Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Endeavour
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
E-42

I have an Endeavour 42. Doing lots of minor upgrades. Hoping to exchange ideas and modifications here with other E-42 owners.

Thanks Brian

So far:

I've added a 17 gallon holding bladder for the aft head in a cavity near the aft, starboard side. Mounted it to the inside wall and ran the trident 101 hose up to the head behind the cabinets. I relocated the Y valve in the space behind the toilet, behind the panel there. Put an access door there. It had been in the cabinet below the sink but interfered with access to the thru-hulls there.

Mounted a new Garmin radar to the mast and a Garmin 3210 plotter to the pedistal guard with ram mounts. The GPS mushroom is on the stern rail.

Put a flatscreen TV on the bulkhead of the main salon port side. Removed the TV from the starboard cabinet top. Freed up some space.

Took one of the vent tubes on starboard side and added a blower motor. Ran that into the engine space near the alternator. Sucking hot air out of the engine room now.

Working on installing a PSS shaft seal. This will be the final step in keeping the deep bilge with the fuel tank totally dry. I ran a tube from under the forward water tank over to the upper bilge under the galley sink. That will get a bilge pump with float switch to pump out rain water from the mast. That is all I should be getting into the boat. A/C condensate from the forward A/C unit now goes overboard via a venturi that sucks it out of the drip pan into the A/C seawater discharge. I have a new fuel tank and plan on keeping it dry and lasting a very long time.

Wife did a superb job of sewing up a new sunbrella bimini. Also made first class cockpit cushions.

Last edited by xort; 10-14-2009 at 08:03 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-27-2010

CleverName is on a distinguished road
Hello Xort!

Thanks for your friendly PM! I don't have enough posts yet to reply via PM (I need 5 and this is only my 2nd) so I'll just thank you "in public".

My husband and I bought a 1988 Endeavor 42 CC last June, named Luana. We are living aboard and we love it. Her former owners were a dream come true and have been extremely valuable in information and advice since we bought her. She is in wonderful condition and has new fuel and water tanks, boom furling and other upgrades made by the previous owners.

Although we've been sailing together for a couple of years and I grew up sailing Sunfishes and crewing for my father, this is our first boat. So we are on the steep part of the learning curve. Oh, and three weeks after we moved aboard, we weathered the Son of Ida in the marina, without floating docks. No problems. We were happy on the boat and the only thing we could have wished for was a ladder (we now have one).

We installed two heat pumps to use for A/C and heating while docked. One is in the salon, under the starboard settee, and one is in the aft cabin, taking up part of the starboard locker. We are very happy with it except for the noise, which we will try to abate using some passive methods.

We are about to replace the console salon table with a fold-up table. Her former owners might consider this sacrilege but I really want to be able to open up the space. We are having Howdy Bailey and co. build the table, which will have a wine cabinet behind it and a small cocktail table under it, like the tables we saw on the Caliber 40s we saw. We will keep the old table intact. It's a beautiful table but I just really want to be able to open up a bit of space.

My husband has done various things to the boat and made some minor repairs. We have a new galvanic isolator, smoke and propane detectors, new blower, and a new stereo (the old one gave out. Happy to report that the new one passed the "Don't Get Fooled Again" test.).

She could really use some new canvas. This summer I may have some time off from working, and if that happens I am looking forward to getting a Sailrite and learning to make a whole bunch of stuff for both the exterior and interior.

We are having a problem with the depth sensor. It reads all dashes most or all of the time. It used to be intermittent when we slowed down coming back into the river and the dock (of course, right?), but now it just doesn't seem to be working. Jiggling the wires on or near the sensor didn't help. We think the problem might be a connection within the pedestal, which I guess could be more of a pain.

In case it wasn't obvious, my husband does most of the work. Although we are both engineers, we have a pretty traditional division of responsibilities aboard the boat (Captain/Admiral). I will be doing the diving though.

Looking forward to more discussions with fellow Endeavour owners.
Old 03-27-2010

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
We bought a sailrite and made new bimini & cockpit cushions (well, she did, I supervised). We found that the sailrite case won't fit in the lockers...too long. So we bought the machine without case and I made a base out of oak. Saved about 4" to 6" in length. Wife is making a cover for it right now. It will fit into the forward locker where shelves replaced hanging locker.

I put a rod in the forward shower to serve as a wet locker for rain gear, life jackets & wetsuit.
Since you have a new fuel tank you might want to keep that deep bilge dry so it doesn't sit in water. I plumbed a PVC tube from the area forward of the lower water tank over to the small pocket under the centerline galley sink. There is a bilge pump there that empties that small 'bilge'. Aft, I replaced the stuffing box with a PSS shaft seal. The stuffing box drips go directly onto the top of the fuel tank. So the forward tube diverts any rain water from the mast and that is all the water I get into the boat.

I took out the aft A/C to gain room. Our forward A/C is under the V-berth. I rigged a venturi to draw out the condensation water from that A/C. The venturi sucks the water from the drain pan via the draw from the A/C cooling water discharge. No condensate anywhere into the boat. I did add a shutoff valve to that discharge line for when underway.

Our headsail furler line ran down the port rail. The way it came up over the coaming was terrible. I ran the line right down the middle of the boat, just port of center. It passes over the forward head hatch thru a guide ring. We have holes in the front of the coaming to run lines to the cockpit, it runs right to the hole and to a rope clutch inside. Makes furling SIGNIFICANTLY easier vs the old way.

Removed the old battery box under the aft berth, lowered the platform and just installed 6 T-1275 Trojan batteries at 150 amps each. 900 amp house bank now.

Do you have a Perkins 4.154?
Old 04-13-2010

ADMTROX is on a distinguished road
I am sure that it must look fantastic.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.