Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-06-2012

loup30s is on a distinguished road
St4000 - rc435 - sea-talk help

I really need some help as I can't find manuals on electrical hook up diagrams of these units. After removing steering from cockpit and having to cut wires that were in bits and pieces I can't seem to get it hooked up with new wiring. I have looked for hours on internet for manuals but cant seem to find them.
ANY HELP WOULD BE SO APPRECIATED .
THANK YOU SO MUCH
Attached Thumbnails
St4000  - rc435  -  sea-talk   help-100_2010.jpg   St4000  - rc435  -  sea-talk   help-100_2012.jpg   St4000  - rc435  -  sea-talk   help-100_2013.jpg   St4000  - rc435  -  sea-talk   help-100_2017.jpg   St4000  - rc435  -  sea-talk   help-100_2014.jpg  

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-28-2012

szigi is on a distinguished road
Re: St4000 - rc435 - sea-talk help

First of all, all manuals are on the Raymarine site, look for retired product manual, they seem to rearrange the site once in a while.
Here is the chartplotter manual: https://flir.box.com/s/elqaup3xectwb...3/3274038465/1
Here's the autopilot: https://flir.box.com/s/nwf2s5ha9xrlt...3/3273060377/1
And here is the NMEA-Seatalk box: https://flir.box.com/s/nwf2s5ha9xrlt...3/3273031475/1

Now how to hook all this up?. It depend on what you would like to achieve. If the only thing you want to do is to drive the autopilot with the chartplotter, then you will not need the Seatalk-NMEA bridge box. The rc435 has only NMEA out, no Seatalk. It has a single connection cable, I assume, you have that. If not, you'll neet to get one.The NMEA out lines are the yellow (+) and the brown (-). Connect these to the NMEA in of the autopilot.

Also connect the 12V + and - supply to the autopilot and to the chartplotter (red + and black -).

That is it, it should now work if you set up tracks in the chartplotter and put the autopilot into track mode (pressing both +10 -10 ) it should show just work.

Now, things get more complicated if you have other Seatalk instruments such as ST50, and you want them to display data on the chartplotter. The seatlak and the nmea both used for data exchange between instruments, but there is a difference. NMEA is a talker- listener type, so you can only connect one nmea out to one or more nmea ins. So you cannot connect more than one nmea outputs (that is instruments) to other. Seatalk however is a bus type connection (and Raymarine proprietary), all instruments on a bus can talk to each other.
Connecting Seatalk is easy, just connect the Seatalk pin of the instrument to each other. Most Raymarine instrument have the +12 and -12 next to the Seatalk connector (connector shapes vary for different models). Red is +12, Black is -12 and yellow is Seatalk. So a 3 wire cable can supply power to the instruments, and for example the ST50 model instruments can simply be chained next to each other without any cable. Independent of the connector shape all Seatalk instrument can be connected to each other, you may need to slice and slice the cables. You only need to connect power to the chain at one point, but not all instruments (for example autopilots) can be directly powered from the Seatalk chain, they need separate power, because of the high current consumption.
So if you have an all Seatalk system, then it's easy. However, if you have a NMEA device, then you will need the NMEA-Seatalk box. It has two seatalk/power connection (one could be enough, it's there for convenience). It has an NMEA in and NMEA out, and RS232 out and an Alarm out connector. If you want to exchange data between NMEA and Seatalk, connect the Seatalk and the NMEA ports. So here you would connect your Seatalk instruments to each other as the NMEA box, and connect the NMEA out of the boy to the NMEA in of the chartplotter. Thus instrument data (depth, speed, whatever) can be displayed. If you have other NMEA equipment, connect that to the NMEA in of the box (but remember, only one instrument, if you want more instruments, you'll need an NMEA multiplexer). The RS232 out may be used to hook up a PC serial port to the system and see data there. On the alarm out you may connect a buzzer, to hear alarms (such as autopilot course error) in the cabin.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loup30s View Post
I really need some help as I can't find manuals on electrical hook up diagrams of these units. After removing steering from cockpit and having to cut wires that were in bits and pieces I can't seem to get it hooked up with new wiring. I have looked for hours on internet for manuals but cant seem to find them.
ANY HELP WOULD BE SO APPRECIATED .
THANK YOU SO MUCH
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook