Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-30-2012
Call me Ishmael

blowinstink is on a distinguished road
I went with Garmin -- 4208 and HD18. The quality of the garmin charts was the deciding factor for me. I read too many negative critiques of the Lowrance charts (problems with chart orientation, poor bahamas mapping, bad overseas mapping). I think the BBR is probably a step above the Garmin HD (and certainly consumes less power and offers more mounting options) but the HD is damn good. I am also unsure whether the BBR can be detected by other ship's radar in the way active HD radar is detected. That is an often forgotten benefit of running active radar -- you are a bright target to other stations. Anyway, those were my reasons. Good luck with your decision -- all in all it is a great time to be making the decision. You can't go wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-30-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Lowrance would be my choice. I already own the HD7 and it's incredibly accurate throughout Chesapeake Bay and I know a charter captain using it in the Florida Keys who frequently runs to the Bahamas and Dry Tortugas and says it's the best of the best.

I'll be adding Lowrance 3G Broadband Radar this coming summer and from what I've seen the imaging and sensitivity are the best as well. I talked with a Lowrance rep this winter who said he couldn't believe how close items were to the boat that showed up clearly on the display.

One of the things I really like is the ability to have everything showing on a single screen, plus the ability to select other items such as engine instrumentation through a simple menu. I enjoy being able to see the depth and my location on the same chart, plus have the water temperature, time, and loads of other functions displayed on a single, easy to read display. That HD screen is tack sharp, even in bright sunlight.

As for the connection, it's a standard network connection. I think you could connect it to a Garmen, but you would need an interface device, which would add significantly to the cost.

Good Luck,

Gary
Old 01-31-2012

ambianceack is on a distinguished road
Plan on heading to the Boston Boat Show to make a final decision. With the input we are wavering between the Garmin 4210 with HD18 or the Lowrance HDS10 Gen 2 with the 4G radar. We have increased our budget by $500 and I don't think I could go wrong with either system. Thanks for the advice- Joe
Old 02-01-2012
Banned

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
I had a Lowrance once, briefly, before taking it back for a refund. Horrendously complex. Garmin is far simpler and more logical, altho I wasn't happy with their warrantee.
Old 02-01-2012

xymotic is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
I had a Lowrance once, briefly, before taking it back for a refund. Horrendously complex. Garmin is far simpler and more logical, altho I wasn't happy with their warrantee.
This is true, but.

I wouldn't call lowrance 'horrendous" it is more complex than Garmin which is dead simple. OTOH, with garmin, you are stuck with what you get. On the lowrance you can resize screens, change colors etc.

When it gets into Radar and Fishfinding, (and music) the lowrance leaves the Garmin in the dust.
Old 02-01-2012

LinekinBayCD is on a distinguished road
If you are plannin on getting a handheld or semi portable, Garmin has far more choices and makes coordination of waypoints between units very easy. Does any other manufacture have units that are preloaded with all US coastal charts and all US roads besides Garmin?
Old 02-01-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinekinBayCD View Post
Does any other manufacture have units that are preloaded with all US coastal charts and all US roads besides Garmin?
lowrance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-01-2012

LinekinBayCD is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
lowrance.
What model are you referring to? I didn't find any automotive units on their website let alone a marine / auto combo unit. I was looking on my phone so I could have missed it.
Old 02-01-2012

xymotic is on a distinguished road
For portable/auto units I think Garmin's only real competition is Delorme.
Old 02-01-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinekinBayCD View Post
What model are you referring to? I didn't find any automotive units on their website let alone a marine / auto combo unit. I was looking on my phone so I could have missed it.
You asked about preloaded charts/maps. Some Lowrance chartplotters come pre-loaded with charts and coastal roads for both the US and Canada.
In any event, a handheld has no relevance to the OPs needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.