SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Electronics (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electronics/)
-   -   VHF Antenna Mounting: Masthead vs Stern Rail (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electronics/87096-vhf-antenna-mounting-masthead-vs-stern-rail.html)

liveincolor 05-07-2012 10:04 AM

VHF Antenna Mounting: Masthead vs Stern Rail

I'm faced with a decision that must be made before I bring my boat to mooring. I currently have my vhf antenna mounted on the stern rail. I want to mount it on the masthead (25' high from the deck) to increase my range. I have enough coaxial cable to run to the mast, however, it is type RG-58 and inadequate for a 30'-35' run as I understand. My question is a matter of compromise and opinion as to what is the most beneficial trade off given my scenario.

Should I leave my antenna where it is on the stern rail (3'/4' above water level) and sacrifice some range ? Or should I mount it on the mast head, gaining range, but suffering some dB loss ? As I am not well informed on the extremity of each trade off, I'm turning to you. Thanks in advance, I'm always grateful to have a resource like sailnet and its members.

svHyLyte 05-07-2012 10:26 AM

Re: VHF Antenna Mounting: Masthead vs Stern Rail

Quote:

Originally Posted by liveincolor (Post 868157)
I'm faced with a decision that must be made before I bring my boat to mooring. I currently have my vhf antenna mounted on the stern rail. I want to mount it on the masthead (25' high from the deck) to increase my range. I have enough coaxial cable to run to the mast, however, it is type RG-58 and inadequate for a 30'-35' run as I understand. My question is a matter of compromise and opinion as to what is the most beneficial trade off given my scenario.

Should I leave my antenna where it is on the stern rail (3'/4' above water level) and sacrifice some range ? Or should I mount it on the mast head, gaining range, but suffering some dB loss ? As I am not well informed on the extremity of each trade off, I'm turning to you. Thanks in advance, I'm always grateful to have a resource like sailnet and its members.

You radio range is roughly 1.14 times the square root of the antenna height plus a tad for ducting. When you really, really, want to reach out and touch someone, will you be saying to yourself "Gosh, I'm really glad I saved the cost of moving my antenna higher!", or "How could I have been so dumb!". Low loss cable is relatively cheap in such circumstances so what do you think?

denverd0n 05-07-2012 10:31 AM

RG-58 is not all that bad for a 35' run. You'll lose about 2 dB. Of course, better coax would be... well, better.

Personally, I would put it at the masthead with better coax. You can buy RG-213 for less than a dollar per foot. Add the cost of the connectors and you're still talking less than $50. You really can't afford that?

SVAuspicious 05-07-2012 10:55 AM

Get better coax. RG-213 or LMR-400 are good choices. Get it from someplace like therfc.com (hams are cheaper than sailors) and have them put a connector on one end. Fish the cable through with the professionally installed connector at the masthead. Tape the connector to help keep water out. You'll be glad you did.

sea_hunter 05-07-2012 10:59 AM

As high as you can get it installed.

liveincolor 05-07-2012 11:29 AM

I didn't realize I could get the RG-213 for less than a dollar a foot, West Marine sells it for $2.99/ft. It isn't as much a question of affordability as much as taking advantage of the equipment I already have. My natural way is to be as efficient as possible without compromising beyond what seems necessary/safe. Thanks for the feedback everyone, so grateful to be able to learn from so many people willing to share.