SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Electronics (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electronics/)
-   -   How to operate this #*%!! Victron 602?? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electronics/87906-how-operate-%2A%25-victron-602-a.html)

thekeip 05-28-2012 11:12 AM

How to operate this #*%!! Victron 602??

I installed the Victron monitor. I think it works...probably does, anyway. The backlight (blue) comes on and the instrument responds to various button pushings. All I want to do is check both my start and house batteries voltages and the energy calculations for the house bank. It is correctly connected to the start battery but I see no way to tell the instrument to read it's voltage. I find the manual completely incomprehensable.
What's a good source for info on this device?
Tanks much,
Howard Keiper
berkeley

Classic30 05-28-2012 10:50 PM

Re: How to operate this #*%!! Victron 602??

Howard, Howard!!.. Calm down, take a deep breath. It ain't rocket science. There should have been a Quick Installation Manual shipped in the box, but if there wasn't, it's available online.

If you have the 602, you only need the red leads with the fuses in them connected to the +ves on the right batteries and it will read basic voltage and current straight out of the box. I assume you can read the various displays?

Push the "+" or "-" keys to go up and down through the menus. If you've got it connected as per the wiring diagram on the Quick Installation Guide:

"V" = your House voltage
"Vs" = your Start voltage
"I" is whatever current you are drawing off of the House right now.

The backlight will go out after a few seconds of no button pushing.

Does that help? :)

thekeip 05-28-2012 11:19 PM

It does.
Thank you very much...obviously, patience is not my forte
I'll get over that.
Howard

Classic30 05-28-2012 11:50 PM

Goodo.. patience isn't my forte either and I know how frustrating these things can be after trying to teach my father how to use the 602 on his boat.

AFAIK, the most important setting is the battery size (AH) which it uses to work out the state of charge - the other settings can usually be left as they are. ..but none of the default settings affects the display of volts and amps.

EDIT: The Battery Capacity menu setting is "Cb" - in AH.

I'm sure you'll find it to be a most useful gadget once you get it working.

Stu Jackson 05-29-2012 01:39 PM

Once you've figured that one out, try this:

For everyone installing a battery monitor: The "Gotcha Algorithm" thread, a "MUST READ"

Link-series Charging Algorithms -- The "Gotcha" Factor!

DEFAULTS are factory settings that are made to be modified to suit your setup.

olson34 05-29-2012 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thekeip (Post 876554)
I installed the Victron monitor. I think it works...probably does, anyway. The backlight (blue) comes on and the instrument responds to various button pushings. All I want to do is check both my start and house batteries voltages and the energy calculations for the house bank. It is correctly connected to the start battery but I see no way to tell the instrument to read it's voltage. I find the manual completely incomprehensable.
What's a good source for info on this device?
Tanks much,
Howard Keiper
berkeley

Good Lord,
If a guru such as you is having trouble with it, I'm doomed... doomed I tell you!
:eek:

bugle 09-26-2013 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Classic30 (Post 876947)
Goodo.. patience isn't my forte either and I know how frustrating these things can be after trying to teach my father how to use the 602 on his boat.

AFAIK, the most important setting is the battery size (AH) which it uses to work out the state of charge - the other settings can usually be left as they are. ..but none of the default settings affects the display of volts and amps.

EDIT: The Battery Capacity menu setting is "Cb" - in AH.

I'm sure you'll find it to be a most useful gadget once you get it working.

Is that AH of one battery or combined AH of the bank. EG 125 AH or 5 x 125 = 625 AH?

Maine Sail 09-26-2013 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bugle (Post 1094410)
Is that AH of one battery or combined AH of the bank. EG 125 AH or 5 x 125 = 625 AH?

If you have 5 batteries, physically hard wired in parallel, then you have a 625 Ah bank and that is what you program into the monitor for Ah capacity.

Bene505 09-26-2013 06:32 PM

625 AH.

It has to know how to gauge that amount of energy you have left in the batteries.

Regards,
Brad

bugle 09-26-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maine Sail (Post 1094420)
If you have 5 batteries, physically hard wired in parallel, then you have a 625 Ah bank and that is what you program into the monitor for Ah capacity.

So if you only had one 125 AH battery the moniter would self syncronise at 4% which is 5 Amps.

If you enter 625 AH it will self sync at 25 Amps charge in and read 100 % when obviously the batteries would be no where near fully charged.