Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2013

fjcruiser is on a distinguished road
wireless vs wired

I am buying a used Archambault Surprise which does not come with any instruments except a compass. I will be doing day sailing and entering club races. The boat draft is 1.60m so I thought a depth sounder may be useful. I am wondering if I should go for a wireless system like the Tacktick by Raymarine (Depth,Speed and Wind for eg) or a wired system (Raymarine, Simrad,Nexus). What are the pros and cons of wireless vs wired. I live in Dubai so it is hot to very hot at least 9 months of the year, so I need something quite sturdy if it is going to be fixed outside the cockpit.

Thanks for your help and suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-22-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Re: wireless vs wired

If there are no instruments installed as you mention, I would say a wireless system such as Tack Tick (now owned by Raymarine) is the way to go. The installation is very easy, especially the mast head wind instrument as it does not need a wire down the mast obviously. The Depth & Speed are hard wired to the transmitter but the instrument heads are wireless so mounting them is as easy as hanging a picture.

The cost is slightly higher for TT than wired units of similar capabilities but you will save some $$ on wire and installation cost if you were to have someone do it.

I have been very pleased with my Tack Tick T104 system. There is one anchorage where the mast head go out for a brief period, there must be some type of disruption to the signal there, weird. The solar charge on the head unit will keep them going 24/7 even with overcast skies and use of the light at night. My most extended use of them was about a 2 week cruise in which I never turned them off and the battery meter never went below half, with several days of overcast skies.

The TT also should integrate well with other electronics and the TT offers a wide variety of screens that when connected to a GPS can provide allot more info, ha, just the other day I found a setting that will tell me the date & time Still learning how to use them. The Wind Unit has a nice feature for close hauled sailing which I think is unique to TT and useful for racers.

Maine Sail has posted that he has observed the TT units to be troublesome, you may want to PM him for some more information, he will certainly not recommend them.

Another drawback of the wireless, someday I am going to have to replace the batteries. TT said about 7 years, so I have about 4 more to go I suppose. I may find that the cost to replace the batteries is not worth it, dunno, we shall see.

As mentioned, considering you have no instruments installed, you live where I am guessing solar would operate well, I would really consider wireless, Tack Tick or others.

Good luck, PM me if you have anymore questions

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to T37Chef For This Useful Post:
fjcruiser (05-22-2013)
Old 05-23-2013
Remember you're a womble

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

Wired is going to take you longer to install, but personally, I just don't really trust any sort of wireless connection. You know that the signal is going to disappear just when you need it most, and a wireless signal is practically impossible to troubleshoot. At least with a wire you can perform basic checks such as continuity etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to PaulinVictoria For This Useful Post:
fjcruiser (05-23-2013)
Old 05-23-2013

In terms of costs, wired is cheaper on parts and labour in Dubai is cheap in comparison so I am tempted by having a wired system. I am just concerned by corrosion as our waters are very salty in comparison to Europe. I would say it is twice as salty as the Mediterranean Sea.How often would you have to rewire your sailboat ?
Old 05-23-2013
Remember you're a womble

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

Well you shouldn't be getting too much in the way of salt water anywhere near the cabling so it shouldn't matter. Try to keep the water on the outside

The Following User Says Thank You to PaulinVictoria For This Useful Post:
fjcruiser (05-23-2013)
Old 05-23-2013

PAUL., I suppose you're still using a phone with a cord? no remote for your TV? no radio? LOL. Just sayin

Old 05-23-2013

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

On our current boat we inherited a 10+ year old TT system (wind, speedo/depth). I've been very pleased with it, and I expect the current versions are even better. The only issue I've run into is battery replacement -- had to send a unit back to TT, but perhaps things have changed now.

The only other issue I've read about is the limitations on mast hight with regard to the windy. There is a maximum transmission distance that you can't exceed. Other than that, no problems. I would go with another TT system in the future.

P.S. I'm not sure how a wired system could be cheaper in labour. Almost by definition, the wireless is going to be easier to install ... no?
Old 05-23-2013

I have been quoted a fee of $400 for installation.I need to see if I can get a discount on this.
Old 05-23-2013

You can do it yourself pretty easily...even if someone just puts the windy on top for you it will only take 30 minutes of labor.

Old 05-23-2013

JohnnyChristo is on a distinguished road

Hi if u rewire I recommend the wire integrated with tin it won't rot! Also if its steel never have a common earth. Personally I'm for wireless and includes navigation at a PC below decks that communicates with an iPad in the cockpit. Good luck.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.