Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-07-2012
Banned

ParadiseParrot is on a distinguished road
Re: Installing flip down DVD player

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
where did you get that idea? Sanyo, toshiba, and other brand names are sold by them. Are you saying major mfgs build substandard for wally?
?
This is exactly what I am saying. A local tv/stereo/dvd repair guy explained and showed me in detail why and how this was done and how he was unable to fix wally products.Standard items sold thru normal retailers were different matter and he had no problem repairing such items as long as they where 10 yrs old or less.After that parts availability was an issue. 1 yr wally products went in the bin.

On a side note I wont shop there because of there corporate policies\ but that is a different story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-07-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

then ALL the big stores are having sub standard electronics built for them. I love/hate wally stores just like everyone else. The "local" guy can't fix anything because the cost of the parts and labor is always close to or more then the item. enter the generation of of "throw away" appliances, electronics, and more.
pray tell... what is a "normal retailer? virtually nothing is made here in the usa!

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-07-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

"Are you saying major mfgs build substandard for wally?"
There is probably *some* truth in this. Some, as in models sold at WalMart may not be available elsewhere, but that is also true for the electronics sold in almost every chain.

Colonials who remember the 1970's will remember Crazy Eddie busting the prices on car stereos and electronics back when a 40% markup was normal. Crazy Eddie might sell at 5% markup, and everyone else howled.

So major companies like Sony and Pioneer changed their model lines. The model you buy in Chain1 will be slightly different from the one carried in Chain2 and neither the same as what Chain3 sells. It may be the color of the lights, or an extra feature, or wood trim, but they all build different models to prevent price shopping.

IN ADDITION, WalMart and every other major retailer will put out contracts and say "I need a 24" television that I can buy at $150 and sell for $159.95" and then it is up to the makers to try to produce it. One of them will get the contract, usually the cheapest supplier.

But to make that statement about ALL the electronics at WalMart? Flat out wrong. I have seen and shopped for electronics, appliances, etc. that are sold at WalMart and other retailers, and if the same model number is sold at both--the equipment is exactly the same at both. Quality is the same.

Junk and disposable goods come from many sources, can't fault Wally for playing by the same rules that the entire industry is using. Fixing ANYTHING these days is often impractical, simply because US labor costs so much more than mass assembly overseas. And new products, built to sell at lower prices, are doing some things that make them impossible to repair. Apparently the screen/display/glass on the new iPads is simply bonded together, glued or fused all in one unit. Crack the glass? And there's no way to replace it, the entire display module is trashed.

Of course I've also got some electronics left from the 80's, and you don't want to hear the repair estimates. They're higher than the purchase cost was, but there are no replacements on the market today.
Old 07-08-2012
Banned

ParadiseParrot is on a distinguished road

I'll have to take your word for it. Like I said I don't shop at Walmart. However The repair guy had no trouble fixing my Non Walmart item's. As a Manufacturing Engineer I might I little more about How things are made than you.But I'll leave it at that.The Reader will have to make there own decision on the issue.Wally apologist or not.
Old 07-08-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Parrot, if you think your repair guy is on the level and hasn't sucked in a few too many lead solder fumes over the years, you should call Consumer Reports or Forbes. Either of whom would greatly enjoy catching WalMart with their sticky fingers in any kind of situation like that.

If you think the RCA 42LB45RQ (the first 42" LCD TV I saw on WalMart's web site) is somehow mangically different from the same model number that is sold at BestBuy, or on Amazon, by all means, order three or four of them, and take them apart. If you can find that WalMart is doing something special, you're going to make a LOT of money from that expose.

Sure, there are other brands and models that are special just for WalMart, but if you don't know that "store special" models have been THE NORM for ~40 years now, maybe you've been manufacturing fortune cookies, not electronics?

No, wait, you couldn't be in the food business either, as they've been making "white label" store brands for even longer than that. Purina or anyone else will gladly make up "store brand" pet chow for you from a range of formulas. It just isn't likely to be the same as their branded product, coming off the same line. Same thing for anything Costco sells under the "Kirkland" brand. They put out contracts, someone bids to fill them. But that's private-label too. Buy a SONY from Costco, and it is the same set that WalMart sells--if they sell the same model number.

This is all openly and widely known. No fraud, no conspiracy. Ignorance? Maybe.

Last edited by hellosailor; 07-08-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Old 07-08-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Well, as usual this thread has been taken far away from it's intended point

here is a perfect spot in my Vee Birth for a flip down unit. But I'd need one in the Main saloon area too I suppose. . 19- 22 " seems like the best choice over all. anything smaller is hard to view unless your right in line with the screen.

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.