SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Electronics (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electronics/)
-   -   Need Handheld VHF Suggestions (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electronics/83846-need-handheld-vhf-suggestions.html)

frjeff 02-13-2012 12:51 PM

Need Handheld VHF Suggestions

Need to get a handheld VHF for my "new" little trailerable Monty 15.

Leaning towards the Uniden MHS125; seems like a pretty well featured unit at a decent price.

Any other options I ought be looking at?

Thanks,

Jeff

PorFin 02-13-2012 01:38 PM

We've been very happy with our Standard Horizon.

Features and price points are pretty similar on all the major brands, so it'll probably come down to who has which model on sale.

night0wl 02-13-2012 01:43 PM

I like our Standard Horizon HX850. Acts as an emergency/backup GPS if we ever needed it.

KnottyGurl 02-13-2012 01:45 PM

Welcome to StandardHorizon.com

here is what I just purchased to improve my collection.
My prior handheld was the Welcome to StandardHorizon.com
Which ever you decide will be right for you, If it is a matter of cash then wait it out and get the better suited one.

hellosailor 02-13-2012 04:12 PM

Jeff, SH does a damn fine job on customer service and builds a brick that rarely needs it. Having said that...there's budget versus features and whatever you use in that boat, no matter who claims it is waterproof, put it in an EWA bag or other "extra" waterproofing as well. Which also helps it float, just in case.

redline 02-13-2012 04:22 PM

Jeff, I've long used and liked Icom; they build great radios. I'm also happy with the fixed-mount Standard Horizon currently on my boat (came with), though I've seen minor issues with the mechanical design resulting loose connections.

For a portable I really like my SH HX471S, partly as a good marine handheld (waterproof though unlike its little brother it does not float), which in addition to marine is also an FRS (Family Radio Service) UHF for use ashore, and covers VHF Aircraft and AM/FM broadcast for good measure (as an electrical engineer, I'm still amazed how they got all that in there). Maybe overkill if all you need is marine VHF, but I've found the other modes useful.

bljones 02-13-2012 04:36 PM

I bought a Uniden Atlantis 250 three seasons ago and am well satisfied. Decent range, submersible (but not floating- big deal, that's why you attach two floaty keychains to the belt clip- now it floats and you can see it) decent sound quality and excellent battery life and flexibility. It will take double As, or use the included rechargable battery pack, and charge with the included 110v adapter or the included 12 volt cord.

I charged mine on Sept 15. I last used it on October 27th. I just turned it on, and it still shows 3/4 charge.

You can find 'em for under $90.

http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/m/m29_...aczVJg/140.jpg

MarkSF 02-13-2012 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by night0wl (Post 830918)
I like our Standard Horizon HX850. Acts as an emergency/backup GPS if we ever needed it.

I like my SH HX751 but if I were in the market again I'd get the 851.

The strongest feature is the ability to send a DSC distress call, WITH your GPS position, at the touch of a button. It seems like great insurance against going overboard when single handed. (provided you're carrying it!)

Would second the comments about SH's customer service, they are really good.

Stu Jackson 02-14-2012 09:48 PM

The Uniden's we've had do not have the same quality of speakers than either the West marine or SH radios we got to replace them have. Try listening to each at a store if you can. The Uniden's had less volume and poor frequency output on the speakers.

Faster 02-14-2012 10:19 PM

Our Icom M34 has done the job.. it does float, and I actually dropped it overboard.. and managed to retrieve it in short order.. (while sailing in 10-15K - surprised ourselves ;))

It does float, but antenna down and showing only an inch or so.. We have added some yellow tape to the bottom for visibility in case it happens again.

Range is generally limited, as with any handheld but we have a base station below, an older SH, still works great.