LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013
Badger Sailor

MSN2Travelers is on a distinguished road
Re: Choosing/spec'ing VHF radio?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaten View Post
MSN, all;

For now, it will be me solo puttering the N. Chessie, mostly daylight and probably for short-term/couple day trips... at least for this season. Eventually, the plan is to be on the water between the Chessie and Corpus Christie somewhere, full time

While I *had* considered a handheld, I was recommended a permanent cabin mount, as it will fare better at distance and be less likely to take a swim

Would you consider AIS to be mandatory on the ICW ?

Oh! BTW.. my W-27 has tiller, not wheel steerage. Mo' room in the 'pit

Thanx,
Paul

I guess it’s time to roll play. You’re at the tiller and that fixed VHF is somewhere down below. I can tell you that it is unlikely that you will hear anything being said and if you do hear something, it is unlikely that you will understand what is being said.

This will prompt you to get an external speaker in the cockpit just to hear and understand what is said. Now you can hear and understand what is being said but the damn mike is down below. Maybe you can get a long mike cable but I’ve never seen one.

That is why I suggested a handheld as your first radio. Under $150 for a floater and you’re good to go.

If you are convinced that a fixed unit with a longer reach is what you need right now, then something like the Standard Horizon GX1600 with a RAM3 in the cockpit would work well for you. Welcome to StandardHorizon.com Of course, the DSC safety function would be crippled due to no GPS data.

Standard Horizon has the GX1700, which is basically the GX1600 with built-in GPS Welcome to StandardHorizon.com About $210 thru Amazon.com

Both radios can be installed below and the only thing in the cockpit would be the RAM3 remote mike. About $90 thru Defender.com http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...957&id=1133628

Don’t forget the antenna ($40) and co-ax run up the mast (about $1 per foot plus connectors).

Can’t speak to the ICW . . . never been there.
eherlihy and deltaten like this.
`99 Beneteau Oceanis 352, #282 WiTCHCRAFT
Milwaukee, WI
Sailing Lake Michigan and the Great Lakes

Last edited by MSN2Travelers; 02-10-2013 at 10:42 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-10-2013

doogymon is on a distinguished road

For any Canadians sailing in Canadian waters, make sure the radio has an Industry Canada
Certification. If has FCC only, that doesn't mean its OK for the Great White North. That goes for anything radio..i.e FRS radios etc.

Cheers
Old 02-11-2013

FDR14127 is on a distinguished road

All good advice here, but if you are going to cruise south, I would opt for the AIS built into the radio. We have an ICOM with the AIS receiver option as an addon and I wish I could trade it for the newer model with integrated AIS. I would also opt for the facility to add the extended mic, but you don't have to buy the the extra mike until you feel the need to spend the extra money. We just reach down below and extend the cable so far. We like the ICOM brand, but then I tend to buy cars built within 500 miles of the Alps, performance counts and the price is about the same.....

Oh and the Canadian ICOM rep lives in St. Catharines and it's his AIS receiver that is putting the Welland shipping on the web, just so you know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by FDR14127; 02-11-2013 at 12:48 AM. Reason: add data
Old 02-11-2013

bhcva is on a distinguished road

"DO NOT get the MMSI number from Boat US"

Bill.....why do you say that?
Old 02-11-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

In today's world, with the offerings that are out there for VHF, there is no way I'd go with anything but my Standard Horizon 2150x, with AIS.
You can feed it GPS very easily from even a hand held provided you have one with a cradle/stand like my Magellan has.
Old 02-11-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

I suggest that a handheld VHF without DSC is the first radio that you should have. The reason for going without DSC is that the MMSI is associated with the vessel, and not the radio. It would be a pain to get a good handheld, and then have to leave it behind because you are sailing on OPBs, or upgrade your boat. A good (5W+) handheld is also more useful than a RAM if you ever have to ditch.

After getting a good handheld, I would then look at a fixed mount VHF for communication over longer ranges. The fixed mount unit will also integrate with a GPS to provide DSC. AIS would be nice to have, but you can always buy a standalone AIS receiver, or transceiver.
deltaten likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
Old 02-13-2013

br3nt is on a distinguished road
I have the Standard Horizon handheld with DSC and GPS. I was easily able to log onto the BoatUS MMSI registry and change the boat information when I got my new boat. No need to leave a DSC handheld when selling a boat.
Old 02-13-2013
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by br3nt View Post
I have the Standard Horizon handheld with DSC and GPS. I was easily able to log onto the BoatUS MMSI registry and change the boat information when I got my new boat. No need to leave a DSC handheld when selling a boat.
You may want to double check that....

Here is a quote from the Standard Horizon HX851 handheld User Manual, page 34;
Quote:
WARNING
A user MMSI can be inputted only once (as per government regulation). Therefore please be careful not to input the incorrect MMSI number. If you need to change the MMSI after it has been programmed, the radio will have to be returned to Factory Service...

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Last edited by eherlihy; 02-13-2013 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Friggin' punctuation - again
Old 02-13-2013

br3nt is on a distinguished road
Right, the number can be inputted once and must remain with the radio. The vessel that the number is associated with can be changed on the website.
Old 02-13-2013
Learning the HARD way...

UPDATE: my mistake - br3nt is right. The MMSI is associated with the INDIVIDUAL and not the vessel, as I indicated in my previous post. The MMSI database entry, however, does identify the vessel, hailing port and emergency points of contact.

So, while you can edit the MMSI Database to indicate that you and your MMSI registered radio are changing vessels, it still seems like a pain to have to do this if you go sailing on a friend's boat, and want to bring your handheld VHF.

I hope this helps.