Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-23-2012

Stu Jackson is on a distinguished road
Re: Digital vs. Analog engine gauges

You might want to reconsider the ammeter in your cockpit panel.

Why? Because, usually, all the charging has to run through the ammeter for it to work and they are usually installed with small wiring. You really don't want to have your charging run through small wires from the alternator to the cockpit panel and then back to your batteries.

Ammeters & Shunts 101: Ammeters & Shunts 101
Old 09-25-2012

asdf38 is on a distinguished road

L124C, what did you end up finding for oil pressure/temp? Did you look into the tachometer? I'm just beginning to think about gauges myself and hope to make up a new engine panel over winter. I'm unimpressed with my stock yanmar panel which is disintegrating in it's 15th year and populated with incandescent lamps and untrustworthy wiring. It's in the cockpit so everything will have to stand up to weather.

My first thought was to just recreate the current functionality with higher quality hardware - LED indicators for alarms, new tachometer, new engine gauge (may stick with audible alarm). Possible additions include voltage meter and nav/spreader light switches.

This catches my eye initially. But I know nothing about this company etc. Lots of research will follow.
VDO Marine Viewline Tach+ Gauge
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf38 View Post
L124C, what did you end up finding for oil pressure/temp? Did you look into the tachometer? I'm just beginning to think about gauges myself and hope to make up a new engine panel over winter. I'm unimpressed with my stock Yanmar panel which is disintegrating in it's Th year and populated with incandescent lamps and untrustworthy wiring. It's in the cockpit so everything will have to stand up to weather.
Still working on installing the battery monitor. My priority was monitoring the charging system. I'll have to replace the senders to put gauges on the oil and water (tach was never an issue), so I will probably wait until I have an issue with the Yanmar panel. Interesting that your Yanmar panel is falling apart. Mine is almost 30 old and still works great. I liked the gauges discussed earlier in this thread because I could tie them to existing alarms. However, if your alarms are spotty, this obviously isn't an advantage. In any case, I would certainly want alarms with any gauges I purchased. After all the discussion about needle position in this thread, it occurred to me that I couldn't tell you where the normal temp or charge positions are on the gauges in my truck! I would be more diligent with gauges on my boat due to the consequences of not having a motor at sea, but am not exactly a motor head. I still want back up.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook