Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance > Electronics
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sww914

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2013
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road
Have You Ever Been Cited For Any Radio Violation?

A VHF specific thread on CF brought this to mind. If you talk to HAMs they'll all tell you that you will be cited for various things if you break the rules. I'm not advocating breaking the rules here but I am curious. Have you or anyone that you know personally EVER been cited for ANYTHING?
When I was a kid there were several hams in our neighborhood and I was exposed to amateur radio. They went on and on about how the FCC would do bad things if you had illegal channels on your radio or if you put out too much power or if you failed to use your call sign or any number of other things.
Meanwhile there was a couple guys a few miles away broadcasting with so much power that we couldn't watch several TV channels while they were on the radio and it went on for years and years and they never stopped.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-28-2013
WindyCitySailor

tombesore is on a distinguished road
Re: Have You Ever Been Cited For Any Radio Violation?

No, I've never been cited nor do I know anyone personally who has been cited. However, the FCC is out there doing their job as you can see in this and other reports on the net.

FCC Announces Enforcement Actions for January-March 2013

It's easy to get a ham license today. No more Morse Code and the question pools for the exams are freely available. There's simply no reason to risk a criminal enforcement action and heavy fines!
Old 05-28-2013

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
Have you or anyone that you know personally EVER been cited for ANYTHING?
Myself, no. I do have first-hand knowledge of an acquaintance of mine who was cited for "broadcasting" on the ham frequencies. He was kind of a jerk, which is why I call him an "acquaintance" and not a "friend." Knew him from some ham club meetings and talking to him numerous times at ham fests.

He had an alcohol problem and when he was drunk he would get on the local VHF repeater and start singing, going on long rants about politics, talking about local news, and so on. He truly was just "broadcasting" and not talking with anyone. He was warned numerous times by local hams to stop. After enough complaints about him the FCC finally looked into it and ended up fining him and taking away his license.

So, yeah, it does happen.
Old 05-28-2013

Stu Jackson is on a distinguished road

I think the question was about VHF use, not ham.
Old 05-28-2013

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

Uh... Well, he did ask about being cited for "ANYTHING" and mentioned hams more than once in the post, so while the original posting that he talked about may have been specific to Marine VHF, I rather naturally assumed that in this thread he did not mean to limit it that way.
Old 05-28-2013
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road

I meant any radio violation at all. Any kind of radio. Even if somebody might have been caught broadcasting from a marine VHF on land, HAM, SSB, VHF, whatever.
rikhall likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-28-2013

timangiel is on a distinguished road

I hear people get verbally warned by the Coast Guard all the time for trying to carry on conversations on channel 16, but no, I have never heard of anyone actually being cited by the FCC. I suppose if you tried hard enough you could get yourself cited.
Old 05-28-2013
Senior Pirate

TropicCat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombesore View Post
No, I've never been cited nor do I know anyone personally who has been cited. However, the FCC is out there doing their job as you can see in this and other reports on the net.

FCC Announces Enforcement Actions for January-March 2013

It's easy to get a ham license today. No more Morse Code and the question pools for the exams are freely available. There's simply no reason to risk a criminal enforcement action and heavy fines!
Looks like everyone in Chicago, Dallas and Detroit better behave.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.