Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-19-2013

mainemandean is on a distinguished road
Red face Connecting Raymarine SeaTalk NG parts

This is an edited post. Initially it was me bitching about SeaTalk cable connections.

Problem solved.

Cause of Problem: Stupidity of Skipper (me).

What I thought was the open position on the collar was the closed, and vice versa. (The one I did successfully connect to begin with was a result of blind luck, because I had it arse-backwards.)

So I wanted to no longer malign Raymarine, and I apologize to them. And if you are looking for a fool, I'm your guy.

At least I went on the World Wide Web to let everyone know I'm an idiot!

Last edited by mainemandean; 04-19-2013 at 06:28 PM. Reason: I was stupid.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2013

jsaronson is on a distinguished road
Re: Connecting Raymarine SeaTalk NG parts

Seatalk NG is NMEA 2000 with different size connectors. On the 5 way block you should be able to insert the wire and turn the blue or white collar.
Old 04-19-2013

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

Both Seatalk NG and Simnet address an issue with normal NMEA 2000 connectors - the collar is quite big and makes the cables hard to route through tight spaces. In comparison, the proprietary ones are a dream to route.

Sorry you're having trouble with the connectors. Maybe a squirt with WD40 would help the collar to turn nicely? Unfortunately, you don't say precisely WHAT the problem you are having IS, so it's hard to help.
Old 04-19-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

I've never had a problem connecting mine, color for color, white in white, blue in blue.
If it's not a simple 'stick it in' you got something wrong or a defective part.
Old 04-19-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Make sure that you are inserting the cable the right way. It can start to go in at two different orientations, but only one will work (there is a key and keyway).

I haven't had any trouble beyond that. The locking rings on my P70 control head are a lot stiffer than the locking rings on my 5-way connectors.

I cheated and powered my Seatalk NG network off of the X5 course computer by adding a 5 amp fuse between the X5 power and the Seatalk power wires. This isn't ideal if you have a large Seatalk NG network, but should work fine on my small one. Mostly it saved me from having to find a backbone cable on a Sunday morning to connect all 3 of my devices.

Seatalk NG doesn't only solve the smaller cable size, it also makes all cables female. The differentiation between backbone and spur cables is stupid, but otherwise I think it is a pretty good system.
Old 04-19-2013

Hey guys,

I really appreciate all the feedback.

Here's my situation. I took the first one (course computer to T; spur, white), saw the key and keyway, inserted the cable into the T, pushed it all the way in, turned the collar. Done.

But none the other ones will physically go in. I cannot push the cable end (or terminator) into the T far enough to turn the collar. At one point in my efforts, the collar came off, so while it was off, I made sure that the cable would go in if the collar was missing. It does. I even tried putting the collar on after a terminator was plugged in, but no dice. I cannot figure out what is different with the one connection from the others. I am virtually certain that I am going about them all exactly the same way.

My wife and co-skipper (with a good eye for detail) just got home,and I am going to let her take a run at it.

Would anyone think it wise to try some grease, and if so, what kind? I have some dielectric silicone. But I'm afraid of grease getting in the tiny female holes.

It is stupefying. When I first got the controller, a fellow sailor was here, and he is an old electronics hand (and an electric engineer). He also could not get a spur cable to seat and connect properly on the back of the controller.

I have almost destroyed one of my terminators now, trying to get it on.

Dean
Old 04-19-2013

Problem solved.

Cause of Problem: Stupidity of Skipper (me).

What I thought was the open position on the collar was the closed, and vice versa. (The one I did successfully connect to begin with was a result of blind luck, because I had it arse-backwards.)

So I want to no longer malign Raymarine, and I apologize to them. I did above also. If you are looking for a fool, I'm your guy.

Thanks for your willingness to help.