Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-15-2012

Litehart is on a distinguished road
Furuno NavNet3D Configuration Question

My new-to-me 2000 Pacific Seacraft 34 cutter has little electronics aboard. While it has the orginal B&G Network wind/depth/speed 0183NMEA instruments, I would like to reduce clutter at the Whitlock pedestal area by having only the Furuno MFD NavNet3D 8-inch I just purchased. Do you know if it is possible to hook up any Furuno remote instrument device that can drive those sail instrument data to the MFD for viewing? Or, can you suggest some install options that would provide a Furuno setup giving me both the MFD and instruments? Thanks.

J Wright
Treasure Island FL
Kathleen, PSC34-329
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2012

arisatx is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litehart View Post
My new-to-me 2000 Pacific Seacraft 34 cutter has little electronics aboard. While it has the orginal B&G Network wind/depth/speed 0183NMEA instruments, I would like to reduce clutter at the Whitlock pedestal area by having only the Furuno MFD NavNet3D 8-inch I just purchased. Do you know if it is possible to hook up any Furuno remote instrument device that can drive those sail instrument data to the MFD for viewing? Or, can you suggest some install options that would provide a Furuno setup giving me both the MFD and instruments? Thanks.

J Wright
Treasure Island FL
Kathleen, PSC34-329
JW:
First, congratulations on your "new" PSC34, she'll take good care of you.

Re: the MFD8 - IIRC, there are 2 NMEA0183 ports on it. But, will you be running your chartplotter fulltime? Offshore, at anchor? Could you relocate your instruments to a pod over the companionway?
V42#186
s/v Little Wing
Old 02-26-2012

Ted,

I looked into placing the instruments over the companionway but with the existing dodger there is scant room without mounting them in a way that would create a head-bump obstacle. Can you expand on your question about whether I would be running the plotter at anchor or at sea? I will have an AIS hooked up to the plotter so I would expect to be running the plotter at sea as a preventive against ship encounters.

Jeff
Old 02-26-2012

knuterikt is on a distinguished road
NN3D has got 3 NMEA 0183 ports and one NMEA 2000 port.

You can get new NMEA 2000 sensors that can be connected directly to the NMEA 2000 backbone.

Most older instrument sensors use a proprietary interface between sensor and display unit, in this case you will often be able to get NMEA signals from the display.
Old 02-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuterikt View Post
NN3D has got 3 NMEA 0183 ports and one NMEA 2000 port.

You can get new NMEA 2000 sensors that can be connected directly to the NMEA 2000 backbone.

Most older instrument sensors use a proprietary interface between sensor and display unit, in this case you will often be able to get NMEA signals from the display.
Knute, please be patient with an electronics-challenged sailor. Are you saying there are NMEA2000 sensors that can be retrofitted to my B&G instruments and hooked up to the CanBus backbone? If so, will the instruments' data appear on the Furuno NavNet3d MFD? I was told (by B&G and Furuno) that the required cable is no longer available from B&G (or the after market sellers).

Jeff
Old 02-26-2012

Quote:
Knute, please be patient with an electronics-challenged sailor. Are you saying there are NMEA2000 sensors that can be retrofitted to my B&G instruments and hooked up to the CanBus backbone? If so, will the instruments' data appear on the Furuno NavNet3d MFD? I was told (by B&G and Furuno) that the required cable is no longer available from B&G (or the after market sellers).

Jeff
Don't know about your old B&G stuff.

What I said was that there are different ways to do this depending on what you like to do, what you have and money.

If you will get rid of other instruments (one display unit = NN3D)
You can buy NMEA 2000 sensors to replace the old sensors and connect to the NMEA 2000 bus.

If you like to have other displays - you could connect those to the NMEA 2000 bus also.

Garmin sells a package with all NMEA 2000 sensors and one display.

Ad I said i don't know your old B&G - your options here depends not on the plugs - but the electrical interface it uses, you wrote nmea 0183 - are you sure?

What model is your B&G instruments - seems there are some info here
http://www.bandg.com/Downloads/Manuals/

Last edited by knuterikt; 02-26-2012 at 03:57 PM. Reason: added link
Old 02-26-2012

arisatx is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Ted,

I looked into placing the instruments over the companionway but with the existing dodger there is scant room without mounting them in a way that would create a head-bump obstacle. Can you expand on your question about whether I would be running the plotter at anchor or at sea? I will have an AIS hooked up to the plotter so I would expect to be running the plotter at sea as a preventive against ship encounters.

Jeff
Jeff:
There are times (at anchor and offshore) where we don't use the chartplotter, or the radar - but do want some of the data available thru the standard instrument displays, or AIS display. Mush less power draw.
What size is your house bank and what other electronics will you have?

The B&G Network system is 0183 as far as I know and you should be able to interface it to your MFD8 via the ports on the back of the unit as knuterikt mentions.
V42#186
s/v Little Wing
Old 02-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by arisatx View Post
Jeff:
There are times (at anchor and offshore) where we don't use the chartplotter, or the radar - but do want some of the data available thru the standard instrument displays, or AIS display. Mush less power draw.
What size is your house bank and what other electronics will you have?

The B&G Network system is 0183 as far as I know and you should be able to interface it to your MFD8 via the ports on the back of the unit as knuterikt mentions.
If the instruments is nmea 0183 I would try to look around to get a plug for the instruments. You will need to keep the instrument displays.

If you will get rid of the instruments then NMEA 2000 sensors is the way to go