But if not...
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Annapolis MD
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Rep Power: 5
Garmin 740 vs 741
So the new 741 is due out in the next few weeks. Of course that means the existing 740 will be seriously discounted. So I thought I'd get opinions on the relative merits of the 2 units.
Here's my context:
- planning to buy either the 740 or 741 ad pair it with the Garmin 18HD radar
- use Garmin BlueChart Mobile on both iPad and iPhone (planning and backup)
- will also connect a vhf/ais unit
- I have no electronics on board (other than basic sailing instruments) so am thankfully starting from scratch
- current sailing area is the Chesapeake - probably for another year, then am planning to cruise the east coast Maine down to the Bahamas - maybe farther.
- I want the Garmin for the chart set of the Bahamas
- the Bluechart Mobile app is very impressive (planning and back up device)
- just finishing up our autopilot install (WH) and it's independent from any GPS so is not a consideration
Pros/cons (so far)
- the 741 has wireless connectivity to Garmin Bluechart Mobile
- the 740 and the 741 have the same chart set
- I understand the improved refresh rate and all that, but don't think that really matters all that much at our cruising speeds
- the price difference could be significant - maybe enough to cover the radar purchase
- not sure yet what other advantages/disadvantages the 741 will offer
Would very much appreciate thoughts about which unit to choose. Particularly if anyone has experience with the 740/18HD combo and/or if you've tried to use an iPad with it in some way.