Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2012

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road
Re: Remove (trilens) radar reflector from mast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseParrot View Post
http://offshore.ussailing.org/Assets...ctor+tests.pdf

beth and evans discussion of above.

http://www.bethandevans.com/pdf/Rada...tor%20test.pdf

Practical boat owner magizine discussing FAIL.

Ouzo report: Radar reflectors fail test | News | Pbo

USSSAILING,,,,,,,Passive's FAIL....

only active reflector showed any use.

http://offshore.ussailing.org/Assets...r+Test.pdf.pdf

Given how and when large ships use radar Passive radar reflector have only psychological use.If it make you feel good then fly one but the OP's installation is causing more harm to his safety than a reflector could add to it.

Your own radar with AIS is the way to go....Active reflectors seem to work reasonably well but for there cost and power use i would just my own radar.

Several studies where undertaken by independent agencies because of rundown incidents with large shipping. The results are all more or less the same.
The first two sources are from the 1995 report that is also referred to by Practical Sailor. At that time, the Trilens reflector did not exist.

The other two are from the Ouzo accident investigation in 2007. The conclusion is that none of the passive reflectors can achieve the 10m^2 criterion. The large Trilens has the second best RCS of all passive reflectors, after the Polaref whose price-point (2000.- British pounds) gives some pause. Predictibly, RCS of the the smaller Trilens is considerably lower but it still outperforms all passive reflectors except the large Trilens and the Polarref for healing angles exceeding 15degrees (which of course is of great interest for sailling vessels). As a side note, the Davis is the worst of the octahedrals.

I agree with your conclusion that active radar plus AIS is best. If this is not in the cards, and neither is a $4000.- passive reflector, then these reports, in agreement with the Practical Sailor study that I cited, all agree that the Trilens is the best solution.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-03-2012
Banned

ParadiseParrot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
I agree with your conclusion that active radar plus AIS is best. If this is not in the cards, and neither is a $4000.- passive reflector, then these reports, in agreement with the Practical Sailor study that I cited, all agree that the Trilens is the best solution.
Correct 70% average of 25% of minimum needed return makes it the least worthless of the completely worthless and still adds nothing to your safety with large shipping. But It should help the 30 ft fishing boats out there from hitting you.

Practical Sailor is using a 2.5 sq. meter as a minimum.
ISO uses 7.5 and UK government uses 10 sq meters and warns that that will really not be seen.
Your boating safety dollar is wasted on these products and a $25 dollar model will keep you in regs.
rikhall likes this.

Last edited by ParadiseParrot; 09-03-2012 at 02:38 AM.
Old 09-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseParrot View Post
Correct 70% average of 25% of minimum needed return makes it the least worthless of the completely worthless and still adds nothing to your safety with large shipping. But It should help the 30 ft fishing boats out there from hitting you.

Practical Sailor is using a 2.5 sq. meter as a minimum.
ISO uses 7.5 and UK government uses 10 sq meters and warns that that will really not be seen.
Your boating safety dollar is wasted on these products and a $25 dollar model will keep you in regs.
Yes, 2.5sq meter was considered adequate, and therefore was the standard until a few years ago. Now the standard has been changed to 10 sq m.

But, if I may, can I come back to my original question? It was not whether or not to BUY a trilens reflector. This is (for me) a moot question since I have one for several years on my mast. The question was whether it makes sense to take it off the mast and hoist it to the spreaders when needed.

From the discussion so far, it seems nobody has a strong argument against this, so given the disadvantages of its present location (halyard wrap), I will likely to proceed with my plan.
Old 09-03-2012
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
The question was whether it makes sense to take it off the mast and hoist it to the spreaders when needed.
1 - If it make you feel good, sure, hoist it when it gets foggy.

2 - By all means, take it down from its permanent position. From the sound of it, it is more hassle than it is worth.

We have radar and use it when needed. And that can easily be about 1/4 to 1/3 of the time during a three week trip.

We also have AIS and use it as well..

Us, personally, we would not be without our radar nor our AIS. And yes, I do have a cheap (bought a Bacon's 2nd hand) fold up reflector. I don't think I've put it up yet. Our sailing buddies say we give a pretty good target on their radar.

Shalom

Rik
Old 09-03-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

It fouls your halyards?

That's all you need to know, clear it off. Hang it someplace else when you need it, or paint it like a totem pole and leave it on a flag halyard as "art". :-)
Old 09-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
It fouls your halyards?

That's all you need to know, clear it off. Hang it someplace else when you need it, or paint it like a totem pole and leave it on a flag halyard as "art". :-)
Alea iacta est.

The thing comes down.

Thanks, guys.

Tags
radar reflector