Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Standard Horizon Matrix AIS+ GX2150

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
Have one, with the RAM Mic, can't and won't talk you out of it.

Hooked up to my Raymarine e7d chartplotter/MFD, took some head scratching but works just fine.
Ha...you head scratch...no way. I hve it hooked up to a Raymarine c90w and digital radar. In addition I have a seperate AIS unit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvanv1 View Post
Yep. And no independent AIS antenna needed. And no extras needed, aside from a GPS connection. Works, works well, and is cheap and reliable. On the Great Lakes, we are mostly concerned about freighters... and they all must run AIS by law. 'Nuff said.
Hohw do you get your GPS connect. What does that cost. How large a percentage of the boat traffic on the great lakes near you are freighters?

Look at a radar screen and then and AIS screen. Bet its about 5%....enough said.

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-24-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Dave,

I did not realize that you have the GX2150. If AIS is such a worthless "ganish" and "window dressing," and is a waste of money, why do you have two of them?

I am curious, since you have a "real AIS" to compare your GX2150 to. Comparing the two, do you see differences in the range of detection (I've seen as far as 30nm on mine), or accuracy of the targets? Because everything I have seen is that the GX2150 is a "real" AIS receiver, just as good as any other when properly installed.

I have never heard anyone else so negative on AIS before, and it's very ironic that you have two of them despite this. Yes, AIS does not detect some vessels, buoys, and other features that radar detects, and those limitations are well known by the users. But it does detect some things that radar doesn't, such as vessel names, MMSI, and virtual navaids (where they are available). It's all good, and having either AIS or radar is better than having neither. On a small vessel with limited battery capacity, no nav station, and limited cockpit space, and AIS that comes integrated with a radio might just strike the right balance between simplicity and safety.

FWIW, you may have bought the wrong Standard Horizon radio. For someone with an AIS transponder, the GX2000 might be more appropriate.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 03-24-2013
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

Well, I done did it. Went to Defender and talked to the sales Rep, very helpful and it will link to my Garmin or my Lowrance.

I'm happy with the price, under 300 after rebate.

My other option was to get a standard fixed mount VHF. This isn't the full monty electronics package I've always dreamed of but it will have to do for now.

Thanks to everyone for your feedback. I'll let you know how I like it
TakeFive likes this.
Old 03-24-2013

I had the SH VHFGX2150 with AIS before the lightening strike last year. It always had major problems interfacing with the old C80 chartplotter. I also realized that it was really gimmick by itself in that yes it did provide the AIS information, but was located below and the screen was so small oit wasnt worth it, besides having it didnt really give me a true picture of all the vessels around me///in fact it gave me very few. Thats where I beleive its like a false sense of security and youd be better off running the radar. Radar was able to show many things. I now have a basic Simrad RS25 VHF with DISC.

After the lightening strike the insurance replaced the CP and Radar and VHF I had with digital radar which was even better and also an intergrated Raymarine AIS which superimposed the AIS on the radar. Again this only served to verify that most the apropriate targets I needed to know were not AIS ones. I have it one, but really AIS is more fow use in high shipping zones and for big ships. The application for the everyday sailor IMHO is great informational value but not much more than that.

Understand I am not against AIS at all. Just think that a AIS without radar is like almost useless. And this whole argument about talking to freighters etc is something I dont do and have been sailing around them and in their midst for many years. If I was in the open oceam maybe it would be different if I was on a collision course. I would never pay extra for it again in a VHF receiver, I find the radar more helpful in the bigger picture.

I guess if you don't want to spring for radar, want to integrate AiS into a Chartplotter and want to at least see some of the vessels that's a good enough reason to get it. Just understand what it's limitations are. It's not a radar substitute. It's just a smattering of more information. How the average sailor will use that is beyond me. I have found AIS vessels on my normal Chartplotter really a distraction or a casual ok so that what it's name is over there. Again I can get the same info with Boat Beacon and not clutter up the CP.

I mean really cares what the name of the vessel is and where its traveling. I can find that out for free. I dont have to as Its displayed on my CP with the AIS but realy now...I have never used it. A far as a safety feature if you are that close to a big ship what do you ask it? its intentiions? isnt that obvious? doesnt your radar show you its course? I dont want to bother them with VHF communications. Is that what you do? Do you talk to the ships since you have their information? What do you really do with it in actuallity since you had it for a while? You have mentioned that you need to know about the ships on the Delaware. What are you doing sailing in the main shipping channel? You have alludd to that on numerous posts. You dont have to do that. Yes you will have to cross and tack. so look both ways, dont go down below to track him on you 1 inch VHF. screen. My AIS will work on whatever range my radar is set to. My max is a 48 nm mile

Like I said in the beginning I didnt think many would agree with my thoughts and certainly not any of the information tech junkies as its more information that is unecessary for many IMHO.

