Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2013

ChristinaM is on a distinguished road
Re: Help choosing a new MFD and Radar needed

If you're headed for NFLD but don't quite make it, I'd recommend the Brad D'Or lakes in Cape Breton. But I did grow up near there so I'm pretty biased. Georgian Bay is pretty nice sailing though it'll be a few months before I can get back on the water.

Looks like you're right about the limited compatibility for the broadband radars. The Lowrance guide shows just a few Lowrance and Simrad plotters and 1 B&G plotter as options. There's a radar interface box required for the Simrad and B&G plotters. Too bad that interface box isn't more generic.

My marina's running a seminar with Raymarine in a few weeks, so I'll definitely be bugging them about whether I'll be able to get 2-way communication between the MFD & autopilot. It could be a different answer with the c95 and C90W. I'm trying to come up with my list of questions for them, like what I'll have to change if my course computer dies.

I hadn't come across the Panbo forum yet, thanks for the link!
Old 01-06-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

If I was in the market today I would be giving strong consideration to the new Lowrance HDS7 Gen II Touch. Have not yet seen the GoFREE app but the unit is a very, very well thought out product.

I have installed a number of the e7D's, and they are decent units, but the Raymarine user interface is still overly complex and not very user intuitive.

Also keep in mind that Garmin will be answering the e7 and HDS Gen 2 devices this spring so you may want to wait. The new version of the 740 is supposed to be very sweet....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-06-2013

ChristinaM is on a distinguished road

Maine Sail, how are the Lowrance and Garmin products for adding to existing SeaTalk1 set ups? As much as I'd love to toss everything and start fresh, the money's probably better spent on new sails.
Old 01-19-2013

GrahamO is on a distinguished road

I have been digging into what actual functionality you get from an MFD when using a single vendor package. For Raymarine products it has been illuminating - and, unfortunately, disappointing.

Clearly the new C and E series MFD's are mainly aimed at powerboat users. The fully supported waypoint navigation is of very limited use to a sailboat. The key functions for sailing are the +10 +1 -1 -10 heading adjustments, both in compass and windvane mode. These do not appear to be available on the MFD at all. Neither, apparently, does the ability to enter and exit either compass or windvane mode and set heading. This is addressed in section 9.1 of this manual. WARNING: 25 meg download.

This is all a little strange. These functions are already available on a simple cabled remote so there is clearly a demand for remote heading adjustments. Replicating the remote's functionality on the MFD would appear to be a pretty simple task.

So they 'talk' to one another but they certainly don't appear to make good use of that fact. I'm guessing that alternative MFD's will be able to display Raymarine data as effectively as the Raymarine MFD via NMEA.

Interestingly where this leaves me is that there appears to be little functional advantage in sticking to a single vendor for instrumentation so I might be able to go with that broadband radar after all......

Please let me know if I am missing something here.

Thanks

Graham
Old 01-19-2013

xymotic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamO View Post
So they 'talk' to one another but they certainly don't appear to make good use of that fact. I'm guessing that alternative MFD's will be able to display Raymarine data as effectively as the Raymarine MFD via NMEA.

Interestingly where this leaves me is that there appears to be little functional advantage in sticking to a single vendor for instrumentation so I might be able to go with that broadband radar after all......

Please let me know if I am missing something here.

Thanks

Graham
Well, if you get a simrad MFD you can do without the Autopilot control head altogether and save some $$. Or have both and have a little redundancy in case one died. So there is actually an advantage to sticking to one MFR, as long as it's Simrad
Old 01-20-2013

Help choosing a new MFD and Radar needed

Z,
Can you provide a little more explanation here? I'm not following you.

Thanks

Graham
Old 01-20-2013

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

Graham,

The new Simrad IS40 (and the B&G, which looks like the same device) is an MFD with autopilot control, if you buy an extra little remote control.

I'm thinking of replacing my Garmin GMI 10 with the Simrad IS40, for a few reasons : bigger display, better calibration of speed and wind devices, and adjustable damping (GMI 10 appears to have none, makes it useless for wind info)
Old 01-20-2013

Thanks for that. An interesting idea but a little off track for me. I'm looking for a chart plotter / MFD that will interface functionally with Raymarine instruments.

Graham
Old 01-21-2013

xymotic is on a distinguished road

They all will. if you are looking to control an autopilot from the MFD only Simrad/B&G will do that.
Old 01-22-2013

Presumably only if I replace the Raymarine autopilot.... My retirement is already getting deferred to pay for this toy so that one will have to wait.
I must say I am disappointed in Raymarine's current MFD implementation. It is really just a fancy chart plotter with additional displays rather than an MFD.