Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-09-2013
But if not...

paperbird is on a distinguished road
Ram mic mounting location??

I purchased a Standard Horizon 2150 to mount at the navstation with a Ram mic for the cockpit. Now I'm pondering where to mount the Ram mic.

Given our center cockpit configuration, the obvious location seemed to be on the steering pedestal. That seems to present 2 challenges, both regarding the cable run. First, I'm not sure I like running the mic cable up the inside of the pedestal where it could be rubbed and cut by the steering cables. 2) I'm not a huge fan of drilling big holes in the pedestal.

Other locations I've considered, with my concerns for each.

The aft end of the cockpit. Right where my legs go when sitting at the helm. And out of reach when on autopilot sitting in front of the helm.

The coaming by the companionway. Out of reach of the helm.

A cockpit cuddy. out of the way, but we stuff all sorts of things in there while sailing.

The cockpit floor next to the pedestal. The coiled cord on the ram mic is too short to reach to a standing height.:banghead:

Where have others mounted them? Any suggestions?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-09-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Re: Ram mic mounting location??

I've got the same deal on my Irwin 38 CC - I did in fact run mine up the pedestal. all of the wires running up (Raymarine network stuff, power, sonar, ram mic) are enclosed in a black plastic 'hose' - the corrugated slit stuff you can get at any automotive store or WM if you are desperate to overspend.

All your 'moving' parts should be your chain and cable for the steering - you can tie wrap the single (mine is 1.5 inches) hose to the side. Mount wood strips to screw into if needed.

For me, being right handed my Ram will be mounted on the left of my Navpod (a huge one), that frees my right hand for steering, poking at the chartplotter etc..
I simply made the hole and put the mount plate on the side of pod.
Old 04-09-2013
But if not...

That might work. Have you noticed any compass effect from having the mic on the pod?
Old 04-09-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Actually not yet.

I have to admit I'm still configuring and wiring. I just got the boat 23 March 13, and I've had a few mis-steps in raymarine network configurations and the new pedestal guard.

I noted the compass heading when I docked the boat at my home prior to any changes. I will be doing a full check and deviation swing once I'm fully configured and powered up. I also have a very accurate hand bearing compass as a check. If I need to I will hire a professional to tune.
Old 04-09-2013
But if not...

Chuckles,

fyi - I have a write-up and table I use to swing our compass occasionally. My personal preference is to use the sun rather than a second compass - I always have a nagging bit of doubt about 2 compasses, 2 deviation tables, etc.

Anyway, this procedure uses simple sun shadows and only takes a few minutes.

I'll insert the text here since I can't seem to upload a Word file. No promises about how the formatting will turn out. If you'd like the Word file, just let me know where to send it (or point me in the right direction for uploading.)

Thanks

Build a Sun compass

❑ Glue a compass rose cut from a chart or SAPS sheet to a block of wood
❑ Drill a hole through the center of the compass rose into the block of wood to support a poultry skewer, long thin pin, brad or similar.

Swing the compass

NOTES:
- all courses should be completed within 5 minutes to limit the effects of the changing location of the sun.
- longest shadows will be early or late in the day

❑ Site the compass rose for the least interference from shadows and where it can be read with ease. Align the 0 (North) of the compass rose with the bow (not necessary, but simpler)
❑ Steer the compass course indicated. When the course is steady, note the bearing of the shadow on the compass rose. Repeat for each compass course in the table.
❑ Record all solar shadow bearings in the deviation table.
❑ Add course (col A) + Solar Shadow Bearing (col B). If greater than 360, subtract 360 from the sum. Record Sum in column C.
❑ Calculate average Sum (Total Column C divided by number of observations recorded, not total # of rows). Record in each row of Column D.
❑ Calculate Deviation for each course. Deviation = average sum – sum. If average sum > sum, deviation is east. Record in Column E.
❑ If possible, complete 2 or 3 runs and average the deviations obtained. If some headings were obscured by shadows, steer headings as close as possible.
❑ Graph the resulting deviation. If the majority of deviations fall either east or west, consider turning the compass in the binnacle slightly to compensate.

Deviation Table (example)

A B C D E
Comp Course Solar Shadow Sum (A+B) Avg Sum Dev
000 290 290 292 2E
030 260 290 292 2E
060 233 293 292 1W
090 192 292 292 0
120 173 293 292 1W
150 145 295 292 3W
180 114 294 292 2W
210 085 295 292 3W
240 052 292 292 0
270 022 292 292 0
300 351 291 292 1E
330 320 290 292 2E
average 292
Old 04-09-2013

Very cool, I see you are serious on this.
I'm a hacker at 'old fashioned' navigation. I used to be qualified for celestial navigation (about a life time ago) but I've fallen on hard times with electronics eating my brain. My limit now is about what you can expect from "The Barefoot Navigator" by Jack Lagan.
Old 04-09-2013

Dog Ship is on a distinguished road

I just got a new vhf and ram for my birthday and I have the same problem.
I have found a nice little box that fits between the guard rails of the pedestal.
I am going to run a conduit of some kind from about half way up the pedestal to this box which will sit tucked away neatly behind the plotter in between the guard rails. This will give me a junction box for a windlass switch, the ram, and a few other things.
I am not too concerned about the compass as I have 5 other individual compasses of various kinds on board.
No slobbering on the charts.
Old 04-10-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Up through the pedestal. It took some doing but it is in the most convenient spot. I have wiring for the chart plotter and video feed in there too, inside an abrasion guard sleeve. One large Garmin grommet is the exit for 4 wires. A section of plastic wire loom contains them op to the mounts.

Down
Old 04-10-2013
But if not...

Sounds like the consensus opinion is to run the cables up the pedestal, encased in a sleeve (make it big enough for the future chartplotter and radar cables).

I previously built a small mount for the autopilot on-off cable and mounted it on the pedestal. Guess I can build another one and mount it on the opposite side. Symmetry!

I like the idea of making the mount a box and providing an additional disconnect plug for the chartplotter. Will have to think that one through a little more.

Thanks for the input.
Old 04-10-2013

DoubleEnder is on a distinguished road

I was trying to decide the same thing. Where to mount it. But now I just keep it in the locker under my port winch with about 5 feet of cord so that I can use it anywhere I sit in the cockpit keeping an eye on the AIS. Seems to work for me.