SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Isatphone for data

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  riddon 
#1 ·
Hi.
I'm new to this forum. I wondered is anyone using an Isatphone for email / data on board? I have recently bought one but the noises I am hearing as that it is not very good for data.

Richard Iddon.

#2 ·
Iridium is good. No Sat phone gives you practical access to email accounts like Yahoo and gmail. Sat phone bandwidth is reliable but slow, and so you need to establish a separate low bandwidth email account. Ocens is a company that has good support and offers all of this.

#3 ·
I have been using Iridium but was recently tempted with an Isatphone as the airtime is half the cost per minute and lasts two years. I have wasted a lot of money on Iridium airtime in the past when I have been off the boat and it has expired. My query was specifically aimed at Isatphone as I have been told it is not that good for data and can prove more expensive despite the minutes being half the price of Iridium.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.