SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Electronics (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electronics/)
-   -   ipad as instrumentation... (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/electronics/94055-ipad-instrumentation.html)

blutoyz 11-13-2012 11:25 AM

ipad as instrumentation...

Hey All,
I stumbled across a program called Avia Sail that when linked with InavX seems to be a really cool display at the helm. Has anyone rigged their Ipad to display GPS info along with other parameters and what is involved?

It may be waaaay too involved and expensive but it would be a neat toy. (BTW - I am just planning on day sailing in a familiar bay, I just like toys)

Thanks,

blutoyz 11-13-2012 05:11 PM

Re: ipad as instrumentation...

Wow..tough question I guess:eek:

No wonder my search was ineffective...It must be stupid expensive to do a setup like this.:(

jsaronson 11-13-2012 06:08 PM

i use the Navoinics app to plan, but I have a plotter at the helm. It will mirror to the ipad.

Stumble 11-13-2012 06:18 PM

NavX with a wifi multiplex will do even more. I have it set up so that I can control my autopilot with my iPad as well as see all my instruments.

blutoyz 11-14-2012 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stumble (Post 947893)
NavX with a wifi multiplex will do even more. I have it set up so that I can control my autopilot with my iPad as well as see all my instruments.

That's what I am talking about!!!
I don't need control as I have no autopilot. What is involved to get wind speed, direction, and depth to the ipad? Speed and heading will come from iNavx from what I can tell.

Thanks in advance;)

chucklesR 11-14-2012 08:23 AM

Raymarine e7d's (and larger) do the wifi network with phones, tablets etc.. both remote viewing and remote control of autopilots and other chart plotter / MFD functions. Simple wifi setup.
It's both android and ipad compatible.

I wouldn't use my phone (samsung giii) as instrumentation, but it is a nice handheld repeater.

blutoyz 11-14-2012 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chucklesR (Post 948187)
Raymarine e7d's (and larger) do the wifi network with phones, tablets etc.. both remote viewing and remote control of autopilots and other chart plotter / MFD functions. Simple wifi setup.

I wouldn't use my phone (samsung giii) as instrumentation, but it is a nice handheld repeater.

I agree that phone is out(can't see it with my old eyes) but I will check out the e7d.

Thanks

sailortjk1 11-14-2012 08:40 AM

What happens when the Ipad gets wet from spray or rain?
Are Ipads intended to be used in marine environments?
I understand you said
Quote:

day sailing in a familiar bay
, but I would be concerned that it would get damaged.

blutoyz 11-14-2012 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailortjk1 (Post 948196)
What happens when the Ipad gets wet from spray or rain?
Are Ipads intended to be used in marine environments?
I understand you said , but I would be concerned that it would get damaged.

Waterproof case with a helm mount would be a must.

blutoyz 11-14-2012 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chucklesR (Post 948187)

The Raymarine unfortunately defeats the purpose of me wanting to use the Ipad...cheap (already have an Ipad). I admit that it is a very nice unit but the admiral may have something to say about a $1500 plotter for bay sailing...LOL:laugher

I know that I can get inavx with real time GPS that will give me speed and heading at the helm. For this year I may just put a windex 15 on the masthead and a digital depth on the bulkhead ( heck, I have a fishfinder on my center console that will work) and be good. If I decide to venture into the open I will get a more dedicated setup for sure.

Thanks for the tip though, it put me in the right direction.