Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
Standard Horizon WS100

My SH wind instrument has quit. Did a full reset with no luck. Wind speed reads 0 and wind direction is erratic. If left off for 24 hours, it will work for about an hour or two, then quit.

I suspect it's the display. What are my options? Can I replace just the display with an ST 60? Some other display with the same square footprint?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-30-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Standard Horizon WS100

Ed,

The SH wind instrument runs off of what NMEA 0183 I will bet. The ST60 will be Seatalk and most of the new wind instruments will be NMEA 2000.

If you can get a converter ( multiplexer) to change the NMEA into seatalk it should work. (this assumes the display is the culprit)

Raymarine Seatalk - NMEA bridge for Brookhouse multiplexer

Raymarine SeaTalk Interface

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 11-30-2012

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
So the already expensive display will get even worse with another box?
Likely easier/cheaper to replace the whole system
Cr@p
Old 11-30-2012

Yes I know...afraid so. What type of instruments does Freedom have?

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 11-30-2012

Wind speed/direction is the ws100, knotmeter is also stan horizon. Depth was SH but I replaced that with Ray ST 60+ which works fine with the old SH transducer, same freq.
Autopilot is old raytheon
Thinking Tack Tick may be the way to go so I don't have to run the wire

Read the brookehouse info....over my head!

Thanks Dave

Last edited by xort; 11-30-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old 11-30-2012

I have friends who have had nothing but problems with Tic Tack,,,now Raymarine. Investigate carefully.

dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 12-01-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
My SH wind instrument has quit. Did a full reset with no luck. Wind speed reads 0 and wind direction is erratic. If left off for 24 hours, it will work for about an hour or two, then quit.

I suspect it's the display. What are my options? Can I replace just the display with an ST 60? Some other display with the same square footprint?
We have had similar difficulties with our SH Wind Speed/Direction indicator. If you have had any lightening in your area the linearization of the direction indicator is likely out of synch and if you've had birds sitting on the wind wand, you likely have bird poop goofing up the speed indicator. You may also have some corrosion on the pins at the wand connector at the mast head.

I suggest you try pulling the wand and thoroughly cleaning the connection pins. Also pull the cups off the spindle and clean the receiver, spindle and cups with warm soapy water and dry thoroughly. Then spray the spindle with SailKote and reinstall the cups once that's dry. Remove the display to access the connector on the back side and release the cable connection. Then do a cold "reset" of the unit to clear the memory and reset the factory defaults. Then plug the wand pins directly into the cable connection at the unit itself and follow the instructions in the user manual for relinearizing the direction indicator (under Calibration). This involves getting the display into linearizing mode and spinning the direction indicator in one direction (only) until the display has made a full 360º rotation. Then, drop down to speed and spin the cups manually to see if the speed indicator registers although it likely should/will. You can recalibrate that at deck level if you have a wind wizzard or other hand held wind speed indicator or later at the mast-head. If the foregoing goes well, coat the pins in the wand with a little conductive grease and reinstall at the masthead. With that you can calibrate the direction indicator and adjust the displayed speed as necessary.

Unfortunately, we seem to have to go through this routine at roughly 3 year intervals. Frankly, I routinely ignore the wind speed/direction indicator and simply refer to the Windex we have at the masthead.

FWIW...Good Luck.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Last edited by svHyLyte; 12-02-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old 12-01-2012

Ed,

Do you have a fuse in your connection...have you checked it...the contact points?

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 12-01-2012

HyLite, thanks much. I'll try that as soon as I can get aloft.

Dave, no fuse inline, unit always stays lit up.

Unit will work for about a half hour after sitting for a day or 2, then back to zero for the duration.
Old 12-02-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by xort View Post
HyLite, thanks much. I'll try that as soon as I can get aloft.

Dave, no fuse inline, unit always stays lit up.

Unit will work for about a half hour after sitting for a day or 2, then back to zero for the duration.
Good Luck. The hardest part about the process is climbing to the masthead (at least on our boat, 62'). Note also, unless you're going to get the whole process done in one afternoon, be sure to tape up the connector at the masthead for protection.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."