for a separate radio station license in the US exclusively for the handheld, there would be no connection to knowing what boat you abandon or fell off. I'm curious how that will be different in Canada.

I'm also curious whether Canada will require separate MMSI numbers for redundant mounted radios aboard, ie a back up VHF or an SSB.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 11-15-2011

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Madness!

Never underestimate the ability of bureaucracy to screw up a good thing :-)
Old 11-15-2011

Minne
In the vessel portion of my application I was instructed to put the boat name and -DINGY after.
This denotes that the main vessel name and the second is the dingy associated to my boat.
sounds stupid but it is simple and creates a link to my main number as that is also included in the application.
Bill