Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-06-2013
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road
Raymarine transducer sense wire (-RAYA 7pin connector)

Does anyone know what Raymarine electronics are looking for on the sense pin?

I'm using a e7d MFD, which uses this pinout for it's transducers:
http://server.iad.liveperson.net/hc/...attachid=40336

I have a Raymarine RP58 transducer that I picked up for a song to harvest the cable from. This is a transom mount depth/speed/temp transducer. I also have the original Autohelm ST50 transducers (one for depth, one for speed) mounted in my boat which I'm trying to actually use.

I've gotten the e7d talking to my depth transducer by using the blue and black wires from the depth transducer and the green and brown wires from the RP58. The RP58 doesn't just have the green and black wires shorted out internally as shown in that diagram. I thought there might be a diode between them, but I didn't measure any voltage drop across the pins.

The white/red/green wires are unnecessary, but the e7d won't recognize the depth transducer without seeing something on the green and brown wires.

If I can figure out the e7d wants to see on the sense pin then I could remove the "dead" RP58 from my system and get to hooking up the speed and temp sensors to my e7D.
Old 03-06-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Raymarine transducer sense wire (-RAYA 7pin connector)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
Does anyone know what Raymarine electronics are looking for on the sense pin?
Yes. A very small resistance (cable resistance) to ground... but that doesn't seem to be relevant to the rest of your post.

Quote:
I'm using a e7d MFD, which uses this pinout for it's transducers:
http://server.iad.liveperson.net/hc/...attachid=40336

Having done something similar recently, I'll try to help, so, stepping back a bit:

It seems the Raymarine "RP58" you refer to might be a "P58" instead, details of which are found here. The Airmar site lists the following wiring diagram for the P58:
http://www.airmartechnology.com/uplo...ams/91_954.pdf
The white, red and green wires you are referring to are shown as white, yellow and orange on the P58.. Confused yet? I am.. but let's move on:

Speed: Basically, Raymarine's newer displays use "2-wire" transducers ("Voltage/Signal" + "Sense" lines) whereas the older ST50 displays and transducers are "3-wire" ("Voltage" + "Speed" + "Ground"). AFAIK, you can't directly interconnect the two types and expect it to work any more than you could directly connect a US made 110V appliance into an Australian 240V power point...

Depth: Assuming you've connected up the Blue and Black wires to their mates on the ST50 transducer, the only other thing the E7 might need is pins 6 & 7 "Ground" connected together - the 'green' wire is not used for depth... But all that is assuming the ST50 transducer you have is a 50/200kHz transducer - if not, it won't work whatever way you hook it up.

Summary: IMHO, it's be easier to get the P58 to work with your E7 display than your existing ST50 transducers.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by Classic30; 03-06-2013 at 08:37 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-06-2013

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry, I did mean a p58. To be specific it is this transducer:
Raymarine A102138 Fishfinder Transducer P58-RAYA | Blue Heron Marine Electronics

It has the same wiring diagram that I linked to above. Airmar's PDF doesn't match the color coding properly and shows a 9 pin connector.

I actually do have depth working now, using the old 300khz only transducer. The e7d identifies it as a 200khz transducer and is working fine. Black and blue are wired to the old thru hull transducer, brown and green are wired to the P58, and nothing else is connected.

The e7d seems to want to see something on sense to know that a transducer is connected. I will do more tests and report back.
Old 03-06-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Happy to help.

Quote:
The e7d seems to want to see something on sense to know that a transducer is connected. I will do more tests and report back.
That's entirely possible.. It should be sufficient to connect Pins 5 & 6 together in the back of the connector and leave it at that.

EDIT: FWIW, if your transducer is a 300kHz unit and the E7 is transmitting at 200kHz, although it might work happily, don't expect the depth reading to be all that accurate..

Last edited by Classic30; 03-07-2013 at 01:21 AM.
Old 03-07-2013

It is a 200khz transducer. I think it is a B22, but the label on the Airmar wire is pretty beat up and it is hard to tell.

I'll try connecting those two pins. They don't test as shorted out with a multimeter, but if it is that simple then I'll be happy.

If that works then I can tackle making the speed transducer work.
Old 03-07-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Quote:
It is a 200khz transducer. I think it is a B22, but the label on the Airmar wire is pretty beat up and it is hard to tell.
Here's the wiring diagram for the B22:
http://www.airmartechnology.com/uplo...ams/91_261.pdf

It is indeed a 200kHz transducer... but the good news is that the wire colours are the same as the ones shown in your original post.

Quote:
I'll try connecting those two pins. They don't test as shorted out with a multimeter, but if it is that simple then I'll be happy.
Apologies, I meant 5 & 6 - the 'sense' and 'ground' pins..

Last edited by Classic30; 03-07-2013 at 01:30 AM.
Old 03-11-2013

Shorting the sense and ground pins did work. I also tested that the same is done on the B68. I'm not sure how I mis-measured that the first time around. Thanks for the advice.

Now to get the speed transducer wired up, then to clean up my wiring nest.
Old 03-11-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Glad I could help..

Quote:
Now to get the speed transducer wired up, then to clean up my wiring nest.
I'm not sure how you'll go with this, but if you do get it working, be sure to tell us how you did it!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.