SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Electronics (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electronics/)
-   -   Gah! Raymarine ST60+ Depth Gauge Appears To Have Died (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electronics/88953-gah-raymarine-st60-depth-gauge-appears-have-died.html)

SEMIJim 06-23-2012 11:32 PM

Gah! Raymarine ST60+ Depth Gauge Appears To Have Died

It was working fine weekend-before-last, when we raced. Going out today: Bupkis. Just "-"s on the display.

Grrrr... :hothead

Luckily: I have the sounder for our Garmin GPSMap 498C, which I believe is the same sounder the Raymarine ST60+ depth gauge uses, as yet uninstalled. So, between the 498C and the spare sounder, I should be able to easily determine whether it's the sounder or the instrument.

We would really prefer to spend what funds we have available on upgrades, rather than repairs. *sigh*...

Jim

mm2187 06-24-2012 10:47 AM

Re: Gah! Raymarine ST60+ Depth Gauge Appears To Have Died

I would give Raymarine a call on it, they have always been nice to me on the phone as well they might send you replacement parts if it is your transducer.

PorFin 06-24-2012 03:01 PM

Jim,

You might want to take a few minutes to make sure you don't have a pinched feed wire anywhere -- any short in the wiring will pretty much cause everything to crash.

Don't ask me why I know this... ;)

SEMIJim 06-25-2012 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PorFin (Post 888416)
Jim,

You might want to take a few minutes to make sure you don't have a pinched feed wire anywhere -- any short in the wiring will pretty much cause everything to crash.

Had the display worked with the GPS' sender and the depth sounder's sender worked with the GPS, that would've been my next check. Turned out to be unnecessary.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PorFin (Post 888416)
Don't ask me why I know this... ;)

:) That is a concern on Abracadabra, though. The past owner(s) have not been good about routing wires and stuff so as to avoid them becoming victims of stuff "wandering" about in the storage spaces. I've known this was something I needed to address, but there was always Something Else. Enough!

So, here's what it was: Whomever installed the transducer left the O-ring off. Result: Over the years, as the boat heeled, a little bit of the mineral spirits bath in which "puck" sits kept leaking out, until, eventually, enough leaked out that the transducer stopped working. Mopped-out the remaining mineral spirits, re-filled with the prescribed amount, installed the O-ring from the unused sender. Fixed!

While I was at it: I checked and found the sender hadn't been installed properly. It was shooting off at an angle to starboard. Fixed that, too.