Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-12-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Fluxgate compass and the st4000 Wheel "HELP"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltgoshen View Post
I asked the wrong question.
Can I dile in the fluxgate compass usint the control head for the st4000?
Or what is the the 3 circle procedure for this process? It is the first time I have tried to use the auto helm st4000. When I put it on auto it holds the course just fine its just reading like 209 degrees when the boat is tied up at the dock at like meg 340 degrees?
Can I do a large dile in then swing the the boat for deveation?>

Has your vessels compass every been professionally swung to know it is accurate? Did you do your calibration circles and have it take..? Do you have any ferrous metal objects close to the flux gate? Pots, pans, tool bags, speakers etc. etc..

Even when you get it swung and calibrated they are rarely if every spot on with the ships compass but you can get them darn close.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-13-2013
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Has your vessels compass every been professionally swung to know it is accurate?
Not that I kow of. How you I have had? How much would it cost to have somthing like that done? is it somthing I can do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Did you do your calibration circles and have it take..? Do you have any ferrous metal objects close to the flux gate? Pots, pans, tool bags, speakers etc. etc..
No! I did not do my calibration circles. I had to do a repair "well" I had to exchange my mooring ball on my storm anchor it was sinking and not holding up the chain. I hope to get the circle calaberation done as soon as possable.

My bigest problem right now is that both the compass and the Flux-gate are only 25 Degreese off of each other but are both heading in the wrong direction?
With 360 being north and 180 being south: its just reading like 209 degrees when the boat is tied up at the dock at like meg 340 degrees?
Old 05-18-2013

tibtib is on a distinguished road

I would try and find out if there is something magnetic onboard that is causing your problems. Bring a handheld compass aboard and take readings in different locations (including near but not right next to the boat's compass and fluxgate sensor). You can use a the handheld compass to "hunt" for a source of magnetic interference. If the handheld readings are ok everywhere, then I would suggest that you troubleshoot the problems separately. You can "swing" the main compass yourself and at least get it to be somewhat accurate - Google can help you find specific instructions for your unit. The fluxgate should be tested as per http://www.raymarine.co.uk/knowledge....cfm?view=3798 to make sure it is working ok.