Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: Weather Fax

Thanks to you all but especially you Dave.

Cameron, in regard to ongoing cost that seems to depend on whether or not you sign up with a specific weather guru.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 04-23-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-24-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

No ongoing costs.

See http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/marine/rfax.pdf for worldwide broadcasts.
jameswilson29 likes this.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-25-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Dave ,

Could you repost your directions for tuning in the radio and setting up the computer to receive the weather fax. I can't find your directions. From before.

Thanks

Dave

QUOTE=SVAuspicious;1020518]Warning: I am a weather geek. Lee Chesneau, Frank Bohlen, and Frank Singleton are friends.

Weather fax is my primary source of weather information. On Auspicious I have an Icom M802 SSB, Pactor PTC-IIpro, and Airmail/Viewfax on my boat computer. On delivery I use a Kaito KA-1103 shortwave radio and JVCOMM32 on my laptop; assuming you have a laptop the latter set up is around $200US.

Correct as far as it goes. You can get weather fax graphics or gribs over e-mail using either a satellite phone or HF radio. E-mail is fundamentally a one-to-one communications mechanism, so if you and five other boats near you want the same information it is sent six times. Consider what happens with tens or hundreds of boats in a region. Very poor efficiency and not good neighborliness.

Weather fax on the other hand is a one-to-many transmission, just like broadcast radio. One transmission that everyone receives in parallel.

The obvious question is what one gives up by using weather fax. The easy answer is: NOTHING. In fact you are better served even if you care not a wit for your neighbors. Weather fax transmits products based on a number of computer models considered by a meteorologist who adds value based on his or her expertise. Gribs come directly from a computer model (usually GFS) untouched by human hands. *Warning - geeky stuff* The GFS model in particular assumes a continuous second derivative over the barometric pressure surface. *end geeky stuff* What that means is that sharp changes in pressure like fronts don't show up on gribs. Now some met offices are working on ways to show weather features like fronts in gribs it isn't either reliable or generally available yet.

So you can use the tried and true weather fax products that show the best available forecast or choose gribs for a more expensive, less efficient, and less effective product.

At least in the US when the US Coast Guard floated the idea of terminating weather fax services there was an uproar from the commercial vessels and the recreational cruising community. Everyone was surprised at how many consumers there continue to be.[/QUOTE]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 04-26-2013

moinak is on a distinguished road

Anyone have experience with the Furuno nx300 paperless navtex? Not having an SSB it seems like a worthwhile investment. But in the product description it touts how it broadcasts weather warnings among other information. Weather warnings are great but if you already out there in it, it can be preaching to the choir! How about a forecast? Will it give weather forecast information, say 96 hours out?
Old 04-27-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Could you repost your directions for tuning in the radio and setting up the computer to receive the weather fax. I can't find your directions. From before.
rfax.pdf has guidance.

Geeky radio context: radiofacsimile is transmitted as frequency shift keying (FSK). Dedicated wefax receivers are FSK receivers. Those of us that use single sideband (SSB) (usually upper sideband (USB)) have to offset our tuned frequency from the transmit frequency in order to regenerate the tones for the fax demodulator.

What does that mean? Set your radio to USB (or SSB in shortwave radios like that Kaito KA1103) and tune 1900 Hz (1.9 kHz) down from the listed frequency. Everything just works from there.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 04-27-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by moinak View Post
Anyone have experience with the Furuno nx300 paperless navtex? Not having an SSB it seems like a worthwhile investment. But in the product description it touts how it broadcasts weather warnings among other information. Weather warnings are great but if you already out there in it, it can be preaching to the choir! How about a forecast? Will it give weather forecast information, say 96 hours out?

I don't have any experience with Navtex (the network does not extend to Australia) but the FX-30 is both a paperless WF and Navtex unit. While I don't need the Navtex I'm pretty sure that this is what we will end up with. Simply downloads the WF into a puter and you can print from there if you wish.

Andrew B

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 08-21-2013

gerrycooper is on a distinguished road

No mention of the Xaxero USB Weather fax 2000. Uses the headphone socket of your SSB and plugs into the computer with a USB plug. Used it through the Caribbean and where poss in the Pacific. Backup was the Iridium phone with access to Maxsea weather data. (plus email proper)
Old 08-22-2013

redline is on a distinguished road

While just playing around, I installed HF Weather Fax from Black Cat Systems on my iPad. Expecting to have to make a cable from my Icom M802 headphone jack to the iPad (as an electrical engineer, I didn't expect it to be much effort), I was surprised to find that no only does it work by simply placing the iPad near the Icom speaker, it gave me perfectly clear weather maps right from the start. Not bad for a free app and zero hookup!

I would definitely do something more serious for a real cruise, but for those interested in learning more, or as a backup, it's hard to beat.
Old 08-23-2013

gerrycooper is on a distinguished road

JVCOMM32 is about $88 for the full program now, while Xaxero WeatherFax2000 sound card edition is $89.
Old 08-23-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrycooper View Post
....Uses the headphone socket of your SSB and plugs into the computer with a USB plug......
I still don't get why this isn't available to plug into an iPad port, so that a one-button app could read and display it. Apps that display gribs files are plentiful. I'm not a tech guy, but it seems it just shouldn't be all that cutting edge.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.