Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-03-2012

sailguy40 is on a distinguished road
Installing flip down DVD player

I was considering installing one of these on the ceiling in my v-berth. Would this be a difficult install as I don't have any wiring there yet...
Amazon.com: Tview T90dvfd-TN All in One Huge 9 Inch Flip Down, Roof Mount Car Monitor: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Tview T90dvfd-TN All in One Huge 9 Inch Flip Down, Roof Mount Car Monitor: Car Electronics

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-03-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Installing flip down DVD player

I almost bought a 10" one at Walmart last night. still unsure if I want a 12 volt TV or a player however. I also wonder if such a small screen is viewable while one is laying down.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-03-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Sailguy-
Amazon says that is just a MONITOR, not a dvd, not a tv, just a monitor. For $150 you could buy a TV and DVD player, both, and use them anywhere on or off the boat.

Denise-
Most of the small screens have a small vertical viewing angle. If you are lying down and it is above you, either you tilt it to get it right, or you see a lot of dark angles. If there's no way to tilt it and you have to keep propping it up...neh, gets old fast.

FWIW I've got an old Hauppauge HVR-950 "USB TV" for my laptop. A USB dongle that plugs in, the size of a flash stick, and then an antenna plugs into that. On the laptop the resulting picture is total HD quality. OK, the laptop is bigger than a small TV, but for $50 it now IS also a tv. And plays DVDs. On a 15" screen.

What's the line that kathy whats-her-name said? Never go to bed with anything that needs a power cord, or has less than a 90-day warranty?
Old 07-03-2012

sailguy40 is on a distinguished road

Yeah I can always just get one seperate and not have to worry about installation but this would be nice. It says it has built in DVD, CD and MP3 player plus a lot of other things. My boat is kind of small so I am a bit limited, only place I can put one in v-birth is ceiling. I was thinking this would be good to double up as a light plus many other things and it can fold away and stay on ceiling when not in use. Only place I would lay and watch a movie would be in v-birth and this just seems perfect. Plus would be nice being mp3 player too and just lay there and click on the remote, then have the light when I wake up. I only wonder how difficult it would be to install it in a boat. Here is what it says on amazon...

"BRAND NEW TVIEW T90DVFD-BEIGE ALL IN ONE HUGE 9" FLIP DOWN, ROOF MOUNT CAR MONITOR WITH BUILT IN DVD, CD, MP3 PLAYER + USB INPUT + SD CARD READER + IPOD INTERFACE + IR TRANSMITTER + DOME LIGHTS + SWIVELING SCREEN AND BUILT IN FM MODULATOR Features: 9" Flip down monitor with built in DVD/SB/SD and Ipod interface Built in IR Transmitter for wireless headphone (2.3/2.8MHz & 3.2/3.8MHz) Built in FM Modulator (87.7 to 89.1 MHz) Built in USB port (IPOD Ready) Built in SD/MMC/ MS Car Reader Built in Speakers Display format Wide Scren 16:9 High Resolution: 640*234/1440*234 Swivel Monitor Compatible with DVD/VCD/CD/MP3/CD-R/CD-RW/DIVX Color System: PAL & NTSC Compatible DVD player is region free One Video & Audio Input One Video & Audio Output Active Matrix TFT Display Built in dual dome lights Last Scene Memory Multi language on screen display menu with subtitles Full function remote Includes Wiring + Mounting hardware Brightness, Contrast, Color, and Tint Controls Dimensions of the unit: 10" x 10" x 1.8" Unit Weight: 4.8 lbs Available in Black, Grey & Tan"

"The sound of the sea, is becoming very familiar to me."
Old 07-04-2012

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

My boat entertainment system is a Panasonic portable DVD player with an 8.5 inch screen. Has rechargeable battery and car power adapter. Better sound than my laptop and MUCH lower power consumption. Cost was only about $85. Also have one of those DTV converter boxes which I use occasionally to feed the DVD player if I want live TV.
Old 07-05-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

I kinda like this one.. but still not sure yet.
Amazon.com: RCA DECK13DR 13 LED TV with DVD AC-DC Power: Electronics Amazon.com: RCA DECK13DR 13 LED TV with DVD AC-DC Power: Electronics

I would rather buy at a dept store but it seems 12 volt TVs aren't on the shelves.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-05-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Department stores can't waste shelf space on things they can't sell. For 12-volt appliances, you'll need an RV store or a truck stop. Or the web, of course.
Old 07-07-2012
Banned

ParadiseParrot is on a distinguished road

Electronics from Walmart are substandard as is the company. Spend your money elsewhere. China has enough of our cash.
Old 07-07-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseParrot View Post
Electronics from Walmart are substandard as is the company. Spend your money elsewhere. China has enough of our cash.
where did you get that idea? Sanyo, toshiba, and other brand names are sold by them. Are you saying major mfgs build substandard for wally? I bought a singer sewing maching a couple of years ago.. it would not work right, kept breaking needles. they took it back no questions asked. I will agree Wally's clothing is sub standard. wash once.. worthless.

On the China issue.. where in Gawd's name does someone find usa built electronics???

my current "project"!
Old 07-07-2012
Plausible Deniability

Denise, IIRC the last US-built TV sets were built by Zenith, who finally outsourced to Mexico around 1980. Of course SONY's trinitrons ate their lunch, but they've also fallen from grace.

Walmart can be a rough place for employees and vendors, they've been written up in the news and in the business magazines a number of times over the years for a number of "Oh, now who would be so stupid..." policies. But in the meantime they're pretty accommodating for the customer and you don't get THAT big unless you're doing something right at least once in a while.

Sam W. himself once said there was no magic in what he did. The stuff on the end caps and in the aisles was priced incredibly, and to compensate for it, a lot of the general stock was priced slightly ABOVE the competition. Ever try to check the price on paper towels? No two stores carry the same size rolls in the same qty packs any more, do they?