Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Boat Builders Row > Endeavour
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2012

S/V Utopia is on a distinguished road
We have a whole list of things we are doing to our Endeavour 37 this winter--the biggest project--replacing all of the leaky portlights with bronze one's and the rotted wood with cedar. Other than that, we are getting a new mizzen, all new sail covers as well as putting in new refrigeration! We bought new cushions last year, however ran out of time before sailing season began to have them covered appropriately, so we are going to have that done as well. Quite a list here--it's going to take every weekend from here until spring arrives to get this accomplished!!

Amy
Utopia
37' Endeavour Owner

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-21-2012

bigdogandy is on a distinguished road
Utopia - I have a 1981 Endeavour 32, and one of my winter projects is replacing the leaky plastic Becksons with new units from Newfound Metals..... started the process last year but realized that if was going to take them all out I may as well replace the rotted plywood on the inside of the cabin trunk in the process. I haven't decide whether to use teak veneer plywood as was installed originally or go with something else - what led you to decide to use the cedar?
1981 Endeavour 32

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
Old 01-21-2012

Andy--we decided to go with the cedar b/c the interior is too dark and we want to lighten it up a bit, not to mention the 3/4 inch cedar will add a bit of insulation. It's going to be tongue and grooved vertical staving. I will be posting pictures as we make progress.

Amy
Utopia
37' Endeavour Owner

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
Old 01-22-2012

Thanks Amy - would love to see pictures of the cedar as the project gets done.
1981 Endeavour 32

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Wendell Berry
Old 01-23-2012

MarioG is on a distinguished road
On page 27 of my webshot pages you can see my instalation on the new found metals ports. a drill small hand saw and a dremal tool was all thats needed. They make a very nice differance, looks and function.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/568869392suwBrk

Last edited by MarioG; 01-23-2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-23-2012

Can you post a link to your webshots page, Mario?
1981 Endeavour 32

- Wendell Berry
Old 01-26-2012
No more curry buffets

Ritchard is on a distinguished road
I had been talking above about the holding tank. My 32 year old one was was pretty skanky. The head had been replaced in the summer, along with the lines, but the brown old tank needed to go.

I had carefully measured the locker, and determined that the Todd 15 gal tank would fit. Westmarine was happy to order it for me. I wrestled out the old tank on a cold day, so any residual nasty contents were frozen into a yucksickle. The removal went pretty easily.

So I go to fit in the new tank, and was disappointed to learn that I did not measure quite as carefully as i thought I had. Due to the nature of compound curves, and their fundmental dislike of rectangles, the box was just a bit too big in the forward port corner. I spent quite a bit of time trying every which way to solve this spatial relations puzzle, but it appeared there was just no way to coerce this tank to fit - and it was SO close. I had a decision to make, return the tank the Westmarine, or act impulsively. This of course was an easy decision. I immediately got going with my heat gun and a hammer.

The heat gun did not deliver enough heat - especially on a cold day in January, so I carted the tank home for more heat. I ended up having my firebug 15 year old heat the tank with a torch, so I could bash it on the concrete floor of my basement workshop. We went a little bit at a time, and it turned out to be relatively easy to sort of cave in the corner an inch or so in each dimension. I ended up smoothing up the melted poly using what else but my newly cleaned and polished propeller that had been sitting on the workbench. It was like icing a cake. I let the tank cool, did a quick and dirty pressure test, and took the tank to the boat. It fit like a glove. Very happy.

Of course, wrestling on all the hoses to the fittings was a frustrating task, but I got it all done, thanks in great part to the application of personal lubricant.

last remaining bit of the task is the nasty old vent line. Just ran out of time.

Last edited by Ritchard; 01-26-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-15-2012

magicmoments is on a distinguished road
My winter project is replacing the rear oil seal on the perkins 4.108, 10 hours to move the engine forward to work on, 15 minutes to replace the seal, 6-8 hours to get it back in place, will probably change the motor mounts and some hose during the event. FWIW the seal cost about $10 bucks including postage.
Old 02-15-2012
No more curry buffets

Ritchard is on a distinguished road
Magic, that seems like my kind of job.

For those replacing the interior sides of the doghouse, the PO of my boat used white Fibre reinforced plastic. It looks nice, and I expect brightened the interior up quite a bit. I had never seen the before, but have seen photos of wood in that area.

R
Old 02-27-2012

As promised here are some pics of the before and during....
Attached Thumbnails
General discussion-portlights-before-1.jpg   General discussion-portcabintop-without-ply.jpg   General discussion-port-cedar-goingup-1.jpg   General discussion-port-cedar-going-up-3.jpg   General discussion-port-cedar-going-up-4.jpg  

Amy
Utopia
37' Endeavour Owner