Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-21-2012

klem is on a distinguished road
Garmin 172c Shuts Down When Antenna is Connected

I put my Garmin GPSmap 172C back aboard today and fired it up only to find that it shut off after approximately 20 seconds. My initial reaction was that maybe there was a bad connection and the voltage was just too low but I put checked the voltage at the unit and it read 12.6V when it was off and 12.5V when it was on so that shouldn't be the problem.

Trying to isolate things, I unplugged the antenna and the gps ran without any problems. I ran it this way for approximately 45 minutes then plugged back in the antenna cable and it shut down within 20 seconds or so. Is it possible that I have a bad antenna that is somehow causing the entire unit to shut down? What would a shorted antenna do to the unit?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-22-2012
Sailor

Gladrags1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Garmin 172c Shuts Down When Antenna is Connected

That was my thought, that there is a short somewhere in the external antenna. Most suspect would be the connector fitting where the wire attaches to the gps. Next most likely would be the wire itself.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-22-2012

Gladrags1,

Thank you for the response. Would a short somewhere in the antenna/cable actually cause the unit to shut down though? It seems like that is what is going on but I would be surprised if the circuity was designed so that this happened.
Old 04-22-2012
Sailor

Gladrags1 is on a distinguished road

A short would drain power causing a big power drop to the unit causing it to turn off is how I conceptualize it. Try fiddling with the connector at the unit to see if it makes a difference. I can't say with 100% certainty that this is happening but your own process of elimination has isolated the problem to the antenna. That connector and the bend in the cable at the gps creates a big potential for problems. Radio Shack sells connectors.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-22-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by klem View Post
I put my Garmin GPSmap 172C back aboard today and fired it up only to find that it shut off after approximately 20 seconds. My initial reaction was that maybe there was a bad connection and the voltage was just too low but I put checked the voltage at the unit and it read 12.6V when it was off and 12.5V when it was on so that shouldn't be the problem.

Trying to isolate things, I unplugged the antenna and the gps ran without any problems. I ran it this way for approximately 45 minutes then plugged back in the antenna cable and it shut down within 20 seconds or so. Is it possible that I have a bad antenna that is somehow causing the entire unit to shut down? What would a shorted antenna do to the unit?
Klem--

Have you installed the most recent software update on your unit? Some while ago there were a number of discussions of this issue that proved to be due to changes in the transmissions from some of the satellites. I had a similar problem with our old 162. The last software update for the 162/172 series units resolved the matter. I believe the update may still be available on Garmin's website.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 04-22-2012

svHyLyte,

Thank you for that tip. I have not installed any of the updates. That sounds like a good place to start.
Old 04-23-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Klem, when was the last time your Garmin was working? I think the software update issues affected the "year 2000" rollover, but Garmin's free support should be able to clear that up for you.

The GPS antennas are not just antennas, they are powered receivers ("active antennas")as well. So if there's a short in that cable, or in that '"antenna" or the cable feeding it, it will draw too much power and that will either burn out your unit, or shut it down. These days a lot of electronics are smart enough to shut down instead of burning out.

One way or the other...a quick call to Garmin might get you an answer.
Old 04-23-2012

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

I had the same problem with my 8 year old 172. I ended up sending back to Garmin for repairs. Garmin offered me two deals, the first was a rebuilt unit for a minimal service fee or the second was a discount on a newer model. I chose the rebuild, which showed up looking brand new and has worked ever since.

For what it is worth, my 172 had been sitting all winter with a dead battery and did just what you described when I booted it up in the spring. When I asked about the problem on the internet someone said that it may be an internal backup battery that has something to do with storing the program and boot sequence. I asked the Garmin rep about that and it did not sound like that was the case and besides did not explain why it crashed only when hooked to the remote antenae and plugged into the ships battery.

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Old 04-23-2012

Thanks guys, it sounds like a call to Garmin is in order. Jeff, it sounds like you got great service from them.
Old 04-28-2012

In case anyone else runs into this, I wanted to update the thread with the fix. The woman that I talked to at Garmin suggested that I try turning off WAAS, the way she said it, I am guessing a lot of people have had this same problem. Once I turned off WAAS, it worked normally, only time will tell if that really did it. To turn off WAAS, you press menu twice, put the cursor over GPS, press menu again and select WAAS off.

Thanks for all the help.