Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2013
Hinterhoeller HR28

pvanv1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Standard Horizon Matrix AIS+ GX2150

The SH is a great unit. If you are looking for AIS targets, and not complex radar solutions, it is definitely the way to go. Excellent bang for the buck. I have one, and my customers who have them all love them.
Buffalo, NY USA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-24-2013
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
While its nice to get an AIS VHF, I would save save you money and by a real AIS module, Chartplotter and radar. The false sense of security of p a $400 radio providing you with collision protection is not stressed enough. Frankly I think it's a waste of money.

My experience with an integrated system which identifies all vessels is that less than 5% of my radar targets have AIS. AIS is used by very few vessels except large ships and tankers and tugs use AIS.

An AIS integrated with Chart plotter and radar will identify every vessel, those equipped with AIS and not, and the majority of them do not have AIS. Spending money on a 5% solution is not worth it. Save a few hundred and put it to something which works 100% of the time.

I am sure this wont be a popular statement with most, how many would buy a life raft canister if it only saved you 5% of the time. So here you are out in the fog...and you identify 1 out of 20 vessels. No thanks. Do you feel safer...not me.

Dave
Thanks Chef. Something to think about, but, a big electronics upgrade probably won't happen on this boat. I'm on the five year plan for "the" boat. Spending 5K now is just not in the budget. Plus, currently I spend 99% of my time day sailing in good weather.
Old 03-24-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

I think that if someone needs a new radio anyway (old radio is broken or lacks DSC capability), then spending an extra $50-100 for integrated AIS is worth it.

Don't be emboldened to go out in fog just because you have AIS. (I think the same should be said of radar.)

While it is true that AIS does not show most boats under 300 tons, it does show all boats above that size that are operating legally in US waters. If you are under sail, you are usually the stand-on vessel, except when other vessels are so large or unmaneuverable that you have to give way. (When in doubt, just give way and leave enough distance that there is no confusion over your intentions.)

My point in parphrasing this rudimentary navrule is that vessels that don't show up on AIS are more likely to be give-way vessels anyway. Nothing is 100% certain, and you always supplement AIS by standing watch, but the fact is that the AIS transmission requirements for >300 ton vessels gives you added warning of the vessels that you need to be most worried about.

In my own case, I sail on a busy river with lots of commercial traffic. There are always 4-5 large freighters or tankers on the horizon 2-3 miles away. From that distance, I cannot tell whether they are coming at me or not. But the AIS tells me whether they are. (The vast majority are anchored.) Knowing that they are anchored enables me to relax and sail. (But of course they could raise anchor and head down the river any time.)

Before anyone calls this an example of complacency, realize that "false alarms" can distract you from real hazards that exist. When I know that those 4 vessels on the horizon are anchored, I can focus my attention on other true hazards around me. So AIS increases my ability to concentrate on things that are actual hazards.

All of this is true only if you do not allow AIS to embolden you to take risks that you would otherwise avoid. But that's true of all safety equipment.
eherlihy likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 03-24-2013 at 10:42 AM.
Old 03-24-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

As mentioned previous a Chartplotter radar upgrade for TRUE visibility of moving objects can be accomplished for less than $2000.

Rick, you keep talking abut ships on the Delaware. Where I am located we have a great number of them going into the Port of Baltimore also. Having sailed both bathe Delaware and here I can tell you the amount of commercial traffic here is greater by a factor of 3. Just look at the numer of AIS targets in Marine Traffic. We dont sail in the channel so we don't worry about them as much . We do cross the channel and lalways look both ways. Again 95% of boats are not carrying AIS.

How many ships hit sailboats vs sall pleasure cut hit sailboats? How many sailboats sail off off shore where AIS might be a more usefull application. I contend using an AIS app like Boat Beacon is lots cheaper than an unnecessary $400 VHF which you can buy for $200. All have disc now. The standalone AIS VHF sill requires other equipment. So how much do you spend for something giving little coverage from the actual safety incidents you may encounter. AIS usage without the radar is a waste IMHO. AIS won't identify most commercial fishing vessels you come upon in you boating.

An AIS VHF is like the garnish on the plate. It looks nice, it great to say you have it, however like the garnish is just windw dressing. The meat and potatoes and real meal lies on the rest of the plate. You can't survive on a steady diet of garnish.

Save your money and buy a radar and Chartplotter. Every 2-300 helps. You can get good deals for less than $1000 on e bay and Craig's list as people upgrade taking off perfectly good equipment. Heck I just sold a perfectly good Raymarine radar fr $500.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-24-2013
Call me Ishmael

blowinstink is on a distinguished road

I love the Matrix 2150. Love love love it. Period.

