LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2013
SEAFOX

seafox369 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to seafox369
Re: KISS-SSB grounding package review?

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
There's tons of controversy on this and other Boards re: the KISS-SSB radial ground system.

Lots of discordant views on antenna theory, whether or not it should work, whether or not you could build one yourself for less money, why it works, etc. Great for armchair theorists and do-it-yourselfers.

However, there's absolutely no doubt that:

1. it works well, as advertised, on all ham and marine bands;

2. it's very nicely constructed in a fashion suitable for the marine environment; and

3. it's incredibly easy to install.

I've installed a bunch of them on all kinds of boats, and have one on my own boat. I have three at the moment in my basement, and used one just this morning -- all coiled up and sitting on the cement floor -- to test an automatic tuner on the bench.

Every single installation has worked well, including one where the only room for it was a small footlocker, where it was coiled up under the shoes.

Are there other RF ground solutions? You bet, and I've written extensively about them and have tried just about everything imaginable over the past several decades.

However, for simplicity, ease of installation, and downright good performance I don't think you can go wrong with the KISS-SSB.

Disclosure #1
: I'm a dealer for the KISS.

Disclosure #2: The KISS is not a profit center for me. I carry them because I believe in them and find them to be a good solution for many of my clients.

Bill
Bill, pls email me: cfox at rogers dot com.
Thanks

The brave may not live forever, but the cautious never live at all ...

If you don't stand behind our troops, PLEASE feel free to stand in front of them.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-25-2013
SEAFOX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
Repeat Bill's disclaimers for me, except I have five in stock. *grin*

The KISS-SSB has worked as well for me and my customers as hand-built counterpoises and much lower prices to the customer. MUCH lower prices. You might be able to meet the performance building one yourself and beat the price, but you won't beat the performance and if you have to pay someone like Bill or me to build it for you then you will lose.
Pls email me: cfox at rogers dot com

Thanks

If you don't stand behind our troops, PLEASE feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 09-25-2013
1982 Skye 51

obelisk is on a distinguished road

I was going to go the expanded copper route, then i looked at the material cost and decided to give the KISS a try. At very worst, if it didn't work, I would go ahead and install the copper anyway, use it in conjunction with the KISS, and only add ~$100 to the total cost. I felt it was worth the gamble to save some big bucks and even bigger headaches. It works like a charm, was simple to install, saved loads on materials and has gotten me 32,000nm and half way around the world without so much as a hiccup. Highly recommended!

**Absolutely NO affiliation with KISS other than being a happy customer**
Kajungizmo likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-11-2013

RealityCheck is on a distinguished road

Installed a KISS SSB system in the BVI last year and it has worked well with my M802 for all services including with the Pactor. Now in Grenada until the spring and am using it for several purposes Marine and Ham. I know of more than a few dozen other actively using cruisers through out the Caribbean that have and are regularly using the system and no one has reported ever having a problem. I'm sure you could mess around and fab some similar unit if your time is worthless..... it may even work but chances are it will not work better and longer in adverse conditions in real cruising service around the world as the KISS SSB has shown it can.
obelisk likes this.
Old 12-11-2013
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough

I have had the KISS SSB on my M802 for near on a year. It was simple to install and works great.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 12-12-2013

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough

Yep, it simply works! And, it's built to withstand the rigors of the marine environment.

I've got several years of experience now using, installing, selling the KISS radial ground system on many motor and sailboats. They all worked just fine.

As I've said repeatedly, this is definitely NOT the best possible RF ground system. However, for most folks it's a perfectly adequate one, and there's not doubt that it's by far the easiest to install.

The earlier comment about "no financial interest" is a joke. Yes, I'm a dealer for the KISS, but it's certainly not a profit center for me. It's the ONLY product for which I am a dealer, and I carry it mostly for the convenience of my customers.

What about all the naysayers and "tests" which purport to show the KISS "isn't resonant" or "isn't any better than a length of wire 14' long"? I'm not saying you should discount these reports completely, but what I am saying is that our understanding of RF grounding systems in use on a boat with random-length end-fed antennas (usually the insulated backstay or a whip) is definitely not complete.

About the only thing we CAN say with some confidence is:

1. It's definitely not the best possible RF ground system; and

2. It definitely works pretty well for the many hundreds of marine installations we know of, both in terms of ease of installation, tuning and in radiated power.

Every day I talk to and listen to boats which I know have these systems on both the ham bands and the marine bands; most all of them seem to have signals comparable to other boats using more traditional RF grounding systems.

FWIW,

Bill
WA6CCA

Last edited by btrayfors; 12-12-2013 at 06:01 PM.
Old 05-12-2014

edakira is on a distinguished road

A quick question re the kiss counterpoise. If I purchase one and install - but do not have an insulated backstay (and cannot afford one) - can I literally just hoist an insulated wire up the mast? Or what might be a reasonably priced antenna for a hundred bucks or less? It's a ham system - Icom 718 and AH-4 tuner I bought used. Trying to figure this out on my own has been a whirlwind of info. Any thoughts appreciated thanks.
Old 05-12-2014
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by edakira View Post
A quick question re the kiss counterpoise. If I purchase one and install - but do not have an insulated backstay (and cannot afford one) - can I literally just hoist an insulated wire up the mast? Or what might be a reasonably priced antenna for a hundred bucks or less? It's a ham system - Icom 718 and AH-4 tuner I bought used. Trying to figure this out on my own has been a whirlwind of info. Any thoughts appreciated thanks.
I'm disappointed that you passed your ham exam and don't know the answer.

Yes - you can hoist wire - insulated or not up the mast. Try to keep it as far as you practically can from the mast and stays and shrouds.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 05-12-2014
SEAFOX

Agreed, I have a Hunter 456 with no backstay and an ICOM 802. Hoisted a SS wire to the top of the mast. Keep it at least 2' from the top going aft to the davits. Works just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
I'm disappointed that you passed your ham exam and don't know the answer.

Yes - you can hoist wire - insulated or not up the mast. Try to keep it as far as you practically can from the mast and stays and shrouds.

Old 05-13-2014

edakira is on a distinguished road

Thank you both for prompt replies. I just hoisted about 48 ft of insulated copper wire (12 awg) that I had a spool of. I ran it up alongside a halyard, using a few clamps to keep the wire stable and somewhat taut. I went up the stern, keeping away from backstay, stopping about 6 ft short of top of mast. At deck, I did wrap it a few times around a SS stanchion before dropping it into an aft lazarette and connecting it to the AH-4 tuner. As a temp counterpoise, I cut an old 50' extension cord in half and ran the two 25' lengths forward and down below, keeping them parallel but at least 4-6' apart. Then I grounded the radio to a bronze thru hull w SS hose clamp. Should that theoretically be working?

Yes, surprising I passed both the tech and general tests. For me, quite a learning curve and all of this new. I'm not a techie but wanting to understand obviously. So much info out on the internet thats both useful but also completely contradictory. Thanks for any patience and suggestions for this no budget newbie.

Tags
kiss-ssb