SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Electronics (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electronics/)
-   -   Are all VHF's not bulkhead mountable? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electronics/81601-all-vhfs-not-bulkhead-mountable.html)

Perithead 12-10-2011 05:45 PM

Are all VHF's not bulkhead mountable?

I was just out in my boat about to install my new VHF in the bulkhead by cutting a hole and (or so I thought) mount it so that only the face of the VHF is showing.

I took the face off and was going to try to "sandwich" the bulkhead between the face and the bulk of the radio when I realized that it wasn't designed that way.

I have looked on WM and I can't seem to find any VHF's that specify "bulkhead mountable" or whatever. I know I have seen several VHF's installed the way I am visualizing it....

Am I missing something?

jackdale 12-10-2011 06:16 PM

You might need a flush mount kit - sold separately.

St Anna 12-10-2011 06:39 PM

At the worst, if no other solution, you can make up a box, wooden or plastic to house the VHF. A Plastic supplyer can easily bend/shape some black/white/opaque acrylic or whatever to suit and cut the front opening perfectly.

I did this on a previous boat (10 yrs ago) and it cost me a carton of beer in total. I got the idea from my father who made up a wooden housing unit for his comms' station.

Good luck

btrayfors 12-10-2011 07:02 PM

Normally, the case of the radio behind the rubber seal is slightly smaller dimensioned. You cut a hole for this size, insert the radio into it, then use either a mounting kit or, much less expensive, make your own.

Two bent pieces of aluminum or stainless (bent into the shape of an angle bracket, with holes in each end) serve the purpose very well. This bracket screws into the mounting holes on the side of the radio, and onto the back of the panel or bulkhead. You just have to position the holes for the radio correctly so that the bracket presses up against the rear of the panel or bulkhead.

Bill

Perithead 12-11-2011 08:35 AM

Ok, I think I see it a little clearer now.

Fortunately I am a woodworker so I think I can make up some sort of box to mount it in. Reading Bill's post gave me an idea that I can ivision that should work nicely.

Do I need to worry about air flow around the unit and it overheating?

btrayfors 12-11-2011 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perithead (Post 805345)
Ok, I think I see it a little clearer now.

Fortunately I am a woodworker so I think I can make up some sort of box to mount it in. Reading Bill's post gave me an idea that I can ivision that should work nicely.

Do I need to worry about air flow around the unit and it overheating?

Yes. Be sure to provide for good ventilation.

Perithead 12-12-2011 08:07 PM

Thanks everyone, I think I have it figured out. I worked on it quite a bit today and almost have it tackled, it's going to work out well.