Getting the name of the ship you want to hail is priceless. In busy shipping, being hailed by name is the difference between it answering and it not knowing who you are calling or caring.

Being able to pick up COG and know CPA (and when it has passed and the target is moving away) is invaluable.

The only thing I would say is that I like AIS so much that I really would like to have a transceiver in the near future.

That said, the Matrix 2150 only costs $325 (that's today's Defender price and a price readily available on the web) -- not much more than any other high end Class D DCS radios. Installation is a breeze. I think it is a no-brainer for anyone installing a new VHF.
pvanv1 and TakeFive like this.
Old 03-24-2013

Yeah that's what the Mersk wants every Tom, Dick and Harry sailor and power oater dialing up on the VHF asking intentions in a shipping channel without their own AIS . If it makes you feel god you can talk to he big boys ok, but they relly don't want to be bother by you, just want you o stay away.

You have failed to address what I said about the 95%. The ral issue please, not the garnish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowinstink View Post

Getting the name of the ship you want to hail is priceless. In busy shipping, being hailed by name is the difference between it answering and it not knowing who you are calling or caring.

Being able to pick up COG and know CPA (and when it has passed and the target is moving away) is invaluable.

The only thing I would say is that I like AIS so much that I really would like to have a transceiver in the near future.

That said, the Matrix 2150 only costs $325 (that's today's Defender price and a price readily available on the web) -- not much more than any other high end Class D DCS radios. Installation is a breeze. I think it is a no-brainer for anyone installing a new VHF.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-24-2013
Hinterhoeller HR28

pvanv1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowinstink View Post

Yep. And no independent AIS antenna needed. And no extras needed, aside from a GPS connection. Works, works well, and is cheap and reliable. On the Great Lakes, we are mostly concerned about freighters... and they all must run AIS by law. 'Nuff said.
TakeFive likes this.
Buffalo, NY USA
Old 03-24-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

To me, it seems like RobGallagher has thought this through, and understands the limitations of the GX2150. I don't mean to speak for him, but IIRC, I believe that Maine Sail has this unit, and loves it. I strongly prefer a transceiver to the GX2150, which is a receive only unit. However, since Rob has thought this through, I suggest that he go ahead and get it.

While I agree that AIS and Radar are a great combination, that will make you safeR, even that combination will not make you immune from allisions with vessels that do not obey the rules, or the various bits of flotsam that I have seen (logs, pilings or telephone poles, floating 55 gallon drums, lobster pots... - and while I have never seen one, I have read numerous reports of containers). Nothing replaces keeping a good watch. Period.

In my case, I don't have the battery banks to support radar operation (or an autopilot) on my vessel, so I would also forgo Radar. I will add an AIS transceiver at some point in time, because it uses a little more power, and provides two way visibility (you guys with the GX2150 will be able to see me, even though you can't see each other).

Each of these technologies provide an incremental aid in avoiding collisions/allisions, and each mariner has to decide if the increase is worth it to him/her. You pays your money, and takes your chances...

Fair winds!
chef2sail and TakeFive like this.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Last edited by eherlihy; 03-24-2013 at 05:40 PM. Reason: clarity..
Old 03-24-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Have one, with the RAM Mic, can't and won't talk you out of it.

Hooked up to my Raymarine e7d chartplotter/MFD, took some head scratching but works just fine.
Old 03-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
To me, it seems like RobGallagher has thought this through, and understands the limitations of the GX2150. I don't mean to speak for him, but IIRC, I believe that Maine Sail has this unit, and loves it. I strongly prefer a transceiver to the GX2150, which is a receive only unit. I suggest that you go ahead and get it.

While I agree that AIS and Radar are a great combination, that will make you safeR, even that combination will not make you immune from allisions with vessels that do not obey the rules, or the various bits of flotsam that I have seen (logs, pilings or telephone poles, floating 55 gallon drums, lobster pots... - and while I have never seen one, I have read numerous reports of containers). Nothing replaces keeping a good watch. Period.

In my case, I don't have the battery banks to support radar operation (or an autopilot) on my vessel, so I would also forgo Radar. I will add an AIS transceiver at some point in time, because it uses a little more power, and provides two way visibility (you guys with the GX2150 will be able to see me, even though you can't see each other).

Each of these technologies provide an incremental aid in avoiding collisions/allisions, and each mariner has to decide if the increase is worth it to him/her. You pays your money, and takes your chances...

Fair winds!
Also understand I have the Standard Horizon GX2150...but some on here look at it as more than it is, thats what my comments are about.

Whats business do you have in the channel bothering freighters with your small talk unless you are wounded or cant get out of their way.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.