Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-06-2012

xymotic is on a distinguished road
flush mount And removable?

Does anyone know of a clever way to have a med sized MFD like a NSS7 or 8 securely flush-mounted like in a navpod, AND still have it be relatively easily removable for storage?

I want a clean console but wanna be able to take that sucker off for security.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-06-2012

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Re: flush mount And removable?

The answer is it depends.
Are you willing to change the wiring going to the instrument(s) in the navpod so that you can disconnect the devices, and/or does the manufacturer of those instruments make a short female to female extender?

Taking the navpod itself off is easy, unhooking the instruments is not so easy, most have large diameter multi pin plugs that have to be pulled through the angle guards the pod is mounted to.

For just a single small chartplotter you can look at the navpod RMX10 or something similar (mounts the pod to a stanchion on a swing arm) - easily removable - but you still have to contend with the wiring.
Old 12-08-2012

xymotic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
The answer is it depends.
Are you willing to change the wiring going to the instrument(s) in the navpod so that you can disconnect the devices, and/or does the manufacturer of those instruments make a short female to female extender?

Taking the navpod itself off is easy, unhooking the instruments is not so easy, most have large diameter multi pin plugs that have to be pulled through the angle guards the pod is mounted to.

For just a single small chartplotter you can look at the navpod RMX10 or something similar (mounts the pod to a stanchion on a swing arm) - easily removable - but you still have to contend with the wiring.
yeah... I'd like to avoid removing the whole pod because there will be other things on it. Stuff I don't care about removing like a 12v outlet or a base for a ram mic etc. I'm looking for something as simple as the two knobs on a surface mount U arm. I just really like the look of flush mount on a panel. (and I don't want it to leak into the pod either) I don't really think it can be done but I'm hoping some genius has figured it out.
Old 12-09-2012

redline is on a distinguished road

FWIW, I mounted my E80 on a RAM mount two-section swing arm on the aft end of my cockpit table, with the original Raymarine U-bracket fastened to the platform of the swing mount. Weather protection is totally dependent on the Raymarine connectors, though the unit does tuck mostly under the edge of the tabletop and between the folded side leaves. Removing it is "simply" a matter of releasing the two large knobs, and unplugging 4 (or is it 5) cables. What I do like is that the plotter can be pulled out and swung to either side to accomodate either helm and/or avoid sun glare. But it isn't a pod.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.