Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2012

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
new to me Garmin 182C

I have finally acquired a chartplotter.
It came with a data card with around 130 charts. All for the northeast US.
What I'm wondering is if there is a possibility of swapping cards with someone or picking up a used one for a reasonable cost.
The plotter works in my area, but the chart is not detailed at all without a card for my area.
Is this possible or is it considered piracy to swap cards?

The 182C is discontinued but I'm pretty sure that Garmin still sells the cards. I am just hesitant to spend more for a data card than I did for the unit.

Can the card I have be reprogrammed?

Please forgive my ignorance, but I haven't ever dealt with this issue before.

Thanks, Steve
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-03-2012

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Re: new to me Garmin 182C

Seriously? Nobody can help me with this?
Old 05-03-2012

Stu Jackson is on a distinguished road

Could it be that you may need to be more specific?

When I read your post for the first and then second time, it wasn't clear whether your issue is that you have too much coverage with too little detail, or whether you live in a completely different part of the country and hence don't have the charts for your specific area.

You could also have a generic card with wide area coverage with no detail anywhere.

Can you be more specific?
Old 05-03-2012

redline is on a distinguished road

Likewise, I wasn't sure of the question. I have a GPSMAP180, with a discontinued G-Chart cartridge for Lake Champlain.

From the Garmin website FAQ,

"Where can I purchase a G-Chart or Micro G-Chart pre-programmed card?

Older Garmin marine chartplotters used a mapping card called G-Charts and Micro G-Charts. Both G-Charts Micro G-Charts mapping were discontinued in November of 2004. Garmin no longer produces these cards, so they cannot be ordered.The only way to purchase a Micro G-Chart card is to search the internet for other individuals who are selling their old cards. The mapping on any Micro G-Chart card purchased will have 2004 or earlier mapping.

G-Chart cartridges cannot be reprogrammed. If your cartridge happens to be for Montreal / St-Laurence Seaway / Thousand Islands or similar and you'd like to trade for my Lake Champlain (with a bit of Montreal, IIRC), that would be great. Otherwise we're both stuck (not that I'm using my 180 any longer, current boat is Ray E-series).
wdwright1967 likes this.
Old 05-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Could it be that you may need to be more specific?

When I read your post for the first and then second time, it wasn't clear whether your issue is that you have too much coverage with too little detail, or whether you live in a completely different part of the country and hence don't have the charts for your specific area.

You could also have a generic card with wide area coverage with no detail anywhere.

Can you be more specific?
Thanks for the reply. I'll try to be clearer.
The issue is that the card is for the Northeast. I live on the gulf coast of Florida. The charts on the card are very detailed, but the area that I need is not. There is no depths or markers but just a rough map. Presumably because I don't have a card for this area.
What I was wondering is if the card I have could be formatted and reprogrammed for my area, which I gather from the last post is not possible. Or if it is possible to swap with someone who could use the card I have for one that covers my area. I'm not sure if a card from another unit could be used in mine. Or if it legal to swap or trade cards.
I was thinking that since the unit is rather old and discontinued that there might be an availability of these cards that people no longer need. But maybe the cards are the same for the newer units. I really have no idea.
If the worst comes to worst, I suppose I'll just have to purchase a card from Garmin that covers the Gulf coast.
Also, I'm not sure what the difference, if any, there is between the Blue charts and the regular Garmin card. The card I have simply says Garmin data card.
Old 05-04-2012

redline is on a distinguished road

Lucky you, according to the user manual

http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/GP...nersManual.pdf

your unit "uses Bluechart and Mapsource data cards". The former are pre-programmed, and you can also get user-programmable cards (for which you need a programmer) on which you can transfer data from Mapsource CDs. If your card has a region name printed on it, it's likely a pre-programmed card.

Your data card is yours to keep, sell, trade, or give away. Just not to copy.

(I started "lucky you" because my GPSMAP180, slightly older, uses G-Chart cards, which were discontinued when Garmin had a falling out with Navionics and went their own Bluechart way, and are simply no longer available).
Old 05-08-2012

billsull is on a distinguished road

Hi Knothead,

I also have an old Garmin and your post prompted me look around again for the chart chip that I need. I started using SearchTempest to do a broad search in Craigslist and came across this listing:

Garmin Bluechart SW Florida

Not sure which chip you're looking for, but this one is listed as MUS110R.
Bristol 24
Old Saybrook, CT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsull View Post
Hi Knothead,

I also have an old Garmin and your post prompted me look around again for the chart chip that I need. I started using SearchTempest to do a broad search in Craigslist and came across this listing:

Garmin Bluechart SW Florida

Not sure which chip you're looking for, but this one is listed as MUS110R.
Thanks Bill. I'll check that out.
I believe the card I want is HUSO40R. From what I can tell, this covers the entire US, the gulf coast and the Caribbean. Though I would be happy to just have the west coast of Florida at this point.

The card I have has something like 130 charts of the Northeast. New York, Connecticut, Martha's Vinyard, Nantucket, etc.
If this is the one you need, let me know.

Redline, thanks for the info.
Steve
Old 05-09-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

There seem to be a bunch of listings on ebay for 'Garmin Bluechart'.
Good luck Knotty.

Everybody has one:

Old 08-21-2012

RSC is on a distinguished road

Hi Knothead,
I also just acquired a 182c that came without the bluechart garmin data card (previous owners kid had dropped the card overboard). I'm looking for the card for the NE (NY, CT, RI, etc.). Sounds like this is the card you have. Are you trying to sell it? Thanks.