SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Electronics (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electronics/)
-   -   What is this Item, See Picture (below) ? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electronics/93715-what-item-see-picture-below.html)

HighFly_27 11-02-2012 01:05 PM

What is this Item, See Picture (below) ?

2 Attachment(s)
I got my I-37 delivered on the 31st of October.

I saw this Disk Shaped Item and assumed it's -- Ant. or GPS Receiver.

I looked at it for ID Markings and found nothing, they may have faded out over time. The boat had a Garmin 12 in it; this could be the old receiver for the Garmin 12 or another GPS system ? I don't know boat electronics at all,

so I'm asking.. what is it ______________ about 9 inch disk, (1) lead outlet ?

Also, I found a Shakespere Ant.. I assumed that this was for the VHF that plugs into the top of the mast ? How do you check them out for the correct impedence value ? I remember matching up my twin ant's. on my big truck; I had a high wattage radio for long range use. I assume that your radio and ant's. (in boats) need to be matched up. So, you can't take the boat to a radio shop. I was wondering what value range is acceptable ( _____ high &

______ low in olms).

Thanks,

Avery

FSMike 11-02-2012 01:21 PM

Re: What is this Item, See Picture (below) ?

VHFs do not need to be matched like CBs, just hook it up. Don't know what your disc shaped antenna is though, you're probably right about the Garmin.

chef2sail 11-02-2012 01:24 PM

That looks like a older Shakespeare TV antannae, but the bump on yours seems more pronounced maybe its a loran antannae

Shakespeare Seawatch 2025 TV Antenna - Gander Mountain

Faster 11-02-2012 02:03 PM

Typically the TV antennas are a bit larger.. I'd be leaning towards an older style GPS receiver antenna... but OTOH it's a bit big for that!?!

HighFly_27 11-02-2012 02:28 PM

Re: What is this Item, See Added Pic's. (below) ?

5 Attachment(s)
I just took some better picture's and one of the cable end, chopped off.

Whatever it was, its most likely junk now. I did see a box marked A & B, with sliding switch that plugs into a junction box .. marked TV.

Ok Then, that ought to get us there ref. ID of Disk ???

HighFly_27 11-02-2012 02:35 PM

I just ID'd the Shakespeare Ant., its a Squatty Body type, No# 5215.

I read (here) that it does not need the impedence match up like CB ant's, thats a good thing. The Ant. looks great and like new.. that's a plus.

emoney 11-02-2012 02:40 PM

Not sure what it is, but I'm almost positive my neighbor has one on his Islander. At least from 50' away it looks just like it.

chef2sail 11-02-2012 02:50 PM

a/b switch was probably for a FM radio. I have a newer model amplified shakespeake TV antaenna to give away should you want it. I bought a Glomar this spring

HighFly_27 11-02-2012 03:28 PM

Re: What is this Item, See Added Pic's. (below) ?

I just took some better picture's and one of the cable end, chopped off.

What ever it was, most likely junk now. I dod see a box marked A & B with sliding switch that plugs into a junction box .. marked TV.

Ok Then, that ought to get us there ref. ID of Disk ???

svHyLyte 11-02-2012 04:40 PM

It is a powered TV Antenna. We have the same unit at our masthead that has proven to be very effective despite the switch to digital transmissions (so long as one has a digital TV able to decode the signals). The sliding A/B switch is to choose a feed to the TV, either the antenna or another signal source (on our boat an input from a shore side Cable TV hook-up). If the cable was chopped off, I suspect that was the result of a frustrated prior owner that likely had a problem with the antenna cable rather than the antenna itself. We had a similar problem when we first took over our boat but we were able to lead a new antenna cable through the mast and have been very pleased with the result.

FWIW...