Having had the VHF and having the integrated AIS i find its uses are almost nonexhistant for me. The radar is far more informative./

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Last edited by chef2sail; 03-24-2013 at 10:08 PM.
Old 03-24-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

OK, Dave, now I understand your situation better and understand that by having radar and AIS overlaid on the same display, you're just saying that you get more info off of radar. That's a useful opinion, and although I don't believe it proves that AIS is a waste of money, it's your opinion and you have a right to it.

I do not "sail in the channel." But recognize that there are sections where the channel is almost the whole width of the river, and a couple sections where there are shallows outside the channel, and other sections that are not channel, but have bulkheads with tankers docking and undocking. So there is almost no place to sail where you don't have to be on guard for encountering a vessel. And crossing the channel, like crossing the street, can be done safely and frequently.

The good news is that there aren't that many vessels. I've had days when I could use the full width of the river for several hours and not encounter a freighter, tanker, or barge. If I look at the AIS target list and there's no stand on vessel moving toward me for 20 miles, I can cross the channel as much as I want - and I do, since it can make the difference between tacking every 15-30 minutes and tacking every 5 minutes.

But there are ALWAYS 4-5 large vessels on the horizon, and knowing that they are anchored definitely enhances safety. Before I had AIS I didn't know, and would constantly be looking over my shoulder. And you may think that's a good thing, but when you're looking over your shoulder you're not looking ahead, which is where most of the hazard lies.

I do not talk to freighters, except for one time where one was making an odd turn out of the channel toward a bulkhead, and I called to ensure his intentions so I could be sure to steer around him. He seemed appreciative that I detoured all the way across the river to stay out of his way.

While I agree that contacting the large ships should be done infrequently, if you really need to talk to them it's good to know that hailing them by name virtually guarantees a response since USCG is monitoring everything.

So AIS is a big plus where I am, since the channel totally dominates the topography of the river. YMMV.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 03-25-2013

BarryL is on a distinguished road

Hey,

I have the GX2100 (previous mode) and also sail the LI Sound. The unit is a good radio and the AIS feature is OK. I think the best comment was something like "if you're going to buy a new VHF you might as well get the model that can receive AIS information."

For me, most of my boating is during daylight and good conditions. Most of my boating is in a fairy open area of the LIS with little traffic. However, I do like to sail at night and there are ferries that run all the time between Port Jeff and Bridgeport. I can easily see the ferrys (they are really lit up) but having the AIS information, including course, speed, direction, CPA, TCPA, etc. is useful. If it costs and extra $500 for the AIS feature I wold not have bothered, but for $100 extra it is worth it.

The good news:
-The radio and AIS seems to work well and it does what it advertises.
-the display works like a repeater so in the main cabin I have SOG, COG, LAT/LONG, etc.

The bad news is:
-The screen is small
-AIS targets are not identified by name, just by MMSI number (at least on the GX2100). I have interfaced the radio to my laptop running seaclear and seaclear does display the vessel name
-On the LIS, the ferries and tankers/barges do have AIS. However, the fishing boats (including charter boats) do not.
-I have tried to hail the ferries on multiple occasions on a AIS channel and they always ignore me. I haven't tried hailing them on 16, maybe that would work better.

Barry
RobGallagher likes this.

Old 03-25-2013
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road

It was time for me to upgrade vHf last year and I went with the GX 2150 with RAM. I don't regret it at all. It was an easy install, the process to connect to my chartplotter was much simpler than I anticipated and I have been very pleased with the results.

I am sure that radar would be better but wasn't in the cards for my situation. Maybe soon I will add radar, but in the mean time I think you will be pleased with the GX 2150.
Old 03-25-2013

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

Here in SF bay I have two principle worries : large ships (container vessels, dry bulk, tugs, barges, etc) and fast moving ferries (there's one that cruises at 40 kts).

The AIS picks up 100% of these targets. Sailboats, fishing boats, and other small boats I can deal with.
Old 03-25-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
Here in SF bay I have two principle worries : large ships (container vessels, dry bulk, tugs, barges, etc) and fast moving ferries (there's one that cruises at 40 kts).

The AIS picks up 100% of these targets. Sailboats, fishing boats, and other small boats I can deal with.
It also puts a name on it, and alarms at a set closest point of approach - all without monitoring nor having to interpret a radar screen (i.e. it is almost stupid proof).