SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

E32 Whisker pole

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Robbyn 
#1 ·
I'm curious to see how many E32 sailors out there have a whisker pole and use it? I'm contemplating adding one to my boat, but I'm not sure if I would use it enough for it to be worth the cost. I have an asymetric I rarely use, and don't go DDW all that often so don"t often have a floppy genoa to contend with, but maybe that would change with the addition of a pole?

What's your experience?

#2 ·
I have experienced many great runs under spinnaker (sym) on my friends E32 on the Chessy. The standard spin pole length for the E32 should be 13', which is the "J" dimension.
Whisker poles are generally not confined by the "J" dimension which is why they sell (expensive) adjustable poles.
Look for a used spin pole in the length of about 13'.

#4 ·
Have used our pole 3 times in the last 2 1/2 yr but then again we tore our spinnaker the last time we flew it. It was old and the white nylon parts dry rotted.

#5 · (Edited)
I have both a spinnaker pole (12') and a whisker pole (11 - 20') on my P28. I use my whisker pole frequently to pole out the genoa on a broad reach or running wing and wing, and find much greater speed with a more wing-like flatter shape than a rounder shape.

Here is a video of a poled-out genoa at speed:

By all means, get a whisker pole. It is a good introduction to using the spinnaker pole.

#6 ·
Thanks James....nice video - looks like that must have been a beautiful day on the water.

I've started scouring the used gear outlets for a moderately priced whisker pole.

Reactions: jameswilson29
#8 ·
I use my whisker pole pretty frequently when going downwind w my genoa. It's really easy to do a quick rig - that is, clipping it onto the bowline at the clew, threading it between the two front shrouds, and clipping it to the spinnaker ring on the front of the mast. I can do that in about 45 seconds, and in fact did so Monday on a shor tdownwind run.

When I will be going downwind for a long spell, I also rig a downhaul from the clew to a snatch block on the toe rail. I find if I keep the clew low I get better sail shape. As well, having the clew pitch up and down for hours at a time is annoying.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.