Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2012

ambianceack is on a distinguished road
I agree and think you should install it yourself. For that amount of a qoute on labor I would research and develop a plan then complete the install myself. I am planning to switch our radar/GPS and plan to complete the work myself; just not sure of the system. I am sure I will have some difficulty but it is time on the boat and I am not in any rush when working on me boat. Beyond that, if there is ever a problem or a short you can fix it yourself rather than hire out so you can save money and buy more boat toys. Is your set up a plug and play? It sounds like it is...This electronics stuff is not brain surgery, just pay attention to the manuals in detail and think before you cut anything.

I switched out the VHF last season to the 2150 and found that you have to pay attention to the standard horizon directions and not the raymarine install directions for AIS targets to show up on the GPS screen.

I am not that familiar with your situation but why not put your radar dome on a tower behind the cockpit rather than the mast? My boat came with a tower so plan to reuse. It is a shorter run than down the mast which is less wire and less money. My average sailing heel is around 15 degrees and probably won't effect the radar too much at least IMHO not a significant amount. Also the tower is about $750.00 plus a few attachements to the stern pulpit if you have one brings it up to about a $1000. As always there are more expensive one out there. Far less than hiring someone to go aloft and complete the relatively simple install.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-02-2012

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hey,

There is installation and then there is INSTALLATION. You can install the plotter with a ram mount clamped to the pedestal, and the wires ran directly to the battery. Then there is installation that includes an Edson housing, all wires run inside the pedestal, wired through the breaker panel, radar wires run through the mast and then through the headliner, etc.

It is easy to double the install price depending on what you mean by 'install'.

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-02-2012

boatpoker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryL View Post
Hey,

There is installation and then there is INSTALLATION. You can install the plotter with a ram mount clamped to the pedestal, and the wires ran directly to the battery. Then there is installation that includes an Edson housing, all wires run inside the pedestal, wired through the breaker panel, radar wires run through the mast and then through the headliner, etc.

It is easy to double the install price depending on what you mean by 'install'.

Barry
What he said
Old 02-22-2013

adamhagan is on a distinguished road
Re: Need Raymarine installation help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamlicotraveler View Post
We have the messenger line....and a wind transducer at the top of the mast. Also a VHF antennae on top of the mast for the AIS.

Problem is Seatalk and Seatalk NG are different - needs a different backbone. I know there is a converter for allowing SeaTalk devices to communicate with the Raymarine SeaTalkNG data. But also the radar uses a different cable..

Anyway...just sorting through the process..
Hello,

I sail out of broad creek, NC and I just bought the e7d/radar which I am hoping to connnect to my raymarine smart pilot p70. I am mounting the unit on my mizzen mast.

Have you had any success in hooking up the backbone yet?

Adam
Old 02-22-2013

bhcva is on a distinguished road
Re: Need Raymarine installation help

Pam...I am just starting down the path you described in your OP and would appreciate it if you could share the results of your planning effort....wiring diagram??

I suspect the hardest part of the job is plowing thru all the info in the RM manuals.....makes my head hurt till I've been thru it many times.

Bruce