Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-12-2012
Learning to sail

aaronwindward is on a distinguished road
Warning: Updating Navionics US charts with Web Store fails

Quote:
Navionics is pleased to announce a web based upgrade path available through the Navionics Web Store for all Raymarine users owning a Navionics Silver chip (Micro SD bundled with select plotters).
from NEW Navionics Silver Upgrade Path! | Navionics

I recently purchased a new Raymarine e97, with US charts, which apparently means Navionics Silver. I followed a link to Navionics' site from Raymarine's site, so it looked like this was something that was legit and supported. I downloaded their program to my Windows laptop (that has an SD card reader), and paid them $169 by credit card. I started the download, and went away.

When I came back, there was some error about the download process being interrupted. So I restarted it, and it informed me that I was out of space on the SD card. Sure enough, when I checked, my SD card is now showing 0 bytes free.

So, I'm fairly annoyed by this situation. Their software should have automatically checked that I had enough space, or at least warned me about this risk ahead of time. I sent them a message by their "Contact" mechanism saying as much, just now.

So my advice is to avoid using the Navionics Web Store to upgrade, if you have Raymarine US charts, until this bug has been worked out. I'll let you know when they get back to me. In the meantime, I'm hoping the existing Silver charts still work; I'll check tomorrow at the boat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-19-2012
Learning to sail

Re: Warning: Updating Navionics US charts with Web Store fails

On Wednesday, they were able to create a support ticket, #4131. Two business days is a little (OK, a lot) slow for me. Nothing else has happened since. I'm not sure how long I should wait before I dispute the charges. (Their website claims no refunds and I'm not particularly interested in wasting my time quibbling with them.)

However, I was able to observe that my maxed-out card still works in Silver mode, so I'm only out money, not dead in the water.

The support representative confirmed that this is supposed to work, and that the new charts should overwrite the old charts, so basically, their Web Store upgrade process is just buggy. (To a programmer who works in a comparable domain, it's pretty obvious that their web delivery tech is a little sub-par.)

Current advice here is: Don't do it! Even if this doesn't affect all Raymarine chart cards, their abysmally slow support and the likely minor improvement in chart quality (according to some sources) don't seem worth the risk and $169 USD.

(Call me old-fashioned, but when my $30+$169 electronic device [with an underlying materials cost of about $5] malfunctions at purchase, due to a fundamental design issue, I expect an immediate remedy and a profuse apology [in monetary form] proportional the degree of my inconvenience. The fact my support request wasn't returned on the first business day, saying they were overnighting me a working item, boggles the mind. I think some companies are purposely trying to not make money, and only stay in business by pure dumb luck.)
The Following User Says Thank You to aaronwindward For This Useful Post:
Melrna (07-20-2013)
Old 08-19-2012

jsaronson is on a distinguished road

Can you back up the old file onto your computer first?
Old 08-20-2012
Learning to sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsaronson View Post
Can you back up the old file onto your computer first?
Yes, and that's what I did, sort of on a lark. I'm pretty sure restoring would work, but only to the original SD card. They have some sort of thing where the charts are only recognized if they're from the same SD card, probably the SD card serial number or something. In any case, I did not attempt restoring, as it still works in the intermediate half-upgraded state, at least for my current cruising area.
Old 08-23-2012
Learning to sail

They got back to me, and said that they will have to ship me a new SD card.
Old 10-18-2012

sunol1212 is on a distinguished road

Just got a new e7D. Was it worthwhile to upgrade the Navionics charts from Silver? Did you go to Gold or Platinum?
Old 07-20-2013
Learning to sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunol1212 View Post
Just got a new e7D. Was it worthwhile to upgrade the Navionics charts from Silver? Did you go to Gold or Platinum?
I got Gold.

I'm actually not sure how much it's worth it; the main difference seems to be the community data, which is a little useful at times, even though it has a somewhat lower level of reliability.

However, the situation is still super suspicious, even though it works. The memory card gets very nearly full, within 10 MB, out of 2 GB, during updates. I strongly suspect that means something bad is happening, if only that Navionics has to cull community data until they can get it to fit onto the card. It seems very unlikely that the dynamic set of community data just happens to fit so perfectly. They probably just need to be using a larger memory card; it's annoying they're skimping in this obviously-inappropriate place.