SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Electronics (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electronics/)
-   -   How to Connect to the World at Sea ? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electronics/93531-how-connect-world-sea.html)

HighFly_27 10-28-2012 02:38 PM

How to Connect to the World at Sea ?

I'd like to Know How to Connect to the World while cruising offshore. My location will be south FL and down the Caribbean chain.

I read that some folks are able to connect with a Satellite Dish at anchor. I have seen the high dollar motor homes with a lock on satellite dish but I bet they were really $$$ expensive.

I'm interested in -- phone service, TV and whatever else is available.

I'm very green to sailing off shore, so please bear with me.

Let me know what may be the best way to go. I have a new satelite dish, still in box that I won at a RV Show.

Thanks in Advance

Avery (HighFly27)

kd3pc 10-28-2012 05:30 PM

Re: How to Connect to the World at Sea ?

it is only a matter of money...the technology is there.

receive via a dish is quite easy, a mount, receiver and a dish...as long as you are fairly stable and flat or at least very slow moving so the mount can keep up. $2K or so plus subscription cost.

sat phone, pricey even more so for data.

trans/receive via satellite dish (ie internet)....likely out of the casual cruiser's price range, 10's of thousands in gear and $$$ per megabyte of data, plus some place to rack and stack gear and antennae

without a marine mount/tracking/system....your RV dish is of little use

HighFly_27 10-28-2012 07:05 PM

Yes, I was just nosing around and found one system -- KIVIHI, KVH Marine, m1dX, for marine use, down to 26 ft. boat, in motion, sale price $ 2995.00. I would buy something like this, until I had my boat fully set up with all the things it (really) needs, then, consider... things like this.

Thanks for the Info. .

I knew nothing before today and getting a little smarter, just a little.

Thanks Again,

Avery

denverd0n 10-29-2012 01:01 PM

This topic has come up many times. Do a search and you'll find lots of discussion.

You really need to first figure out what you need. Then start thinking about wants. Then it's a matter of balancing cost against requirements.

Bottom line, if you want high-speed internet access from the middle of the ocean it will cost tens-of-thousands for the hardware, and thousands per month in subscription fees. If you can settle for low-speed access to text e-mails, that can be done with some time spent educating yourself, less than a thousand dollars in equipment, and no on-going monthly fees.

copacabana 11-01-2012 10:14 AM

If you're going to be hanging out in the islands, why not just get a mobile phone with internet when you're in Caribbean? I'm sure that it'll be the cheapest way to go and you'll have a phone to boot!