Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-12-2012

thevdeub is on a distinguished road
handled GPS consumption while in achor watch mode?

Maybe a dumb question, but i was wondering:
Most of the handled GPS (like Garmin, let s say GPSMAP 76Cx, for less than 200$) says around 10-12 hours of battery life.
I am thinking of buying one of those for the emergency bag and to use as anchor guard.
What is the consumption when used on anchor alarm mode ?
do you have to anticipate a 12v connection kit to use it like that ?
or tons of AA batteries ?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-12-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: handled GPS consumption while in achor watch mode?

The Anchor Alarm app on my Ipad runs in the background with the monitor off and uses approx 10% of battery life overnight. More expensive hardware, but substantially more useful than a hand held gps. In fact, that is exactly why I bought my Ipad. I wanted a backup gps. I did not want an Ipad at the time and now don't know how I would get along without it. Rented movies, real time weather radar (when close enough to shore), wind charts, email, navigation charts, pictures, etc, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 08-12-2012

Tempest is on a distinguished road

The garmin 76cs that I use as a back up has very good battery life...I've never used it for an anchor alarm, but I'm pretty confident that it would get you through a nights sleep, if you started with fresh batteries. The only thing is that if you keep it in the cabin it could lose it's signal. It needs a reasonable view of the sky, since the antenna is built-in.

I wouldn't mind having an IPad.

Last edited by Tempest; 08-15-2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old 08-12-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I got a bluetooth external gps receiver that I can leave in the cockpit when I go below with the ipad, however, the internal gps continues to get a signal without it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 08-13-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

The 76CS manual reports Battery Life a 20 hours with typical use. Absent the back light, it will likely be longer.

A useful alternative to the Anchor alarm is the MOB Function. Punching up the MOB button when the anchor is deployed will give one constant range and bearing to the anchor. If the range to the MOB exceeds one's swing circle, on is dragging. We have two GPS devices and use the Anchor Alarm on one--set when the anchor is dropped--and the MOB function on the other, set at the same time.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 08-15-2012

night0wl is on a distinguished road

Why not just get the little USB/12v dongle and plug it into a port aboard somewhere. I leave mine on all night plugged into my laptop.
Old 08-15-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

To answer the OP's original question:

I have that exact model, and I've used it on the internal AA batteries overnight, as an anchor alarm, after sailing all day, with no problems.

The caveat: Buy high quality, Lithium AA batteries, and make certain that in the GPS settings, you configure it for Lithium batteries vs. NiMh (Nickel metal hydride)

The setting doesn't consume more or less power, it simply enables the GPS to accurately gauge how much power remains in the batteries, and avoid shutting down prematurely.

The next best batteries for this model, are the Energizer rechargeable NiMH batteries. Again, make certain that you select NiMH if you install these batteries. They do last a long time and are reuseable.

The worst batteries are ordinary, alkaline batteries like Duracell. Fine for sailing all day, OR anchor alarm all night, but probably not both on the same set of batteries.

Hope that helps.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 08-15-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

We got the adapter for our 400C to run off a 12-V port on the boat. Very quickly paid for itself vs the cost of batteries.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 08-15-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

As others say get the 12 volt lead. A set of batts per night otherwise.

As for the MOB and turning the thing off idea the OP wants an alarm!
Old 08-15-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

I have the same model, too, but I use a different approach than BubbleheadMD. When cruising, I carry a plastic freezer bag filled with a variety of new batteries (from Costco). I am surprised by how infrequently I have to change the batteries, although I turn it off and on instead of leaving it on.

I used the Garmin 76Cx for a day sail once a week for a month, then continuously for six days, off and on, most of the day, and only replaced the batteries as a precaution on the 4th day before nightfall, so I would not have to change it at night, if it became necessary.