Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Weather Fax

The Womboat has/had a Furono weather fax as per link below (408) which was fried during our recent lightning strike.

I'm still trying to work out its replacement.

First up, who of you have a Weather Fax and if so what type ?

Rather than a WF with built in printer would not the second option (Fax-30) which interfaces with a separate computer and any printout is by plain paper printer be preferable in this day and age ?

Any thoughts and/or advice would be must appreciated.

Products:Weather Fax | Marine Equipment For Recreational Boats | Business Fields & Product List | FURUNO's Product Site

Andrew B

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-22-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Weather Fax

I must admit, I'm kinda surprised Weather Fax services are still available - but having said that, given that you have a perfectly good (?) laptop sitting on the chart table, I'd have thought the Fax-30 would be the go.

The traditional printing variety does take up a lot of otherwise useful space - and that looks like a good little unit.
Old 04-22-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Hi Mr C.

My knowledge of this area is scant to say the least but it would appear that WeatherFAX is something of a misnomer. In fact (and I stand ready to be corrected) I think that they are today nothing more than a device that receives graphic information through either a Satellite phone or HF radio. The Oz BOM offer weather maps by HF as do I believe the privately run weather services.

It seems to me that a cruising sailboat might need to access a weather map once maybe twice a day while a hard copy would not necessarily be required.

Andrew B

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 04-22-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
It seems to me that a cruising sailboat might need to access a weather map once maybe twice a day while a hard copy would not necessarily be required.
Quite true, Mr B - although I did think most sailors downloaded GRIB files to their laptops in this the 21st century..

In buying something like this I'd be wondering how much longer the Weatherfax service would be available. To this, I simply do not know - but here's something that might help:

Where to get Weather Forecasts

Last edited by Classic30; 04-23-2013 at 12:04 AM.
Old 04-23-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

We have a pactor modem and small tablet computer to download grib files off the SSB. It always gives me a serious headache. Perhaps it's because I don't do it very often, perhaps it's because its like starting a fire by rubbing two sticks together! Unnecessarily complicated for the 21st century.

Because we are mostly coastal, I get virtually all my weather via 3G cell service over the iPad. Not sure if that is available where you are, but the iPad apps are ridiculously simple to use and very robust with data. I use both Weather Track (for more traditional grib type data) and SailFlow for finer coastal wind info. I believe they are both worldwide. I also access our US Weather Buoy data in an app and can access every internet based weather website. I even have a weather radar app, which comes in handy for thunderstorms in the summer here.

One would think that an app could be written and a cable made to connect an iPad to a Pactor and have a simple app that took it from there.
chef2sail likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-23-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

I'm also unsure as to the state of the art when it comes to this stuff. Again as with Minne because most of our sailing is coastal we are rarely out of cell phone range but it is for those times when we will be out of contact that I'm thinking SSB downloading of weather info is still relevent.

Andrew B

Old 04-23-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Quote:
I'm also unsure as to the state of the art when it comes to this stuff. Again as with Minne because most of our sailing is coastal we are rarely out of cell phone range but it is for those times when we will be out of contact that I'm thinking SSB downloading of weather info is still relevent.
Andrew, most people I've asked connect a Pactor modem to their laptop and subscribe to an email service (Sailmail, etc.) downloading GRIB files from there - but if you aren't likely to be doing lengthy out-of-range cruises, perhaps the Fax-30 gadget (giving you the ability to receive what you want for free) is most likely the best option for the Womboat.

Methinks it simply comes down to cost & complexity. Subscription-based services give you weather data, email and more - but maybe that isn't what you want? How do the $$ play out??
Old 04-23-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Warning: I am a weather geek. Lee Chesneau, Frank Bohlen, and Frank Singleton are friends.

Quote:
First up, who of you have a Weather Fax and if so what type ?
Weather fax is my primary source of weather information. On Auspicious I have an Icom M802 SSB, Pactor PTC-IIpro, and Airmail/Viewfax on my boat computer. On delivery I use a Kaito KA-1103 shortwave radio and JVCOMM32 on my laptop; assuming you have a laptop the latter set up is around $200US.

Quote:
Hi Mr C.

My knowledge of this area is scant to say the least but it would appear that WeatherFAX is something of a misnomer. In fact (and I stand ready to be corrected) I think that they are today nothing more than a device that receives graphic information through either a Satellite phone or HF radio.
Correct as far as it goes. You can get weather fax graphics or gribs over e-mail using either a satellite phone or HF radio. E-mail is fundamentally a one-to-one communications mechanism, so if you and five other boats near you want the same information it is sent six times. Consider what happens with tens or hundreds of boats in a region. Very poor efficiency and not good neighborliness.

Weather fax on the other hand is a one-to-many transmission, just like broadcast radio. One transmission that everyone receives in parallel.

The obvious question is what one gives up by using weather fax. The easy answer is: NOTHING. In fact you are better served even if you care not a wit for your neighbors. Weather fax transmits products based on a number of computer models considered by a meteorologist who adds value based on his or her expertise. Gribs come directly from a computer model (usually GFS) untouched by human hands. *Warning - geeky stuff* The GFS model in particular assumes a continuous second derivative over the barometric pressure surface. *end geeky stuff* What that means is that sharp changes in pressure like fronts don't show up on gribs. Now some met offices are working on ways to show weather features like fronts in gribs it isn't either reliable or generally available yet.

So you can use the tried and true weather fax products that show the best available forecast or choose gribs for a more expensive, less efficient, and less effective product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley18 View Post
Quite true, Mr B - although I did think most sailors downloaded GRIB files to their laptops in this the 21st century..

In buying something like this I'd be wondering how much longer the Weatherfax service would be available. To this, I simply do not know - but here's something that might help:
At least in the US when the US Coast Guard floated the idea of terminating weather fax services there was an uproar from the commercial vessels and the recreational cruising community. Everyone was surprised at how many consumers there continue to be.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by SVAuspicious; 04-24-2013 at 08:02 AM. Reason: fixed arithmetic
Old 04-23-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

C ... I don't think it is free. i believe you still need to subscribe to the service.

Old 04-23-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Quote:
C ... I don't think it is free. i believe you still need to subscribe to the service.
Looks to me like the BOM fax service (Charleville or Willuna) is free..

VMC: Southwards from 10N, 70E - 150W
Frequency kHz Broadcast (UTC)
2628 (0900-1900)
5100 (0000-2400)
11030 (0000-2400)
13920 (0000-2400)
20469 (1900-0900)

www.bom.gov.au / marine / radio-sat / vmc-technical-guide.shtml

From what SVA says, it sounds like Weatherfax is still the way to go. Good to know.

Last edited by Classic30; 04-23-2013 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Can't insert a proper link - the forum software automatically scrambles it!!