Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By 4arch
  • 1 Post By btrayfors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2012

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
Furuno GPS 32 Comments?

My Garmin 76 just died, so need to replace with a fixed mount unit.

Any thoughts, pro or con on the Furono GPS 32 unit?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-04-2012

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Re: Furuno GPS 32 Comments?

If you mean the Furuno GP-32, they're not the same thing at all.

The GP-32 is an excellent GPS, but it's not a chart plotter, and doesn't display charts like the Garmin 76xxx series.

Bill
Old 09-05-2012

Just the GPS, no fries....plotter or charts, low cal diet here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 09-05-2012

gingram is on a distinguished road

I would look at the Garmin 441 Chartplotter GPS all in one. The antenna is also built in. If you need an external antenna they are available. The gpsstore is selling it for $419

Happy sailing
Old 09-05-2012

4arch is on a distinguished road

We have a GP-31 (predecessor to the 32) that came with our boat and by my estimation is at least 10-15 years old. It still works flawlessly and is an absolutely rock solid piece of equipment as far as I'm concerned. It is probably one of the few marine electronic devices that has been in production essentialy unaltered for so long. I love its extremely low power consumption and it's simple anchor alarm functionality. I was able to expand the capabilities of ours by connecting its NMEA output to a multiplexer that can feed a laptop or iPad. If it ever gives up, it will definitely be replaced with a 32.
jrd22 likes this.
Old 09-05-2012
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

Excellent instrument for basic lat and long. Standard equipment on a lot of commercial vessels as backup for plotter.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 09-06-2012

Thanks all. Went across to Singapore yesterday and bought the GP 32. Installation today.

I had a 15 year old Magellan XL fixed mount GPS that was losing it's screen readibility, bought it for 99 bucks at a close out sale in Seattle, not a bad lifetime for 99 bucks

My Garmin 76 lasted 7.5 years, was mounted in the cockpit and got very wet many times. Seems the touch pad gave up the ghost.

The Standard Horizon handheld VHF HX 150S gave 13 years of service. It too saw a tough life cruising. The battery finally said enough is enough. Replaced with an Icom M24.

All in all, pretty good service/value from these electronic devices in a wet, moist, hot, humid, cold, outdoor boating environment.

Old 09-06-2012

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4arch View Post
We have a GP-31 (predecessor to the 32) that came with our boat and by my estimation is at least 10-15 years old. It still works flawlessly and is an absolutely rock solid piece of equipment as far as I'm concerned. It is probably one of the few marine electronic devices that has been in production essentialy unaltered for so long. I love its extremely low power consumption and it's simple anchor alarm functionality. I was able to expand the capabilities of ours by connecting its NMEA output to a multiplexer that can feed a laptop or iPad. If it ever gives up, it will definitely be replaced with a 32.
I have three GP-31's, two in use and one in reserve. They are identically programmed with waypoints and routes, and have been absolutely rock solid for many years. As far as I'm concerned, there's no better bargain in a reliable GPS-only device.

I have installed the GP-32 for customers as well. It appears to be just as well made and reliable. But, for my purposes, I see no reason to "upgrade" now or ever. The GP-31 does what I need to have done, and is flawless in it's execution. So good that I can ignore the several awkward "defects", like limitations on waypoints and uploads which wipe over everything already programmed. Annoying, but easy to work around if you're careful.

Bill
Old 09-07-2012

Finished Installing the GP 32. Now to install the way points so we can get outta here.

Another question. Data hub? I'd like to link the DSC radio and radar to the NMEA outputs from the GP 32. What is the best way? Terminal block? Multiplexer? Will the GP 32 support a USB type connnector or do I go with a DSUB 9 pin connector?

Old 09-07-2012

The GP-32, the "talker", will easily support two "listeners".

My GP-31 provides NMEA data to my Laptop/Maptech Offshore Navigator and to my VHF.

Best way is probably to use a small terminal strip to connect the necessary wires.

Bill
aeventyr60 likes this.